Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

CDG to Amsterdam - Thalys or better option?

CDG to Amsterdam - Thalys or better option?

Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Jericho-79
I purchased my train ticket on the Thalys website last night. Easy peasy. Departing Paris-Nord at 10:00 and arriving at Amsterdam Central Station at 14:00, and it only cost me 73€.

The website sent me an email confirmation with link to my ticket, which has a QR code on it. Will I need to scan that code at Paris-Nord?
Yes, there will be either an automated gate or employees at the entrance to the quai.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
On the TGV from De Gaulle I have a 25 minute stop in Brussels. Now that I think about it, I should have taken a longer stopover to eat some moules and frites!
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
On the luggage racks near the doors.
Allowance is 2 pieces of luggage not exceeding 30"*21"*12", and one piece of hand luggage.
There's more information here: https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/thalys.htm
I'm in the process of buying new checked luggage for my trip.

Will the Thalys penalize you if your luggage happens to be slightly larger than those dimensions?
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
I'm in the process of buying new checked luggage for my trip.

Will the Thalys penalize you if your luggage happens to be slightly larger than those dimensions?
Nver seen anyone checking tbh. If you can shove it on the train and it's not obviously oversized, you're good. There's no luggage checkpoint anywhere in the process, other than the conductor standing on the platform. Google "luggage storage Thalys" and have a look at the pictures of the storage between seats and near the doors - does this look like your new luggage will fit?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
does this look like your new luggage will fit?
This might be a little off-topic.

But I'm interested in this Berkley Jensen expandable checked luggage at my local Target.

The manufacturer's tags on the luggage don't give the dimension of the luggage.

The tags only read "29-Inch Spinner".

How am I supposed to tell what the dimensions are?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:30 pm

Lightbulb

This might be a little off-topic.

But I'm interested in this Berkley Jensen expandable checked luggage at my local Target.

The manufacturer's tags on the luggage don't give the dimension of the luggage.

The tags only read "29-Inch Spinner".

How am I supposed to tell what the dimensions are?
There is this thing called Google...
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
To reiterate: With the notable exception of the Eurostar trains to/from England to the Continent, there is no check-in. No one who will hold you back from bringing the kitchen sink (or foldable bike) on board a train.
You can bring as much luggage as you like, as long as you can carry it on board everything will be fine.
Yes, there are rules on paper. But the only place where these are enforced (sporadically) are the Eurostar trains.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 11:31 pm

Hey everyone. This time I have a question regarding the ICE trains.

When I booked my reservation for a one-way trip from Berlin to Munich, I selected second-class instead of first-class.

Apparently, when you go with first-class, you can select your seat during booking.

Since I'm in second-class, will there be open seating once I board the train?
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold

When I booked my reservation for a one-way trip from Berlin to Munich, I selected second-class instead of first-class.

Apparently, when you go with first-class, you can select your seat during booking.

You can sit on any seat that's unreserved. Same as in first class. The difference is that in second class the seat reservation costs extra. So unless you want to run the risk of not having a seat for (some of) your trip, go and buy some reserved seats ("Seat only - no ticket" option).
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Now that I think about it, I should have taken a longer stopover to eat some moules and frites!
Don't feel too bad... if your trip is between now and July, it's not mussle season anyway...
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
To reiterate: With the notable exception of the Eurostar trains to/from England to the Continent, there is no check-in. No one who will hold you back from bringing the kitchen sink (or foldable bike) on board a train.
You can bring as much luggage as you like, as long as you can carry it on board everything will be fine.
Yes, there are rules on paper. But the only place where these are enforced (sporadically) are the Eurostar trains.
The rules exist so the conductor can stop people who would actually try to bring the kitchen sink...
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:14 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond

Berlin to Munich is a long way with a fair bit of stops. Except if you are in really low season at a really weird time, at some point your seat will be reserved. In would recommend you to reserve a seat for such a long journey. You can do this on your already existing ticket, in the Deutsche Bahn website. Search for a tocket but at the beginning of the process, tick on “seat reservation only”.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Berlin to Munich is a long way with a fair bit of stops. Except if you are in really low season at a really weird time, at some point your seat will be reserved. In would recommend you to reserve a seat for such a long journey. You can do this on your already existing ticket, in the Deutsche Bahn website. Search for a tocket but at the beginning of the process, tick on “seat reservation only”.
I actually did this last weekend. I clicked on the "Seat Only" option for the same train # of my trip.

I then selected Seat 125 on the diagram before checkout. According to the diagram, my reserved seat is by the window and has a table in front of it.

I hope I did everything correctly.

The seat reservation was only an additional 4 euro.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
As of right now, both my TGV and Thalys trrfains are showing as operational tomorrow (Wednesday). How up to date is the traffic information on SNCF Connect? That's what I used to check train status. If not very accurate is there a better website to check for delays?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.