Reload this Page >

DB Deutsche Bahn Refunds or Vouchers

Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue

I am just wondering if anybody is having any difficulties with ticket refunds on German rail Deutsche Bahn. Obviously, it makes sense to cancel tickets at the moment, especially cross border ones such as mine (between Switzerland and Germany), if for no other reason than it would probably be impossible to cross the border right now. It seems that the cheaper Sparpreis tickets can only be converted into a voucher (Gutschein) valid for future travel. I would be grateful if somebody could have a look at this, because the rules and restrictions are typically complicated, as always in Germany. My German is quite good, but I might have missed a subtlety somewhere. I was looking at the FAQs, under Kann ich meine Fahrkarte stornieren? and Wo kann ich meine Fahrkarte stornieren?

https://www.bahn.de/p/view/home/info...e_bahnde.shtml

In my case, I bought 2 Super Sparpreis one way tickets on 28th February for travel on the 26th and 30th March.
Good luck to you all out there!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:28 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Different country at sbb refunding "tickets" purchased through mobile or on line I note how Switz. handled this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

-- Just to update, it seems that Sparpreis, or Super Sparpreis, tickets can be used free of restriction until the 30th June on the same route. Any City Ticket connections which allow the use of local transport in the cities at either end of the ticket are cancelled and a new local ticket must be bought on arrival. Otherwise, the long distance ticket is good, apparently. I just wonder if it needs validation, or if you can just turn up on the train a month later and travel. Here is the German statement about this:

<Reisende, die aufgrund des Coronavirus ihre Reise verschieben möchten, können Ihre bis zum 13.03.2020 gekauften Tickets für Reisetage bis 30.04.2020 nun bis zum 30.06.2020 flexibel nutzen. Die Zugbindung bei Sparpreisen und Super Sparpreisen (national und international) ist aufgehoben.>

<Für Reisende mit Gruppenfahrkarte gilt diese flexible Nutzungsmöglichkeit jedoch nicht. Die Cityfunktion bei Sparpreisen ist ebenfalls nicht von der Sonderkulanz erfasst. Für die Fahrt zum/vom Bahnhof im Abgangs- oder Zielort ist eine neue Fahrkarte für den ÖPNV vor Ort zu erwerben.>

-- In terms of redunds, it seems it is only possible to apply for a voucher for DB tickets issued under the COC of Sparpreis, or Super Sparpreis. I wonder if it is ok to do this after the actual date of travel. Here is the statement in German on the site:

<Kunden, die aufgrund des Coronavirus ihre Reise nicht mehr antreten möchten, können ihre bis zum 13.03.2020 gebuchten Tickets mit Reisetag bis zum 30.04.2020 kostenfrei in einen Gutschein im Wert ihres Tickets umwandeln lassen. Das gilt auch für Super Sparpreise, Sparpreise und Gruppenfahrkarten. Den Antrag auf Erstattung nehmen wir bis zum 30.06.2020 entgegen.>

-- And of course, if you have a Flexpreis or Flexpreis Business, these can be refunded by using the usual channels:

<Reisende mit einem Flexpreis oder Flexpreis Business haben unabhängig von den aktuellen Sonderkulanzen die Möglichkeit, ihre Fahrkarten kostenlos zu stornieren. Diese Kunden werden gebeten, die üblichen Stornierungswege zu nutzen.>
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Since the 2nd April there is a new feature on the DB website which allows you to cancel your tickets without having to call or go to a ticket counter. You just need the ticket code and name of the passenger:

https://fahrkarten.bahn.de/privatkun...e&lang=de#stay

In my case, I had bought two tickets for somebody else who will not need to go to that particular destination again at any time in the future. I managed to cancel the ticket instantly and received the code for a voucher equivalent to the original price of the ticket. I think I will be able to use the code for a ticket in my name in the future, I don't see any reason why this would not be the case. I am happy to accept a voucher from Deutsche Bahn, because it is certain that they will be here in the future, unlike many of the airlines.

A couple of relevant data points:
- The ticket I cancelled had already taken place about a week ago;
- The voucher is valid for 3 years, which is really good.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:26 pm

Here's the English version of the DB COVID-19 info page, including cancellation info and links to the order lookup page mentioned above.
https://www.bahn.com/en/view/home/he...NA-Teaser_LZ01

I just converted my super-saver tickets into vouchers good for 3 years. The process was instantaneous.

I mailed them the paper ticket I purchased from DB which included travel on a now cancelled Bernina Express. I previously found a form I could use for that. Hopefully they will eventually process it. Not sure where to request a refund for the seat reservation for the Bernina Express so I tried the contact form on rhb.ch

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 6, 2020 at 6:32 pm
Old Apr 19, 2020, 1:57 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
Since the 2nd April there is a new feature on the DB website which allows you to cancel your tickets without having to call or go to a ticket counter. You just need the ticket code and name of the passenger:

https://fahrkarten.bahn.de/privatkun...e&lang=de#stay

In my case, I had bought two tickets for somebody else who will not need to go to that particular destination again at any time in the future. I managed to cancel the ticket instantly and received the code for a voucher equivalent to the original price of the ticket. I think I will be able to use the code for a ticket in my name in the future, I don't see any reason why this would not be the case. I am happy to accept a voucher from Deutsche Bahn, because it is certain that they will be here in the future, unlike many of the airlines.

A couple of relevant data points:
- The ticket I cancelled had already taken place about a week ago;
- The voucher is valid for 3 years, which is really good.
I applied for a couple of tickets but actually received nothing yet. After hitting submit I had a confirmation page but no voucher. Did you received them by email or snail mail ?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Here's the English version of the DB COVID-19 info page, including cancellation info and links to the order lookup page mentioned above.
https://www.bahn.com/en/view/home/he...NA-Teaser_LZ01

I just converted my super-saver tickets into vouchers good for 3 years. The process was instantaneous.

I mailed them the paper ticket I purchased from DB which included travel on a now cancelled Bernina Express. I previously found a form I could use for that. Hopefully they will eventually process it. Not sure where to request a refund for the seat reservation for the Bernina Express so I tried the contact form on rhb.ch

-David
I am sure they will process it in due course. The railway companies have generally been pretty decent over all this and, let's face it, the railways will still be here when this begins to settle down a bit. Obviously, they're not like the airlines but I have no fear taking a voucher which is valid for 3 years!

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I applied for a couple of tickets but actually received nothing yet. After hitting submit I had a confirmation page but no voucher. Did you received them by email or snail mail ?
When you cancelled it, a page should have replaced the one where you put your details in, with Auftrag - Stornierung written at the top. If you look right at the bottom, there is something called STORNO GUTSCHEIN under the column called Beschreibung. Just below it is written the voucher code, which should be 7 digits long (mix of letters and numbers). It's the 7 digits which precede the hash # symbol (for me, it's a musical sharp sign!). You should also have received an email (you gave them your email, didn't you?) which will show your Gutscheinnummer (voucher code).

Failing all that, I am sure if you call them up (or go into a ticket office) they will be able to pull up your old Auftrag number (like a 6-digit passenger PNR) from your ticket. You might be able to just feed it into the system yourself and bring it back up again.

Last edited by Concerto; Apr 19, 2020 at 3:30 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just did a bit of experimenting and I put my Auftrag (PNR) code into both the German and English language links above, and the cancelled ticket appeared immediately. You get a big red S, which stands for Storniert (cancelled). If you look right at the bottom, you can see the voucher code there after the words STORNO GUTSCHEIN FV (I presume the FV means Fahrkarte Verkauf). The following seven letters and numbers is your voucher (but not the hash # symbol, of course). So, you should be fine.

Last edited by Concerto; Apr 19, 2020 at 3:32 pm Reason: typos, grammar
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:50 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

This is all I get:

If I do the order search, my ticket is "processed" and the only thing I can do is change the seats (which then leads to an error as it is in the past). The tickets are Super Sparpreis.
They do have my email (this is a ticket buy on the app + I have a BahnCard 50 Comfort +).
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:51 am

Has anyone received a refund or voucher through submitting the form yet? I completed this around a month ago but haven't heard anything back yet. I have also tried the automated online facility but this unfortunately doesn't work for me as my credit card details have changed since making the booking. Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2020, 4:19 am

DB send communication that BahnCard holder will get "something" - no detail as to what - to compensate for lack of travel and missed points/status. I filled the form linked in the mail send and nothing back yet, not even a confirmation email.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:43 am

DB send communication that BahnCard holder will get "something" - no detail as to what - to compensate for lack of travel and missed points/status. I filled the form linked in the mail send and nothing back yet, not even a confirmation email.
Thanks - sounds like you are in the same situation. I was expecting a confirmation email at least, even if just an automated one. I just called to ask for an update and the agent told me that they have around an 8 week timeframe for processing cash and voucher refunds at the moment, but assured me they would all be processed. I will give it a few more weeks before chasing again.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is all I get:

If I do the order search, my ticket is "processed" and the only thing I can do is change the seats (which then leads to an error as it is in the past). The tickets are Super Sparpreis.
They do have my email (this is a ticket buy on the app + I have a BahnCard 50 Comfort +).
Did you by any chance submit this before they developed the new refund/voucher feature which started on 2nd April? That could be the reason if so.
I am sure you will get your voucher one way of the other (remember, it's valid for a whole 3 years). If you're not able to pull the booking up, somebody at the call center will be able to, or at a ticket office.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:03 am

I submitted this last week. I will wait for a snail mail. Anyway my next predicted train trip is not before some time, so as you recommend if I get nothing next time I travel I pass by the reisezentrum and ask them.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A snail mail? It should pop into your email account. Are you a member of bahnbonus, the points collecting scheme of Deutsche Bahn? Maybe that helps for getting an immediate resolution. Reckon you'll get sorted out in the end, if you can hang on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.