Wiki Posts
Search

Best site to book intra-Belgian travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2020, 11:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Best site to book intra-Belgian travel

I'm traveling from BRU (Brussels Airport-Zaventem) to Antwerpen Centraal. I know all tickets are cheap but I just wanna know for future reference what is the best way to book a train ticket.

A weekend saver ticket I found on belgiantrain.be seems to be the cheapest. It's about EUR 8 more on b-europe.com. Are there any other sites to check?

And btw, it seems I wasn't able to add my German rail card (BahnCard 25 First) anywhere on the belgiantrain.be site. Maybe it's not accepted?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 9:22 pm

www.belgiantrain.be is the official site of the Belgian railways. So that is the one that you need. (b.europe.com is also theirs, but it's the site for international travel.)
Anyway, you cannot "book" for domestic train trips: trains do not have a reservation system. You can simply buy a ticket (in the station or on-line) and get on the first train to your destination. (If you buy on-line in advance, make sure to choose the correct travel date.)

And I have no idea what you want to do with a German rail card when you are using a website of the Belgian railway company...
Aselwyn likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification.

As for the rail card question: Most rail companies in neighboring countries to Germany grant rebates to Bahncard holders that go above and beyond the usual cooperation on international itineraries with Railplus. E.g., SBB and cd.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Koby
And I have no idea what you want to do with a German rail card when you are using a website of the Belgian railway company...
In Europe, you can get a Railplus card which gives discounts with most or all train companies. It is my understanding that the ticketing train company shares part of the cost of the card with the other participating train companies. However, there are various restrictions. Some train companies set an age limit, only discount international tickets and/or only discount full-fare tickets. This often makes the Railplus card de facto useless. I don't know to what extent NMBS/SNCB accepts a Railplus card.

It seems that many German BahnCard variants include an integrated Railplus card.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 5:17 am

From what I can see, Railplus only gave you a discount on international travel. So maybe somewhere on www.b-europe.com there was/is an option to enter it

But it does not really matter anymore, as it looks as if NMBS/SNCB stopped cooperation with Railplus in December 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.