Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

England: Chunnel to France/Belgium then Eurorail through Europe?

Old Mar 11, 19, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

i plan on going to England (Southampton) in late April via cruise ship from USA. i'm male in my 40s, going solo, and have a US passport.
Once in England, do some tourist stuff for a few days.

then i want to take the Chunnel to Europe then tour everywhere via Eurorail.
the problem is that im not the plan it type thus why i cruise.
the cruise ship sets the itinerary and has shore excursions for each country/port.

recommendations for:
1) doing England on the cheap?
2) cheap multi-country Eurorail tours?

oh, i only speak English.

thx
Old Mar 11, 19, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snail View Post
I plan on going to England (Southampton) in late April via cruise ship from USA. I'm male in my 40s, going solo, and have a US passport.
Once in England, do some tourist stuff for a few days.

Then I want to take the Chunnel to Europe then tour everywhere via Eurorail.
The problem is that I'm not the plan it type thus why I cruise.
The cruise ship sets the itinerary and has shore excursions for each country/port.

Recommendations for:

Oh, I only speak English.
England and cheap are words not usually used together.
Look here (UK rail in this forum) --->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/

Look at this thread a little down the forum---->Other options besides Eurail?
Old Mar 12, 19, 3:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond and A3*G
recommendations for:
1. Eat in Wetherspoons, stay above pubs, shop in supermarkets, travel on foot.

2. There is no such thing as "Eurorail". If you can't be bothered to plan your own trip, you'll need to pay a travel agent. Try https://www.railbookers.com
der_saeufer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:27 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
the cruise ship sets the itinerary and has shore excursions for each country/port.
I'm not sure I understood you correctly. Are you going via ship to Southampton and finish your cruise or do you continue via ship or do you continue via the cruise ship? I ask because if your itinerary is set by the cruise ship how can we suggest you a rail trip through Europe? If I'm wrong and your cruise ends in Southampton and you can freely plan your trip afterward please give us some hints what besides a trip through the Eurotunnel you want to do? Visiting European capitals, country side, cities with art museums, WWI or II sites, etc.?

About "Eurorail" you probably mean Eurail where you can buy special rail passes. The website has tools to help you plan and select the best pass for you. You might want to try it out.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 12, 19, 5:04 pm

This may help:
www.seat61.com
farci likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
England and cheap are words not usually used together.
The OP seems to be from the USA so should find England to be considerably cheaper than the USA. Going the other way, to the Bay Area, I find food and wine prices to be nearly double those in England and the same goes for acceptable accommodation.
Old Mar 13, 19, 8:03 am

Are you crossing on QM2 or on a repositioning cruise operated by another line? Either way, but particularly if you're crossing on a Cunard ship, you're going to find that packing for a cruise ship is going to collide head-on with backpacking across Europe.
Old Mar 13, 19, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
Are you crossing on QM2 or on a repositioning cruise operated by another line? Either way, but particularly if you're crossing on a Cunard ship, you're going to find that packing for a cruise ship is going to collide head-on with backpacking across Europe.
Except that a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 is not a cruise, as the captain often notes in his welcome remarks. If the OP doesn't want to pack a tuxedo, he'll still have to have long pants and shirts in order to eat in the cafeteria in the evening. By the way, I'll be on the QM2 on the New York-Southampton voyage April 21-28.
Old Mar 14, 19, 4:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Doing England on the cheap is possible. Look at pre-booking hotels like Travelodge (different to US Travelodge) and Premier Inn. If you want to eat out, lunchtime offers are much better than evening. Lots of supermarkets have good food options, and vouchers for eating out are everywhere. Transport can be expensive, but there are bargains on trains and domestic flights if you're flexible and book early (for a fixed service). But if you want cheap, you're much less likely to find it in London than elsewhere in the country.

Services through the tunnel are run by Eurostar. These are priced like air fares, so again, book early.

Once in France or Belgium, then you have the option of using a Eurail pass (note that this term refers to the pass, not the train company - most European countries have several train companies these days!) or booking services independently. If you're flexible and can commit in advance to specific trains, you may find the latter better value.

As for where to go? Well, what do you like to do? Do you want to visit city, seaside, countryside, mountains? Do you want fast trains, overnight trains, scenic trains, comfortable trains? Are you there for the food, the sights, partying, museums, relaxing? And crucially, how long do you have?
Old Mar 14, 19, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Track View Post
Except that a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 is not a cruise, as the captain often notes in his welcome remarks. If the OP doesn't want to pack a tuxedo, he'll still have to have long pants and shirts in order to eat in the cafeteria in the evening. By the way, I'll be on the QM2 on the New York-Southampton voyage April 21-28.
Yes, and it's not a cruise ship, it's an ocean liner. Regardless, I'd find it damn near impossible to pack in a way to meet the ship's dress code AND backpack across Europe.
Old Mar 14, 19, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by stut View Post
Doing England on the cheap is possible. Look at pre-booking hotels like Travelodge (different to US Travelodge) and Premier Inn. If you want to eat out, lunchtime offers are much better than evening. Lots of supermarkets have good food options, and vouchers for eating out are everywhere. Transport can be expensive, but there are bargains on trains and domestic flights if you're flexible and book early (for a fixed service). But if you want cheap, you're much less likely to find it in London than elsewhere in the country.

Services through the tunnel are run by Eurostar. These are priced like air fares, so again, book early.

Once in France or Belgium, then you have the option of using a Eurail pass (note that this term refers to the pass, not the train company - most European countries have several train companies these days!) or booking services independently. If you're flexible and can commit in advance to specific trains, you may find the latter better value.

As for where to go? Well, what do you like to do? Do you want to visit city, seaside, countryside, mountains? Do you want fast trains, overnight trains, scenic trains, comfortable trains? Are you there for the food, the sights, partying, museums, relaxing? And crucially, how long do you have?
Eurail passes are good on Eurostar.
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:25 pm

Yes, and it's not a cruise ship, it's an ocean liner. Regardless, I'd find it damn near impossible to pack in a way to meet the ship's dress code AND backpack across Europe.
I was on the QM2 a couple of years ago, and a young man at our table, who had evidently been zipping around the U.S. on the cheap, got around the formal-dress requirement on gala nights (tuxedo or dark suit) elegantly by wearing dark slacks and a black turtle-neck shirt of some fine fabric. He looked great. If it's good enough for Seiji Ozawa, it was certainly good enough for him!

Last edited by Track; Mar 14, 19 at 5:47 pm
Old Mar 15, 19, 3:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Eurail passes are good on Eurostar.
Ah, you learn something every day. Shame I don't qualify

My frame of reference is the InterRail pass, circa 1992, where Eurostar didn't exist, and UK passholders could, at best, get a discount on boat train services to Dover Marine or Folkestone Harbour.
Old Mar 16, 19, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by stut View Post
Ah, you learn something every day. Shame I don't qualify

My frame of reference is the InterRail pass, circa 1992, where Eurostar didn't exist, and UK passholders could, at best, get a discount on boat train services to Dover Marine or Folkestone Harbour.
Well, presumably you do qualify for an Interrail pass which is also valid on Eurostar (subject to paying a reasonable passholder fare). You also have a free round-trip from anywhere in GB to your port of departure (London if you're taking Eurostar). Great if you're coming down from somewhere like Edinburgh - not so useful from Biggleswade, I guess.

To the OP - the global Eurail pass is valid in Great Britain from this year, so could be useful if you're also planning some long-distance trips there.