sbb saver day pas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:49 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
using credit card to purchase saver pass problem

I was trying to purchase a saver 1st class day card for Nov. 25 @49sFR.
Initially I tried using a MasterCard Credit Card, I got the message "authorization was rejected". I called my CC help number, the charge NEVER reached them; I tried a VISA CC, same error. BUT, my AMEX card worked.^
SBB uses DATATRANS LTD. as their processing agent, there must be some issue with MasterCard and VISA CCs.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
The problem is with US-issued Visa and Mastercard, as these generally don't have sufficient security. SBB requires a second level of security for on-line sales, such as Verified by Visa or Mastercard Secure Code. Unfortunately very few US card issuers offer such cards.
You'll have no problem using US-based cards if you're present for the sale with the card, but may have difficulty with on-line purchases.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yesterday, I found about this issue on the SBB "community" forum.
Apparently American Express cards issued by AMEX DO have the proper security. [American Express Cards issued through a US Bank DO NOT work either.]
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:15 am

A warning that the Spartageskarte are only valid with an ID. Perhaps that will be obvious to some to avoid resell, but it wasn't to me as the usual Tageskarte only require a stamp on the day of travel and the Halbtax card. My friend narrowly avoided being fined last weekend...

On a positive note, as they also give 50% off mountain railways, total saving for a day trip in a group of 3 to Zermatt last weekend, only booked the day before, was about 500Fr (I took one person on the Duotagestkarte for a surcharge of 20Fr compared to the single, 106Fr Spartageskarte vs. 250Fr for a normal ticket, and a 50Fr saving each on the journey up to the Glacier Paradise)!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:11 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
A warning that the Spartageskarte are only valid with an ID. Perhaps that will be obvious to some to avoid resell, but it wasn't to me as the usual Tageskarte only require a stamp on the day of travel and the Halbtax card. My friend narrowly avoided being fined last weekend...

On a positive note, as they also give 50% off mountain railways, total saving for a day trip in a group of 3 to Zermatt last weekend, only booked the day before, was about 500Fr (I took one person on the Duotagestkarte for a surcharge of 20Fr compared to the single, 106Fr Spartageskarte vs. 250Fr for a normal ticket, and a 50Fr saving each on the journey up to the Glacier Paradise)!
If you have a 1/2 fare card on your SwissPass (Card), which has your picture and Date of Birth listed, shouldn't that be an acceptable form of ID?
PS: I (also) always have my US Passport when I ride trains in Switz.

Zermatt is "included" under GA area, so is free with a day card. [Over the past several years, many mountain routes are now free, two of my favorites are Rocher-de-Naye and Rigi.]
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by nrr
If you have a 1/2 fare card on your SwissPass (Card), which has your picture and Date of Birth listed, shouldn't that be an acceptable form of ID?
PS: I (also) always have my US Passport when I ride trains in Switz.

Zermatt is "included" under GA area, so is free with a day card. [Over the past several years, many mountain routes are now free, two of my favorites are Rocher-de-Naye and Rigi.]
Friend doesn't have a Halbtax, and didn't have passport. Halbtax is of course sufficient.

Unfortunately, Zermatt is most definitely not included in the GA area (otherwise I could ski for free rather than 90Fr a day ). There is a 50% discount for GA (and therefore day tickets).
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
Friend doesn't have a Halbtax, and didn't have passport. Halbtax is of course sufficient.

Unfortunately, Zermatt is most definitely not included in the GA area (otherwise I could ski for free rather than 90Fr a day ). There is a 50% discount for GA (and therefore day tickets).
I've gone to Zermatt (from Visp) many times using a (1st class) day card; I just checked the GA map, the route to Zermatt is a solid line.

Also at https://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/tra...ing/discounts/ the entire Glacier Express route is noted as being FREE for GA (though one would have to pay a 5SFR reservation supplement).

