Wiki Posts
Search

Odd question re SNCF booking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Odd question re SNCF booking

Kindly bear with me, as my question is somewhat convoluted. I'm traveling around Europe in April & May, all on trains. I've been booking tickets as soon as they're released, most bookings on "thetrainline.com." Everything went fine until I made a booking last week for Avignon to Valence d'Agen (small city between Toulouse and Bordeaux).

I input May 8 as the travel date, which is a big national holiday in France. I had the flu (a little under the influence of the meds) and booked the ticket before realizing it actually booked for May 9 instead of the 8th. I immediately e-mailed customer service to try to change the ticket, but am stuck in neverland and not getting a response. It is one of those non-changeable tickets.

When I checked today it seems there is a reduced service schedule on May 8 (the Nimes to Toulouse train is not showing at all), so I may need to keep the ticket for the 9th and give up a night visiting my friends near Valence d'Agen. My booking/ticket is via 3 separate trains and states it's only good on that date of travel: Avignon Centre to Nimes (TER 2nd class), Nimes to Toulouse (TGV 1st class), Toulouse to Valence d'Agen (TER 2nd class). I would now like to travel Avignon Centre to Nimes on the previous day (that train does show as running on the holiday). It seems Nimes has lots of interesting Roman ruins and sounds like a nice one-night stopover.

Now (finally) for my question. Will I be able to use the Avignon Centre to Nimes TER ticket (unreserved and only 2nd class is offered) on May 8, then the rest of the ticket as written for May 9? I've searched around and am unable to find out whether the Avignon Centre to Nimes leg can be used on any day. I don't want to get on the train and have a crabby conductor tell me my ticket is invalid, it would just be my luck. I realize I can buy a separate ticket for about €10, but why spend the money if not necessary?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA
It seems the answer is no— ticket valid only on date of travel no changes.

Valable sur TER uniquement pour la date de voyage choisie. Billet non-échangeable et non-remboursable.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:10 pm

I did a test booking for Avignon to Nimes only.

is it really worth the risk for 9.90 Euros?

it is not a crabby conductor— would you buy a movie ticket in advance and expect to use the ticket for a showing on another day?

Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I will buy a separate ticket Avignon to Nimes and enjoy the day in what looks to be an interesting town with many well-preserved Roman ruins.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Thank you for the replies. I will buy a separate ticket Avignon to Nimes and enjoy the day in what looks to be an interesting town with many well-preserved Roman ruins.
It is a lovely town and well worth it. It is just not worth the risk of having to pay a fine. Peace of mind is worth more than 10 Euro.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Why are you not booking with SNCF directly?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Palal
Why are you not booking with SNCF directly?
Perhaps this has changed recently, but I've always had issues booking directly with SNCF using a US credit card.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

I tried to make a direct booking with SNCF today, it was a complete and utter failure. It kept taking my booking then rejecting seat selection and telling me "that train is no longer available." This happened 3 times. I finally gave up and used thetrainline.com again. The booking went through just fine in the class I specified, no problems with seat selection or payment.
linglingfool likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.