FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   European Rail Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel-654/)
-   -   Eurostar: train cancelled but no refund? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel/2014920-eurostar-train-cancelled-but-no-refund.html)

want2goeverywhere Apr 2, 2020 5:36 am

Eurostar: train cancelled but no refund?

I couldn't find a thread with the word eurostar in it in this Coronavirus forum, so am posting a new one.

We had eurostar tickets for end March - St Pancras / Gare du Nord & return.
Our outbound train was cancelled. I don't know if our return train was cancelled or not.

Eurostar are insisting that we are only entitled to a voucher, not a refund - is this correct?

I can understand that if we just didn't want to travel anymore, then a voucher seems reasonable. But we couldn't have travelled on the train we booked because they didn't run it...

Morland Apr 2, 2020 5:39 am

You are entitled to a refund, but Eurostar hide the option. Go to prr.eurostar.com to request your refund.

want2goeverywhere Apr 2, 2020 7:14 am

Mods - thanks for moving.

Morland - thanks for the feedback. I have pushed back on them again (I already requested a refund through the website directly and it wasn't processed).

Often1 Apr 2, 2020 8:30 am

Initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank) immediately. Provide a copy of the ticket, the cancellation and your request for a refund (or at least a note detailing when you requested it). If the refund comes through in the interim, simply withdraw the chargeback.

want2goeverywhere Apr 2, 2020 8:37 am

Eurostar never notified me that my train was cancelled - does anyone know where I can get an official list of which trains were cancelled?

Edit: I checked eurostar account 2 days before my travel date and it was listed as cancelled then.

Often1 Apr 2, 2020 3:24 pm

As a general proposition -- realizing that OP did get his resolved -- staffing shortages are such that the days of sending "official notices" and the like are over. If your flight / train is cancelled, look to the website and other sources, keep screenshots of everything.

want2goeverywhere Apr 5, 2020 4:09 am

All, I got confirmation from Eurostar this morning that they were processing a refund (from 24th March, could take 14 to 28 days to come through).

Would you stop the AMEX charge back/dispute now, or only when the refund is processed?

progapanda Apr 29, 2020 8:39 pm

I would wait for the money to show up in your account. I'm at day 45 of waiting so clearly Eurostar isn't binding themselves to that 28 day timeline.

Originally Posted by want2goeverywhere (Post 32265556)
All, I got confirmation from Eurostar this morning that they were processing a refund (from 24th March, could take 14 to 28 days to come through).

Would you stop the AMEX charge back/dispute now, or only when the refund is processed?

Mr. BoH Jul 13, 2020 8:22 am

Any more recent advice on Eurostar refunds? I have a trip scheduled this week to a station that Eurostar is currently not servicing due to covid. I wouldn't be making the trip anyway given that I can't even get into Europe, but have a strong preference for refund rather than voucher (who knows when I would be able to use a voucher). Is the best course of action just submitting to prr.eurostar.com ? Or is there a better approach?

cscasi Jul 14, 2020 7:19 am

S, why didn't you go to your bank and have a chargeback initiated for your refund not being processed?

Redheadpeter Jul 14, 2020 7:27 am

European law says you are entitled to a refund. All the airlines (pretty much) and hotels and the like are trying to push back on it by offering you vouchers (sometimes with an extra 20% or so - but what good is that if the company that gave you the voucher goes belly up?) Credit card companies are trying not to get involved, given that you have European law on your side. Just keep asking around for the best way to get your refund (It's known that on EasyJet there are phone numbers that aren't backed up where refunds get processed quickly).

Mr. BoH Jul 14, 2020 9:03 am

Part of the problem I am having is finding notice that the trip is "officially" cancelled. When I reached out to Eurostar, they just said "it's not cancelled yet", even though they aren't servicing the station and clearly aren't going to be anytime soon. As best I can tell, the only way I will be able to find any "proof" is wait until the day of and take a screenshot of the train status page.

I am planning to try with Eurostar one more time once the travel date hits. If that doesn't work I will explore the chargeback route, but I worry that won't work because I purchased the tickets a long time ago.

Mr. BoH Jul 16, 2020 2:41 pm

Update: coincidentally, I just got a formal cancellation email from Eurostar today. It tried to steer me in the direction of a voucher or reschedule, but after about 12 clicks I did find an option for refund online. Submitted and fingers crossed.

Update 2: refund posted to credit card about a week later with no issues. Pleasantly surprised after all the horror stories I heard about Eurostar. I even made $10 on the net transactions due to changes in exchange rates.

flood Jul 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Has anyone here taken an evoucher from eurostar? How long did it take to receive the voucher from the time you cancelled the trip/requested the voucher?

UKtravelbear Aug 1, 2020 3:15 am

Here seems to be a good place to post my Eurostar cancellation / rebooking experience.

I got an email on Thursday about the Brussels - St Pancras leg of Amsterdam to St Pancras trip being cancelled on the 1st September.

Whilst annoyed (I’d only booked it a couple of weeks ago) the email was clear to read and explained that It was the Brussels leg that had been cancelled (Unlike some airline emails where it was harder to work out hat had happened on multi leg trips)

The rebooking process was easy and it clearly presented me with a list of my options* for trains returning on the same day and was rebooked within seconds of hitting the button and them immediately able to select seats.

Switching to future dates there was no extra to pay even though the new booking fares had increased.

* and this was a full list of all available trains - I used another browser to check what was being sold - unlike BA which gave me a choice of 5 flights to rebook onto when there are at least a dozen on sale ...

Actually quite impressed especially compared to some of the airlines communications and rebooking processes.