Reload this Page >

Passport, baggage check in Domodossola

Old Jul 10, 18, 9:56 am
nrr
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

They run an EC service between Geneva and Milan, the train stops in Domodossola. One can also take a scenic trip from Locarno (in Switz.) to Domodossola (Italy) on the Centovalli Line (Swiss owned)--even though nearly all in Italy, Swiss Passes are accepted between Domodossola and Brig (if you only connected).
For the brief stop in D agents (Swiss(?)) were doing PP and cursory luggage checks; the man in the seat in the adjacent aisle had a Chinese PP, they wanted to see how much money he had in his wallet. [He had a piece of luggage, which they did not check, could have contained lots of $ ]
A sightseer traveling between Locarno and Brig (both in Switz.) might not have brought their PPs...how would this have +played out" with the inspectors?
Old Jul 10, 18, 1:06 pm

Anyone without Passport or ID would probably have been taken in for identification.
In Switzerland and Italy (as in most of Europe) it is compulsory to always have identification papers on you. That is why we have a National ID card that is credit card sized and easily fits in any wallet. You’re supposed to have that with you always, whether you’re crossing a border or not...
so persons travelling from Ticino to Valais via Domodossola should not expect to be in trouble...
Old Jul 10, 18, 1:52 pm
nrr
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee View Post
Anyone without Passport or ID would probably have been taken in for identification.
In Switzerland and Italy (as in most of Europe) it is compulsory to always have identification papers on you. That is why we have a National ID card that is credit card sized and easily fits in any wallet. You’re supposed to have that with you always, whether you’re crossing a border or not...
so persons travelling from Ticino to Valais via Domodossola should not expect to be in trouble...
I always carry my pp, but the "average" tourist (from USA, say) might not be aware of the RULES--many probably leave them in their hotel rooms [US pps are relatively bulky!]
Re ID, would they accept a US Drivers license, pp CARD, GE (Global Entry) card?
Old Jul 11, 18, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I always carry my pp, but the "average" tourist (from USA, say) might not be aware of the RULES--many probably leave them in their hotel rooms [US pps are relatively bulky!]
Neither a driver's licence nor a Global Entry (GE) card are considered acceptable forms of international travel documents in Europe. If you have a passport card, then you're good.
Old Jul 12, 18, 1:09 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
This is not about being aware of the RULES but being aware of where the BORDERS are. Anyway I suspect the reaction of Swiss/Italian authorities would not be as extreme as what happened to this French citizen.
Old Jul 12, 18, 4:15 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
This could also have been Swiss customs (Switzerland is not part of the European Customs Union) - hence the checks of luggage and cash.
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Locarno - Domodossola or vv is a pleasant day trip. A US passport card should suffice.

Iirc the first time I made that trip was via a very local train in 1954 - it was more like an international street car.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 26, 18 at 11:23 am Reason: Add
Old Jul 13, 18, 3:47 am
nrr
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Locarno - Domodossola or vv is a pleasant day trip. A US passport card should suffice.

Iirc the first time I made that trip was via a very local train in 1954.
I was using a Saver Day Pass (49SFR) and for my "day trip" did ZRH-LOCARNO (new Gotthard Tunnel)-Domodossola-Brig (Simplon Tunnel)-Zermat-Visp-Zurich ("new" Visp Tunnel)...So I did 3 of their MAJOR tunnels in one day.
The first time I used the Cent. line (shortly before EU began), going from Locarno to Dom. Italian PP agents did a PP check at the Swiss -Italy border; now at the border a vendor boards with a food cart for selling snacks/drinks.
PS: I just tried to do a "dummy" booking on www.sbb.ch/en for Locarno FART to Brig--there is NO warning re boarder crossings.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by nrr; Jul 13, 18 at 3:57 am
Old Jul 13, 18, 10:57 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
I was using a Saver Day Pass (49SFR) and for my "day trip" did ZRH-LOCARNO (new Gotthard Tunnel)-Domodossola-Brig (Simplon Tunnel)-Zermat-Visp-Zurich ("new" Visp Tunnel)...So I did 3 of their MAJOR tunnels in one day.
The first time I used the Cent. line (shortly before EU began), going from Locarno to Dom. Italian PP agents did a PP check at the Swiss -Italy border; now at the border a vendor boards with a food cart for selling snacks/drinks.
PS: I just tried to do a "dummy" booking on www.sbb.ch/en for Locarno FART to Brig--there is NO warning re boarder crossings.
You wouldn't expect a warning re border crossings as it wouldn't make any difference to what a passenger does (other than declaring certain items). As was said above, anyone in Switzerland and Italy should have ID on them at all times anyway, whether they're crossing the border or not.
Old Jul 19, 18, 1:35 am

I just got back from a quick visit to Milan, and had to get my ID card out both ways. Currently there seem to be more systematic controls.
Old Jul 23, 18, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee View Post

Sorry, but that's a common misconception. Swiss citizens are not required to carry any ID or even own any ID. Same applies to many other European countries, Germany being one of the few exceptions where citizens have to own ID (but even in Germany you do not have to carry your ID at all times).

The problem is that foreigners on the other hand are legally required to carry a passport or a EU/EEA/CH ID-card and well, you'll somehow have to proof you are not a foreigner. So it's usually in your best interest to carry some form of ID.
Old Jul 24, 18, 11:28 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Revilo199 View Post
Sorry, but that's a common misconception. Swiss citizens are not required to carry any ID or even own any ID. Same applies to many other European countries, Germany being one of the few exceptions where citizens have to own ID (but even in Germany you do not have to carry your ID at all times).

The problem is that foreigners on the other hand are legally required to carry a passport or a EU/EEA/CH ID-card and well, you'll somehow have to proof you are not a foreigner. So it's usually in your best interest to carry some form of ID.
As a Swiss citizen, you're not required to have either a passport or ID. However, the police can detain you until you can prove you are Swiss. Not a problem in the villages where everyone knows who you are, but it can be in the big cities.
Old Aug 22, 18, 8:25 pm
txp

Programs: Former CO OnePass, UA, AA, DL, Starwood & other hotel chains
Took that train two weeks ago. There were NO systematic controls in Domodossola. A Swiss officer did quickly walk through the train but did not ask questions of anyone in our car.
Old Aug 23, 18, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
There are no longer any systematic immigration (passport) checks between Switzerland and Italy, because both countries are part of the Schengen zone. However, there is still a border and there are customs checks and the border patrol have the right to carry out ID checks. These days, within the Schengen zone, the checks are generally not systematic. However, if you are crossing a border it would be foolish not to have proper ID on you.
Old Aug 27, 18, 12:01 pm
nrr
Original Poster

Technically one cannot ride on a Swiss ticket between Dom. and Brig (mainly Italy). A few years ago riding LOCARNO-DOM-BRIG they did a ticket check between DOM and BRIG, but when I noted I originated in LOCARNO the TA said "OKAY!".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: