Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxembourg to Mannheim - best options?

Old Mar 8, 18, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Hi folks, have to get from Luxembourg City to Mannheim DE in a few weeks and wondering what the best way to get there might be. One stop options seem to include:
  • Regional Express from Luxembourg - Trier - Mannheim
  • Fernbus from Luxembourg to Saarbrucken; ICE from Saarbucken to Mannheim
Fernbus-ICE is a little faster (about 3:02) compared to taking RE all the way (3:40), but price is similar. Any experiences with either? Any amenities I should be thinking of (wifi, beverage purchase, luggage, etc.)?
Probably looking at just a 2nd class saver fare. Things I'm primarily looking for are a comfortable ride and, hopefully, some decent sightseeing out the windows. Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 18, 7:49 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Flixbus seems to offer a direct bus to Mannheim.
Old Mar 8, 18, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Ah, wasn't even aware of that option. At 3:35 direct and only 13 EUR, that's a good alternative. I guess the only risk is getting on a bus without power outlets, but otherwise seems pretty good.

Can you provide any comparison between the Flixbus and RE?
Old Mar 8, 18, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
Can you provide any comparison between the Flixbus and RE?
I've never taken a Flixbus. Just noticed them due to their aggressive expansion to all of Europe.
Old Mar 8, 18, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Ok, after reading many online reviews, I am scared off of Flixbus, as budget really isn't a concern. I'd definitely do it if I were still in college or recent university grad, but I can afford the difference for the relative security of the train (even with a stop).
I'm going to go with the Regional Express, with a stop in Trier.
Old Mar 8, 18, 2:47 pm

Ok, after reading many online reviews, I am scared off of Flixbus, as budget really isn't a concern.[Snip]
The only reason why I brought it up is because they do offer a non-stop option. Rail is indeed more comfortable than Greyhounds (or their European equivalent)
Old Mar 8, 18, 4:08 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
There seems to be another option ...
If you check bahn.de they offer a bus / train connection that runs every two hours with total travel time between 3:01 and 3:09.
It involves a direct-bus from Luxembourg to Saarbrücken and connecting there to various ICE/TGV/RE for Mannheim. Discount-fares start at about 19,90€ if ICE/TGV are involved.
If RE from Saarbrücken to Mannheim is involved they don´t offer a discounted ticket at bahn.de because no higher class train is involved in the trip (but it´s still possible to buy a different and cheap ticket if you know the range of offerings ... e.g.: Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket)
Btw.: If you buy the Express-bus ticket separately it costs 8,-€ ow and if you add the Rheinland-Pfalz-Ticket at 24,-€ its still cheaper in total than the full-fare ticket that bahn. de sells for the itinerary without ICE/TGV ...
The Express-Bus between Luxembourg and Saarbrücken is not related to Flixbus.

Just an additional note: Although Mannheim is in the state of Baden-Württemberg (so outside Rheinland-Pfalz) Mannheim Hbf is covered by that ticket which is an official concession (I can provide a link to official details if needed - albeit availlable in German only)

Last edited by MHG; Mar 8, 18 at 4:28 pm
Old Mar 9, 18, 12:09 am

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Ah, wasn't even aware of that option. At 3:35 direct and only 13 EUR, that's a good alternative. I guess the only risk is getting on a bus without power outlets
Many if not most of their buses have power sockets. They claim those which don't will be retrofitted shortly.

Ok, after reading many online reviews, I am scared off of Flixbus, as budget really isn't a concern. I'd definitely do it if I were still in college or recent university grad, but I can afford the difference for the relative security of the train (even with a stop).
Your concerns regarding personal safety are unfounded. Flixbus is just a safe as a train. May be even safer than a regional train.

Most regional trains in Germany won't have power outlets.

Last edited by 1flyer; Mar 9, 18 at 12:14 am
Old Mar 9, 18, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1flyer View Post
Many if not most of their buses have power sockets. They claim those which don't will be retrofitted shortly.

Your concerns regarding personal safety are unfounded. Flixbus is just a safe as a train. May be even safer than a regional train.

Most regional trains in Germany won't have power outlets.
Apologize for the lack of clarity. I was not suggesting that it was for my personal safety, but for the relative security of having a more predictable schedule with respect to on-time travel.
Given the fact that I have additional power packs and such, I don't think that a 3.5 hour trip should be a risk.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Mar 9, 18 at 11:04 am
Old Mar 9, 18, 10:13 am

Programs: M&S, Radisson
gobluetwo,

It's probably not your lack of clarity, but my imperfect command of English (non-native speaker).

Search this Thread