Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

TGV Refund process vs CC dispute for TGV canceled train

TGV Refund process vs CC dispute for TGV canceled train

Reply

Old Jul 3, 19, 10:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LAX
Posts: 2,688
TGV Refund process vs CC dispute for TGV canceled train

Hello folks,
I had a ticket for Oulx, Italy to Geneva, Switzerland on the TGV connecting to the TER. The TGV leg was canceled by TGV without notice due to storm damage. There was no way to fix things in Oulx because it's an unmanned Trenitalia station, and the only other train running that route showed full, so I took the flixbus.

Now I'm trying to get a refund for the train ticket. I called, but they told me to email with proof that I took the flixbus. I paid cash and discarded the receipt, so I don't have that. I emailed them a refund request anyway and they replied asking for unspecified documents. I replied asking what they wanted, and got no response.

I'm thinking this is going to be a months long bureaucratic teeth pulling session, and maybe I'm better off filing a credit card dispute for services not provided. I saved screenshots showing that the train was not operated, and I saved a screenshot from SNCF saying the same thing. On the other hand, it has only been three days since the incident, so maybe I should give it more time.

Any advice? I'm in Switzerland now so going to a SNCF office to fix things is impossible. Thanks!
lobo411 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 19, 1:50 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 16
SNCF has their "G30" guarantee for delayed trains -you could try that? They may reject it and force you to go through the trenitalia system, though
https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-ser...tgv-intercites.
For claims involving journeys with at least 1 leg on French trains I've found it pretty easy and quick - within 2 weeks.

Mal
MalFr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 19, 1:12 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LAX
Posts: 2,688
Originally Posted by MalFr View Post
SNCF has their "G30" guarantee for delayed trains -you could try that? They may reject it and force you to go through the trenitalia system, though
https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-ser...tgv-intercites.
For claims involving journeys with at least 1 leg on French trains I've found it pretty easy and quick - within 2 weeks.

Mal
Thanks for the reply! I'll give it some time then. I bought the ticket with the Oui app and both legs were to be operated by SNCF, so hopefully it'll be easy.
lobo411 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 19, 3:48 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: somewhere between Europe and Africa, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Posts: 7,603
Just FYI - the fact that you took flixbus should be irrelevant. The train did not operate - services not rendered. Throwing flixbus into the mix - they may try to say that you used your ticket on flixbus instead, and do not deserve a refund, or some such nonsense.
Palal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 19, 12:54 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LAX
Posts: 2,688
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Just FYI - the fact that you took flixbus should be irrelevant. The train did not operate - services not rendered. Throwing flixbus into the mix - they may try to say that you used your ticket on flixbus instead, and do not deserve a refund, or some such nonsense.
Thanks for the reply! Good point... They haven't replied to my email asking them what documents they wanted, so I'm just going to give it to the credit card company. I'll keep it simple: train was canceled by operator, services not rendered, and I made a good faith effort to get a refund without success.
lobo411 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 19, 8:42 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by lobo411 View Post
Hello folks,
I had a ticket for Oulx, Italy to Geneva, Switzerland on the TGV connecting to the TER. The TGV leg was canceled by TGV without notice due to storm damage. There was no way to fix things in Oulx because it's an unmanned Trenitalia station, and the only other train running that route showed full, so I took the flixbus.
In your case I would have taken that “full” train. The moment a train gets cancelled I just take whatever goes the way I need to go.
KayVeeBee is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread