Reload this Page >

No direct trains between Schiphol and Amsterdam Centraal on 9/15

Old Sep 4, 18, 4:09 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: Former CO OnePass, UA, AA, DL, Starwood & other hotel chains

All trains on this route operate with a connection and the entire trip takes a lot longer than usual on that day. Does anyone know what is going on?
Thank you!
Old Sep 4, 18, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS, UA
maintenance on the line: https://www.ns.nl/binaries/_ht_15288...-september.pdf
Old Sep 4, 18, 7:18 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SounderTID View Post
Thank you. Trying to get from Bruxelles Midi to Schiphol that day. Thayls does not stop in Schiphol on 9/15. I thought I would just go Bruxelles-Amsterdam Centraal, and from there to Schiphol. But this involves taking TWO trains from Centraal to Schiphol. it might be easier to do Bruxelles-Rotherdam and go from Rotherdam to Schiphol on a regular IC train. As far as I can tell, the NS Intercity trains still run on the Rotherdam-Schiphol line.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome!
Old Sep 6, 18, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by txp View Post
Thank you. Trying to get from Bruxelles Midi to Schiphol that day. Thayls does not stop in Schiphol on 9/15. I thought I would just go Bruxelles-Amsterdam Centraal, and from there to Schiphol. But this involves taking TWO trains from Centraal to Schiphol. it might be easier to do Bruxelles-Rotherdam and go from Rotherdam to Schiphol on a regular IC train. As far as I can tell, the NS Intercity trains still run on the Rotherdam-Schiphol line.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome!
Quick check with NS Journeyplanner confirms your guess that the easiest route between Brussel-Zuid/Midi and Schiphol Airport on that day seems to be Thalys to Rotterdam Centraal and then NS IC towards Lelystad Centrum. Looks like that day you cannot travel on this route without any train changes, but I guess the route with a change is still better than no connection at all.
Old Sep 6, 18, 5:58 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hezu View Post
Quick check with NS Journeyplanner confirms your guess that the easiest route between Brussel-Zuid/Midi and Schiphol Airport on that day seems to be Thalys to Rotterdam Centraal and then NS IC towards Lelystad Centrum. Looks like that day you cannot travel on this route without any train changes, but I guess the route with a change is still better than no connection at all.

Thank you. This is what I will do.

Thalys service on 9/15 between Rotterdam and Amsterdam bypasses Schiphol and is routed through The Hague and Haarlem, because of two separate track closures: the high-speed line from Rotterdam to Schiphol is closed, and the regular track from Amsterdam Centraal to Sloterdijk is also closed.

Getting from Amsterdam Centraal to Schiphol on 9/15 and 9/16 requires first taking an IC train from Centraal to Sloterdijk, and connecting there to a Sprinter train to Schiphol. The connection in Sloterdijk is not trivial as one has to go outside the station to the satellite (chord) platforms 9/10 to catch the train to Schiphol. Moreover, this connection will only be available twice per hour. I don't know if the capacity offered by two Sprinter trains running twice per hour is sufficient to handle the normal flux of travelers between Schiphol and Centraal. There will probably be confusion and delays, so I am better off avoiding Centraal all together on 9/15.

For this reason, I recommend that anyone coming from the south going to Schiphol on 9/15 should change trains at Rotterdam and take the regular Intercity train from Rotterdam to Schiphol. The travel time is 50 minutes on the regular intercity train; however, given the multiple closures that day, this is the best option. I have been on that train many years ago before they opened the high speed line, and it was fine.

Last edited by txp; Sep 6, 18 at 6:06 am

Search this Thread