Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

sbb saver day pass VS Leisure Travel Card ques.

Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

If you have a 1/2 fare card you can purchase a 1-day saver pass in 1st class for as little as 49SFR (but rarely more than 66SFR, if you book a month in advance). They now sell Leisure Travel Cards valid for 20 or 30 days in one year (these require a 1/2 card), the per day rate is: 20 days 76SFR/day, 30 days 68SFR/day, in 1st class--but you pay over 1500SFR "upfront" to buy these. Unless they discontinue the 1-day saver passes, I can't see the advantage of buying a Leisure Travel Card?
They did (I don't see them listed anymore) sell an after 9 o'clock strip of 6 (1st class) day cards for 480SFR (=80SFR/day), but these had a 3 year validity period--also requiring a 1/2 fare card.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:12 am

I think you need to check your assumptions.
The 1st class Leisure Travel Card comes to 76,- or 68,- day depending which one you buy.
To get a 1-day saver pass for less than that you need to book weeks in advance. I currently see 66,- on Aug 25th and 26th, and then again on sep 1st....

Plus with the Leisure Travel Card you can spontaneously decide on the morning to go somewhere...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee
I think you need to check your assumptions.
The 1st class Leisure Travel Card comes to 76,- or 68,- day depending which one you buy.
To get a 1-day saver pass for less than that you need to book weeks in advance. I currently see 66,- on Aug 25th and 26th, and then again on sep 1st....

Plus with the Leisure Travel Card you can spontaneously decide on the morning to go somewhere...
I'm flexible for traveling. I checked on sbb.ch/en and if I were to book a month in advance, on most weekends I can get 1st class saver for 49SFR (in some cases 2nd class is also 49SFR).
As I noted in my post #1 , for the Travel Card you pay upfront over 1500--a minus for me.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by nrr
I'm flexible for traveling. I checked on sbb.ch/en and if I were to book a month in advance, on most weekends I can get 1st class saver for 49SFR (in some cases 2nd class is also 49SFR).
As I noted in my post #1 , for the Travel Card you pay upfront over 1500--a minus for me.
Not having to commit a month or more in advance is a humongous plus. This leisure pass is also great fro people who are thinking of getting a GA, but not entirely sure if it’s going to be worth it.

This value is the flexibility. You wake up one morning, and see that the weather is nice, and decide to spontaneously go on a lake cruise. Or visit the Rigi. Something like that.

Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:14 am

Just a note that the COOP Tageskarte is back, for sale to mid-September and valid until mid-October. 49SFr, you can choose both the traveller and date after purchase, and do NOT require a Halbtax.

https://www.coop.ch/content/sbb-spez...skarte/de.html
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:32 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
Just a note that the COOP Tageskarte is back, for sale to mid-September and valid until mid-October. 49SFr, you can choose both the traveller and date after purchase, and do NOT require a Halbtax.

https://www.coop.ch/content/sbb-spez...skarte/de.html
I believe INTER-DISCOUNT is running a similar offer.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:52 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Do they still sell a 6-strip of after 9 o'clock (1st Class) day cards for 480SFR (valid for 3 years), this seems like (as I noted above), except for the saver day cards, the best deal!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.