sbb saver day pas

Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The "normal" day cards (only valid with the 1/2 fare card) DO cover (most) local transportation systems.
Based on the wording for the "saver day passes" (valid on GA routes), I assume these also are valid for local transport.
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes I’m pretty sure they do. Just ask at the counter in the station. By the way, I’m finding it really difficult to get these for less than CHF49, even way in advance.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
Yes Im pretty sure they do. Just ask at the counter in the station. By the way, Im finding it really difficult to get these for less than CHF49, even way in advance.
Im seeing CHF49 with the half pass, but since I dont have specific times, if it covers the public transit its still cheaper to buy the day pass.

And btw, Ill see you next weekend at the dinner!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Can I combine a SBB Saver Day Pass with a standard ticket for cross-border travel (AT->CH)? Most of my travel will be within the GA area, but I'd also like to take the RJ from Feldkirch, Austria to Zurich HB. Since rail service to/from Feldkirch is not within the GA area, can I just buy a ~10CHF ticket for Feldkirch -> Buchs SG and then have my Saver Day Pass kick in for the rest of the ride to Zurich? I don't plan to get off the train (transfer) at Buchs.

I realize the bus from Feldkirch to Liechtenstein is included in the GA area, but the RJ train is a lot quicker and more convenient than taking the bus from Feldkirch to Sargans/Buchs (and a train from there).
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've noticed several dates in July 2018 where (with 1/2 fare card) the price for 1st class and for 2nd class is 49 SFr, why would anyone buy 2nd class if the 1st class price is the same?
They also have extended the advance purchase period from 30 days to 60 days.^
If you register your half fare card (linked to a SwissPass), when you purchase a saver daycard you only have to show the ticket inspector your daycard--it shows your 1/2 status, assuming you are logged into your acct. at the time of purchase.

Last edited by nrr; Jun 13, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nrr
I've noticed several dates in July 2018 where (with 1/2 fare card) the price for 1st class and for 2nd class is 49 SFr, why would anyone buy 2nd class if the 1st class price is the same?
They also have extended the advance purchase period from 30 days to 60 days.^
If you register your half fare card (linked to a SwissPass), when you purchase a saver daycard you only have to show the ticket inspector your daycard--it shows your 1/2 status, assuming you are logged into your acct. at the time of purchase.
Wow - sounds like a lot of changes. I just got back from a week in Switzerland the Saver Day Pass was fantastic.
Do you think it's because the 2nd class SDPs have been selling quickly? I was told the price fluctuates based on availability and that the price adjusts as fewer remain.
60 day window is great!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:21 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Even 2 months in advance the saver 1-day 1st class with 1/2 fare card is 66 SFR/day on nearly ALL weekdays; on weekends several dates are 49 SFR.
Previously (before the savers) they sold two types of day cards (valid ONLY with a 1/2 fare card): (1)valid only after 9 o'clock on weekdays, (2)valid anytime any day (much more expensive than (1)), these could also be purchased as a strip of 6 but you pay for 5. I can't find this on www.sbb.ch/en anymore. The 6 strips were valid for 3 years. My guess is few people bought (2).
They now have 20 day and 30 day "leisure" cards.
With too many options things get too complicated.
[Slightly related, when I first went to Europe in 1964 there were only 1 month, 2 month or 3 month Eurrail passes; now there are 50+ versions of railpasses: flex, all day, numerous country combos...too complicated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.