Reload this Page >

from AMS to Europe for 10 days

Old Aug 8, 18, 11:27 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Have a little odd situation in that I booked a flight to AMS to arrives on 17 September (Tuesday) and depart on 26 (Wednesday), but have to be in Amsterdam on Saturday 22 September.

Got a really good deal on the fare months ago, but don't recall if I chose those dates because of fare or some other odd reason, as my original plan was to fly to Prague either before or after, explore Amsterdam for a few days and then go somewhere else. At the time flights were super cheap, but between procrastination and being unable to decide where else to go, flight prices have gone up

So, as I was looking at flights on Google Flights, I also get an Amsterdam Airport (Schiphol) Frankfurt(Main)Hbf for 35 Euro in about five hours.

This got me thinking that I'm used to slow rail travel and this was relatively quick, so I could do just rail, but don't really know best place to buy cheap tickets (searching FT didn't help even though I've seen that question a few years ago).

I am looking for suggestions for best place to look for and buy cheap rail tickets and / or for once do Eurorail pass - is that still a thing?

Last year I flew to BUD because of (again great price) and just went to the rail station and bought a ticket to Bratislava - but thought that (about) $40 was rather pricey even as a walkup fare for this short trip. How expensive would a walkup fare in Western Europe be? Is that doable, or will it break the bank?
Old Aug 8, 18, 3:17 pm

My suggestion is to start with the website of the national railway of the country where your trip starts.
Old Aug 8, 18, 3:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
How expensive would a walkup fare in Western Europe be? Is that doable, or will it break the bank?
Depends on the service. On busy, high-speed services, you may not even get a walkup fare as the train is fully booked. From AMS you could catch high-speed trains to Germany, Belgium, France, and the UK.
Old Aug 8, 18, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee View Post
My suggestion is to start with the website of the national railway of the country where your trip starts.
Yes, that is the obvious choice, but Dutch railways from AMS to Frankfurt Hbf is more expensive than German rail, that is why I ask for alternate suggestions.
Old Aug 8, 18, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Www.loco2.com for booking
www.seat61.com for figuring out where you want to go.
Old Aug 9, 18, 1:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I use bahn.de for anything involving Germany / operated by DB

As mentioned, cd.cz would be the place for ex-Prague tickets

I used to use b-europe.com for trains in NL, but I believe that nsinternational.nl recently started becoming friendly towards non-Dutch bank account holders
Old Aug 9, 18, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VitaliU View Post
Www.loco2.com for booking
www.seat61.com for figuring out where you want to go.
Yes, know about Seat61.

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I use bahn.de for anything involving Germany / operated by DB

As mentioned, cd.cz would be the place for ex-Prague tickets

I used to use b-europe.com for trains in NL, but I believe that nsinternational.nl recently started becoming friendly towards non-Dutch bank account holders
VERY familiar with cd.cz

Thanks, and anyone else feel free to add other sites.
Old Aug 10, 18, 10:57 pm

Last year I flew to BUD because of (again great price) and just went to the rail station and bought a ticket to Bratislava - but thought that (about) $40 was rather pricey even as a walkup fare for this short trip.
If that's the case, you were certainly done - the one-way walk-up fare is EUR 9; round trip EUR 17.50.

MAV has some better fares for Budapest - Germany and Budapest - Austria (in either direction) than DB and OeBB respectively, with the disadvantage that you have to collect the ticket in Hungary.
Old Aug 14, 18, 3:03 am

Yes, that is the obvious choice, but Dutch railways from AMS to Frankfurt Hbf is more expensive than German rail, that is why I ask for alternate suggestions.
That should not be the case. If you use ns-international, or b-europe, or bahn, they all use the same booking system in the back...

But sometimes there may be differences because of temporary locks that have exhausted the lowest fare buckets, right when you are looking...

Search this Thread