Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

ICE 1st Class - No Seats Available for reservation -- Should I worry?

Old Aug 9, 19, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus

Hi,

I bought a 1st class ticket for ICE, FRA-Linz, on a Saturday. I tried to book a seat, but it said none was available. My ticket is written for that specific train (ICE27 on Aug 31).

Should I be concerned? Would they sell more tickets than they have seats?
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:45 am

First off, there are a bunch of reasons why a reservation might not be possible. One is that they may block reservations in case of construction or such until the re-routing has been confirmed. Another reason no reservations are possible is that the train is fully booked (and yes, they do oversell).

I'm not a rail travel nerd, but from looking at ICE 27 on your date, it looks as if, in your instance, the train is fully booked in the sense that all 1st class seats have been reserved. So currently, no first class seat reservations are available. Still, I wouldn't be concerned.

The no-show rate for 1st class seat reservations is HUGE. Note that with DB, your train ticket (allowing you to travel on a certain train or route) and the seat reservation are basically completely separate entities. While is does occasionally happen that no 1st class seat is available, it's very rare. Usually, many if not most seat reservations in 1st go unused. Again, it's a very different system to other high-speed train networks where seat reservations and tickets are closely linked.
Old Aug 11, 19, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Thanks, I won't worry. (Too much).

Strange system.
Old Aug 11, 19, 5:43 pm
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
Generally FC seats are taken by business travelers and they don't usually travel on Saturdays.
Tour groups on "leisure" routes would be an exception--is FRA-LINZ a "leisure" route?
Old Aug 11, 19, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
Generally FC seats are taken by business travelers and they don't usually travel on Saturdays.
Tour groups on "leisure" routes would be an exception--is FRA-LINZ a "leisure" route?
I think the train goes on to Vienna ,which is oviously both. Though I would fly that route. (Surprisingly few flights available to Linz).
Old Aug 12, 19, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
Yeah, most def (not the entire route Dortmund-Vienna, but it's mostly gonna be leisure travellers post Nuremberg or so).

The ICE27 is a model ICE-T train which has a relatively small 1st class--just 1 1/2 cars out of 7. That's below average for DB's high-speed trains (e.g., the ICE 1 has a much bigger fraction of 1st class coaches).
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speed.skater View Post
Yeah, most def (not the entire route Dortmund-Vienna, but it's mostly gonna be leisure travellers post Nuremberg or so).

The ICE27 is a model ICE-T train which has a relatively small 1st class--just 1 1/2 cars out of 7. That's below average for DB's high-speed trains (e.g., the ICE 1 has a much bigger fraction of 1st class coaches).
Thanks. Is it worth continuing to check, or a waste of time?
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf View Post
No, you might wanna check a few times until the date approaches. People on flex tickets are allowed to change their seat reservation for free. So it's possible a few seats open up due to rebookings.

From the OP, I take your ticket is Sparpreis or Supersparpreis. As you didn't make a reservation during booking, I think you'd have to call the hotline to make a free seat reservation at this point. (You can continue to check availability online, but I don't think you'll be able to make a reservation free of charge.)

But, once again, I wouldn't bother too much. You'll probably find a seat either way.
Old Aug 14, 19, 5:24 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf View Post
My guess is that there is no one seat which is open for the whole trip at the moment. So keep checking. If you don't get a reservation you might will find empty seats for part of the trip or you will need to settle in 2nd class.
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll see what happens.
Old Aug 15, 19, 6:54 am

Tips for the OP:

1. There are always a small number of seats which are unreserved - you may get lucky and grab one of these. On this train, these tend to be seats 46 and 55 (amongst others) in coach 28.

2. Some seats are reserved for "BahnComfort" (DB loyalty card) holders - you may sit in one of these and will only have to give it up if a BC cardholder shows up. These tend to be seats 54 and 56 in coach 28 (and maybe some others).

3. You can sit in seats marked as reserved for disabled passengers unless they are needed.

4. You can sit in seats indicated as reserved for last-minute reservations, unless someone shows up with a reservation for that seat. (Note that quite often this happens).

5. After leaving Frankfurt, look out for seats which are reserved from Frankfurt but not occupied. After about 15 minutes, the reservation will disappear from the electronic display, and these seats are then free for anyone to occupy.

Check the seat plan for seat locations.

I travel on this route regularly, generally with an Interrail pass, and I never reserve a seat. I usually make a beeline for the "BahnComfort" seats (seat 56 being my favourite) and have only ever had to move once (to the seat opposite).
Old Aug 15, 19, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by railways View Post
I usually make a beeline for the "BahnComfort" seats (seat 56 being my favourite) and have only ever had to move once (to the seat opposite).
I know it's well within your rights to do them until claimed by somebody who's BahnComfort, but I still don't like it.

In practice, if you're BahnComfort (like me) and find these seats occupied, there's nothing you can do. Obv, you're not gonna start guessing on your own who's BahnComfort and who isn't and demanding from people sitting their to show their status card. It's impractical to ask a conductor to get you a BahnComfort seat, too. So if these are occupied, you're SOL.
Koby likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Railways, thanks for that detailed info. I'll definitely take it with me!
Old Aug 31, 19, 4:12 am
Original Poster

OP here, Iím on the train. Sitting in 24 which was unreserved, after getting adjacent pax to grudgingly remove his bag from it.

Quite a a few people are standing though. But not me.

thanks again for the advice.
LIH Prem and railways like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:07 pm

Good for you

Search this Thread