Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

SNCF Strike and London-Paris Trains

Old Apr 10, 18, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More

We're planning a London-Paris Eurostar trip in May. Our dates of travel are not on days SNCF has announced their strike. However, I'm a bit nervous about SNCF changing its dates and getting stranded in Paris-- unable to get back to London to catch our flight back to the US. Does anybody have experience with these strikes? Can I depend on the dates the union has posted? Here in the USA, it's downright odd for a union to strike some days and not others, announcing the intention for all the word to see.

I'm nervous enough about getting stranded that I'm considering cancelling Paris and heading to Scotland instead. Am I worried about nothing?
Old Apr 11, 18, 1:47 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
They would be slaughtered in public opinion polls if they hadn't realised a more or less precise plan. A lot of commuters depend on SNCF to get to/from work and they'd be furious if the union just announced that they'll strike randomly during a 2 month period.
Old Apr 11, 18, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Alohashirt View Post
We're planning a London-Paris Eurostar trip in May. Our dates of travel are not on days SNCF has announced their strike. However, I'm a bit nervous about SNCF changing its dates and getting stranded in Paris-- unable to get back to London to catch our flight back to the US. Does anybody have experience with these strikes? Can I depend on the dates the union has posted? Here in the USA, it's downright odd for a union to strike some days and not others, announcing the intention for all the word to see.

I'm nervous enough about getting stranded that I'm considering cancelling Paris and heading to Scotland instead. Am I worried about nothing?
If you are unsure perhaps switch to air travel?
Old Apr 11, 18, 5:09 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
The dates they announced are the dates they may strike. They will not strike on days that they have not announced. On strike days not all train services will be cancelled either. Eurostar is expecting to run 80% of the services on strike days.
Old Apr 11, 18, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
If you are unsure perhaps switch to air travel?
A co-worker was stranded in Paris just last week due to some of Air France going on a "sympathy strike." Air travel from London to Paris also seems like much more of a hassle than the train.

I'm also curious: Since you are in Glasgow, are you suggesting that a trip to Scotland wouldn't be as worthwhile as a trip to Paris for two Americans who have never been to either?
Old Apr 16, 18, 12:28 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
A co-worker was stranded in Paris just last week due to some of Air France going on a "sympathy strike." Air travel from London to Paris also seems like much more of a hassle than the train.
You should be fine* if you have tickets on an other airline.

*unless ATC starts striking too
Old Apr 27, 18, 5:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Miles&More, Best Western Rewards
WHowever, I'm a bit nervous about SNCF changing its dates and getting stranded in Paris-- unable to get back to London to catch our flight back to the US. Does anybody have experience with these strikes?
Regarding Eurostar, if you train was cancelled they would send you a mail (provided you have booked directly with them) 5 to 7 days before the travel (depending of class and status), offering a free self-service rebooking on any available train the same day. You may also check their website.
Anyway their cancellation rate is low (15-20%) as they also have English and Belgian crews able to run the trains.
So basically if you're flexible by 1 or 2 hours, travel is practically guaranteed.

Search this Thread