Wiki Posts
Search

Help with itinerary Netherland, Switzerland, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Help with itinerary Netherland, Switzerland, Italy

First off, we are 2 active seniors with no train travel experience, English speaking and some Spanish (which will not help on this trip).

We will be flying into Amsterdam late May or June 2020 for 1 month or more if needed.

Amsterdam 4-5 days as a base to visit small towns in the Netherlands.
Switzerland for up to a week. The goal there is to see the alps and scenery.
Lugano 2-3 nights
Venice 2 nights before board a cruise to see some of Croatia.
Flying back out of either Venice or Rome depending on end destination on cruise.

After researching Man in seat 61, and many other sites I am more confused than ever, especially the Switzerland portion.

I am trying to decide between flying from AMS to ZRH (or train and overnight stop in Cologne) and then taking train to Zermatt 2 nights, Glacier Express to Bernina Express and Bernina bus to Lugano. Would we see enough of the alps scenery by just taking the Bernina Express Zurich, spending the night in Chur and then Tirano on the other end before heading to Lugano?

I have also read about the Golden Pass train and wondered about incorporating it in somehow?

I know we can do the regular trains but I am concered about changing trains in route with luggage (although we will pack light with one medium roller each) and the language and signage barrier speaking only english.

I am trying to figure out how to get a taste of the alps and where to stay and for how many nights to get the best scenery.

Any advice on where to start or how to change this itinerary would be very helpful.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta PM
I'd check this site out:
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...rtation/trains

There are a few other train dedicated sites that I found helpful when I was debating a train trip from Venice to Northern Europe. I don't remember the names, but found them using Google.
Have fun.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Thanks, I will check out the Rick Steves site.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:52 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gnggng

I know we can do the regular trains but I am concered about changing trains in route with luggage (although we will pack light with one medium roller each) and the language and signage barrier speaking only english.

In Holland English is the "second" language, in Switzerland "fourth."

In Italy Spanish may be helpful, it is for fluent speakers.

Signage at train stations pretty much always includes English, so switching trains should be pretty easy. The only thing is that trains tend to sit quite a bit above the platform, so lifting the luggage may be a bit difficult, and while I don't need help (I travel with a smallish backpack and rollaboard that fits in a 737 overhead bin), I've always seen that someone will lend a hand to lift luggage onto a train.
:D! likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Travelling with a medium roller will be fine. Most of the time, you'll be able to slip a suitcase between the seat rows on the Swiss trains where you have the seats being back to back.

The Bernina Express doesn't go anywhere near Zürich. While Chur is a nice enough place, it's not so interesting to wander around. You could head up to St. Moritz or Pontresina, spend the night, and then continue on to Tirano.

There are Trenitalia trains from Tirano to Milano and Como, but they're not quite as nice as the Postbus option.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:49 am

The Man in Seat 61 is an excellent resource for travelling by train.

You might consider stopping off in Alsace en route for Switzerland, and I'd also recommend Lucerne (Luzern) as a good place to base yourself. Be aware that Milan Central where you change trains for Venice can be very busy and your connection time can be short. Keep a very close eye on your luggage and just keep focussed on making your connection. The arrival on the causeway to Venice is amazing ... as is the shock when you leave the station by the main steps .... ENJOY!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.