Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Nightjet Vienna-Venice

Nightjet Vienna-Venice

Old Feb 10, 20, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Nightjet Vienna-Venice

We're planning to use the Nightjet between Vienna and Venice in September - a 2 bed private sleeper, perhaps with the toilet/shower option, or not.
Many of the reviews i've read elsewhere report a less than enjoyable experience, especially with the service on-board and sanitary conditions.

Anyone any recent experiences about the NJ, good or bad, or any tips for using it?
is the private shower/toilet with the deluxe option worth the 40euro extra?

And, exactly how much space (height) is there for bags under the bottom bunk? A large 30cm case will fit?

Mal
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Assuming these are the same rolling stock at the DB City Night Line trains that used to run Munich-Rome, I'd say absolutely worth it (I've ridden them between Munich and Italy a few times). Nice to have the shower & toilet w/o having to share, though it is a bit small (shower head also serves as your sink faucet).

I seem to remember space under the bottom berth being quite short as the bottom berth folds up (or down) to become a day-time seat. Main baggage storage is the area above the door (or really above the corridor) so you have to heave the bag up there. You can in a pinch, use the space where the door to the adjoining cabin is located.

What we did on our most recent trip was stock up with goodies on boarding in Rome and ate dinner in cabin. You could perhaps do the same in Wien.
Old Feb 11, 20, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by MalFr View Post
We're planning to use the Nightjet between Vienna and Venice in September - a 2 bed private sleeper, perhaps with the toilet/shower option, or not.
Many of the reviews i've read elsewhere report a less than enjoyable experience, especially with the service on-board and sanitary conditions.

Anyone any recent experiences about the NJ, good or bad, or any tips for using it?
is the private shower/toilet with the deluxe option worth the 40euro extra?

And, exactly how much space (height) is there for bags under the bottom bunk? A large 30cm case will fit?

Mal
To help you choose, take a look at this comprehensive article on 'Seat 61'

Never heard complaints about cleanliness, though
Old Feb 18, 20, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, looks like we'll go for it.
I'm presently intrigued by the shower head/sink relationship but when we get there i'm sure we'll not even give it a second glance

Looks like one of our bags will open out, so around 15cm in height-ish. The other bag will have to fend for itself above the door if i can lift it that high.
seat61 has been well read, many times

Mal
Old Feb 18, 20, 8:22 pm

I took the Berlin-Vienna NightJet last spring, and enjoyed it myself. It's a typical sleeper train experience (some people like them, others don't, but it's worth trying one once to see which group you're in).

The rolling stock I was on was relatively new, clean, and in good repair. I didn't have the in-compartment shower, but still had a private washbasin and electrical outlets. There was a shower at the end of the car that was perfectly fine.

There was no dining car, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was a (limited) dining menu available on-board (you eat it in your compartment). I didn't try it myself, because I'd already eaten before boarding, but it looked OK (and the prices were reasonable). The included breakfast was quite respectable.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: