Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

No Thalys trains on weekends in September.

Old Jun 11, 18, 9:07 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: Former CO OnePass, UA, AA, DL, Starwood & other hotel chains

Hi everyone,

I tried to book Bruxelles-Amsterdam on 9/15 and 9/16 and no trains show up on either one of the three following websites: Thalys, SNCB, and SCNF. I wrote to customer service at Thalys and was told that they are expecting major track repairs that weekend. They do hope, however, that a limited number of Thalys trains will ultimately be authorized to run, but the decision will be made "later this summer." The same situation also applies during the preceding weekend (9/8 and 9/9). I was encouraged to "keep checking" the website throughout the summer.

This is mostly FYI, but if anyone has different information, I would appreciate if you could let me know.

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 18, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The Reisplanner app shows available trains on 9/15 and 9/16. Maybe the disruptions haven't been fully communicated.
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:40 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
The Reisplanner app shows available trains on 9/15 and 9/16. Maybe the disruptions haven't been fully communicated.
Very interesting, but I don't think it works. I went to the NS website. I can, indeed, see the Thalys trains on 9/15 and 9/16. But when I try to reserve, the only options offered at the Intercity trains. Perhaps the NS software is less sophisticated than that of SNCB or SNCF...
Old Jun 18, 18, 2:58 pm
txp
Original Poster

From the Thalys website

This was posted a few days ago on the Thalys website, FYI:

Dear customers, due to planned engineering works on the High Speed Rail Lines in France, booking tickets for the following dates is not yet possible: 8 & 9 September and 15 & 16 September 2018. The reservation shall be back online as soon as we receive confirmation about the impact on our traffic and the final transport plan is made. The re-opening of the ticket sales for these dates is expected by end of June. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience.
Old Jul 21, 18, 9:08 pm
txp
Original Poster

Anyone interested in travelling on Sept 8/9 or 15/16 must wait till mid-August before they can purchase tickets. See below for the latest announcement from Thalys.com:

"Due to planned engineering works on the High Speed Rail Lines in France, booking tickets for the following dates is not yet possible: 8 & 9 September and 15 & 16 September 2018.
The reservation shall be back online as soon as we receive confirmation about the impact on our traffic and the final transport plan is made.
The re-opening of the ticket sales for these dates is expected by mid-august.

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience.

Message updated on 2018-07-18 at 16:46:40."
Old Jul 22, 18, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by txp View Post
The re-opening of the ticket sales for these dates is expected by end of June….

The re-opening of the ticket sales for these dates is expected by mid-august.

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience.
Given the "end of June" time period was moved back, we'll see how soon the "re-opening" at mid-August is pushed back.
Old Aug 22, 18, 7:27 pm
txp
Original Poster

The tickets are now on sale for Sept 8/9 and Sept 15/16. The routing is modified: Paris to Bruxelles on traditional rail lines (longer travel time) and Bruxelles to Amsterdam also on traditional rail lines without a stop in Schiphol.

Search this Thread