Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

France rail strike- Reliably over June 28th?

Old Jun 9, 18, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &

Everything I've seen shows the strike dates ending on June 28th. It's an odd thing, a strike that hits on scheduled dates and ends on a specific day, without regard to whether the issues causing the strike have been resolved. My plan involve TGV travel on July 20th and 29th, with quite a bit of local travel in-between. Is it really true I have nothing to be concerned about?

Thanks-
Old Jun 9, 18, 6:17 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
It's an odd thing, a strike that hits on scheduled dates and ends on a specific day, without regard to whether the issues causing the strike have been resolved.
Strikes in Europe have a pre-determined length, require advance notice by the striking party and usually have an end date. They can always add more striking days if the issue is not resolved.

My plan involve TGV travel on July 20th and 29th, with quite a bit of local travel in-between. Is it really true I have nothing to be concerned about?
There may be announcement of more strikes. You don't know until you know.
Old Jun 10, 18, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Strikes in Europe have a pre-determined length, require advance notice by the striking party and usually have an end date. They can always add more striking days if the issue is not resolved.
It all seems so faux-civilized. Reminds me of that original Star Trek episode where the planets are at war with each other, only instead of bombing each other, computer simulations calculate casualties and people dutifully march into vaporization chambers if their number's called. The war continues forever because they've figured out a way to make it "clean."

It's interesting reading the French media where there's a daily reporting of the percentage of workers showing up on strike days. Implication being that it's optional whether you show up or not, and there might not be reprisals against those that do. Very different from what we're used to in the US.

It's also interesting that something as massively disruptive as the French rail strike gets so little "coverage" here. Similar issues would be huge.
Old Jun 10, 18, 2:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
It all seems so faux-civilized.

If it were up to unions, then there wouldn't be an advanced notice of strikes. That of course would create chaos. Imagine French ATC not turning up one morning. Sudden airspace closures would create chaos in France and beyond.

The current SNCF strike is however quite interesting. Their strategy of striking 2 out of 5 days means that they'll get 3/5 of their pay, the strike is protracted (stretched over two months rather than ~3 weeks of constant strike), and it's much more annoying for their passengers.

The reason why this doesn't get as much coverage has probably to do with the fact that there's always some kind of strike going on in France.
Old Jun 11, 18, 2:19 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
It's also interesting that something as massively disruptive as the French rail strike gets so little "coverage" here.
France is always on some sort of strike.
Old Jun 12, 18, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I remember dealing with the scheduled strikes by the Lufthansa crews a few years ago.

Search this Thread