Last edited by nrr; Nov 7, 2017 at 8:18 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by nrr
I've gone to Zermatt (from Visp) many times using a (1st class) day card; I just checked the GA map, the route to Zermatt is a solid line.

Also at https://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/tra...ing/discounts/ the entire Glacier Express route is noted as being FREE for GA (though one would have to pay a 5SFR reservation supplement).
We're talking at cross purposes. I referred to the mountain railways from Zermatt to Gornergrat and the Glacier Paradise. Of course the train line to Zermatt is included; it is populated. Cable cars and sightseeing railways are deemed "leisure" and often privately run, so are rarely included in the GA, though 50% discounts often apply.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:42 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Follow-up using "sbb saver day pass":
The 49 SFR (1st class)/29 SFR (2nd class) is a super deal, but the 1 month advance purchase (coupled with bad weather on the day you travel) could be a (minor(?)) issue (If you have a specific destination you are traveling to this could be an issue). If you just want to see spectacular scenery you are free to choose areas with nice weather on the day you travel. [The alps have a blocking effect for some "bad" weather systems.]
PS: Traveling to Switz. for many years I've found that advance weather predicting is often inaccurate Example: On a previous trip, the predictions for Zurich (over the 5 day period I visited): "rain each day"--yes it did rain each day, but at around 2 AM for daylight hours it was nice and sunny.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by nrr
PS: Traveling to Switz. for many years I've found that advance weather predicting is often inaccurate Example: On a previous trip, the predictions for Zurich (over the 5 day period I visited): "rain each day"--yes it did rain each day, but at around 2 AM for daylight hours it was nice and sunny.

The weather forecasting is actually very accurate. Just make sure to download and install the MeteoSwiss app that will tell you exactly when the weather is going to do what, and you'll be good.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by greg5
The weather forecasting is actually very accurate. Just make sure to download and install the MeteoSwiss app that will tell you exactly when the weather is going to do what, and you'll be good.
It's fairly accurate for the next couple of hours. But that is all. And even then. Any forecast beyond two days is just a wild guess.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
Follow-up using "sbb saver day pass":
The 49 SFR (1st class)/29 SFR (2nd class) is a super deal, but the 1 month advance purchase (coupled with bad weather on the day you travel) could be a (minor(?)) issue (If you have a specific destination you are traveling to this could be an issue).
Where this pass is extremely usefull is for tourists arriving in Switzerland. Since you usually book your flight weeks in advance buying the pass for your arrival day is easy.
For the flight back you can book a normal supersaver ticket.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:22 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee
Where this pass is extremely usefull is for tourists arriving in Switzerland. Since you usually book your flight weeks in advance buying the pass for your arrival day is easy.
For the flight back you can book a normal supersaver ticket.
These "day passes" require a 1/2 fare card. I'm not sure the price of the pass + 1/2 fare card would be cost effective for a single trip.
I consider myself a "rail nut" [I like to ride trains] and see magnificent scenery. A "typical" trip for me might be: ZRH-Bellinzona-Locarno-Brig (via Centravalli line)-Visp-ZRH (passing through the NEW Gotthard Tunnel, Simplon Tunnel and New Visp Route Tunnel!...I think I am getting good value for 49 SFR.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
These "day passes" require a 1/2 fare card. I'm not sure the price of the pass + 1/2 fare card would be cost effective for a single trip.
I consider myself a "rail nut" [I like to ride trains] and see magnificent scenery. A "typical" trip for me might be: ZRH-Bellinzona-Locarno-Brig (via Centravalli line)-Visp-ZRH (passing through the NEW Gotthard Tunnel, Simplon Tunnel and New Visp Route Tunnel!...I think I am getting good value for 49 SFR.
The saver day pass does not require a 1/2 card. It is cheaper with a 1/2 card though.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Does the day pass cover any local transport? In ZRH? Lucerne? Thinking about buying a day pass because I’m traveling ZRH-Lucerne, then to Lugano. Normally I buy super saver tickets, but I’m not entirely certain of timings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.