Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

OBB Railjet booking late Dec 2019

OBB Railjet booking late Dec 2019

Old Nov 5, 19, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by BMWMOT View Post
Where were you when I needed you The fare you quoted is less than what I paid but I'm not sure if it's full fare flexible. I got a few messages during the process that no changes were allowed.
Still no response from OBB to my email. It's been about a week. So at this point I still don't know how to use my ticket with no specific train listed.
The top left corner does say CIV 1181 (whatever that is) then below that HF 10.04.20-13.04.20. I take that means it''s valid between Apr 10-13.
Again, just take any train?
Yes, you can take any train within the validity period shown on the ticket. CIV is the International Convention for the Transport of Passengers, which includes rights in the event of cancellations and missed connections amongst other things. 1181 is OeBB's CIV code and must be shown on all international tickets issued by OeBB.

Last edited by railways; Nov 5, 19 at 11:18 am
Old Nov 23, 19, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by alpenlupe View Post
railways thanks for all that, very useful information. I'll compare prices on MAV for that train to Zurich when I finally am able to book.

I did just try a dummy booking on OBB Vienna - St Anton on my date (28 Dec) and I get the same message so I'm not sure the blame lies with MAV.
The MAV website is now open for bookings after the December timetable change.

When I checked, Budapest - Zurich on RJX 162 on 28th December was EUR 59 in 2nd class and ...... EUR 59 in first class. I'll bet that Vienna - St Anton fares on the same train are more expensive.
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Nov 23, 19, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC silver
Thanks for that - I've been checking every day on both MAV and OEBB and finally today I can book on MAV - great prices too, especially for 1st class. I guess OEBB will follow tomorrow but, yes, it's sure to be more pricey.
If I go ahead and book 1st class on MAV do you know if I'll be able to choose carriage / seat?

Also: I'm sure in the past on OEBB I've been able to choose seat/carriage prior to payment when booking but now when I do a dummy booking there doesn't seem to be an option for seat selection (even with reserved seating in business or first) - does the seat selection option come up after payment (on OEBB)?

Last edited by alpenlupe; Nov 23, 19 at 6:48 am
Old Nov 23, 19, 9:48 am

The MAV website is clunky and there is not an option to choose seats, unfortunately.

I haven't booked on OeBB for some time, but there was a seat selection option so I'd be surprised if it has been shelved.
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 9:44 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Just can share my experience booking an OEBB 1st class ticket (MUC-VIE) on Deutsche Bahn. You can book the train but not the reservation. One reason for this is that OEBB opens up seats for reservation only a few weeks before while Deutsche Bahn let's you book much earlier. Second it seems Deutsche Bahn and OEBB still struggling on the IT interface to process seat reservations. So what I did was to book the ticket on Deutsche Bahn and to book the reservation separately on OEBB when it was available. Problem with this is that normally on Deutsche Bahn the seat reservation for 1st class is included int he ticket but now I had to pay for it. Still better than not having a seat (it was a holiday and 1st class was completely full).
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:27 am
Original Poster

I've seen this somewhere else - booking the ticket & seat reservation separately. Question: how do they match the ticket with the seat reservation? Or are they totally separate? - in which case i guess someone could block a seat and prevent someone else reserving/using it for just €3.

Regarding my journey (Budapest - St Anton) - it is still not showing for my dates ton OEBB though as railways states above it can be booked on MAV (to Zurich). I'm going to go ahead and book on MAV 1st class (€59) . Question: will I be able to reserve a business class seat on top of the MAV booking (which I think includes lounge access in Budapest + meal on train) on OEBB when it becomes available on OEBB (looks like business class costs just €15 extra).

Edit: I just tried to book 1st class on MAV. I'm actually booking for 2 and it looks like the €59 1st class for one person is an error. When I change to 2 people it quotes €158 (€79 each), so not quite as good a deal as originally thought. I could try booking 2 separate tickets at €59 and then hope to reserve business class seats together later on OEBB but there's a risk we wouldn't be seated together if that strategy failed.

Last edited by alpenlupe; Nov 25, 19 at 11:40 am
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:11 pm

Looks like only one seat is available at EUR 59. If you book for two, it will show the higher price.

Unfortunately, if you make two separate bookings (one at EUR 59 and one at EUR 79) you may well not get adjacent seat reservations. That is a real pain on the MAV website.

If there are non-reserved seats in Business class when you board in Budapest (check the electronic indicator above each seat), you can occupy them and pay the EUR 15 supplement each on the train. However, the Railjets to Switzerland are very popular in First and Business class, so you may well be unlucky.

By the way:

1. A First class ticket also gets you lounge access in Budapest, but it is absolutely nothing to write home about, frankly. Just a waiting room with free tea/coffee/soft drinks.

2. You do not get an included meal in Business class - only a better seat and a welcome drink (includes beer or wine).
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

I've gone ahead and booked 2 first class seats on MAV at €79 each. It has allocated 2 seats side by side. Was hoping to get a table for 2 with opposing seats and will try to change to that when we board but no big deal.
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by alpenlupe View Post
I've seen this somewhere else - booking the ticket & seat reservation separately. Question: how do they match the ticket with the seat reservation? Or are they totally separate? - in which case i guess someone could block a seat and prevent someone else reserving/using it for just 3..
They don't match it. You get ticket for transportation and a ticket for your seat. The conductor only checks the normal ticket and does not care about your reservation. The reservation is only for you to show if someone else is sitting in your seat. At Deutsche Bahn reservations normally get invalid if you are not claiming your seat within 15 minutes and it often happens that seats are reserved but no one shows up. Normally happens when people have to change travel plans on short notice. The reservations system on board the train is not real time. When I did a lot of business travel I had to change travel plans often last minute and gave up my reservation.

Search this Thread