FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   European Rail Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel-654/)
-   -   Train line app and fares in Switzerland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel/1867411-train-line-app-fares-switzerland.html)

Steve Weagant Sep 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Train line app and fares in Switzerland

I was doing test bookings on the train line app and discovered that it was quoting Mr fares of 207 dollars for two people from zurich to brig in November. This seems a bit high when the same app quoted fares of 87 per person from zurich to Paris. Is there a way of booking cheaper fares in Switzerland?

Thank you.

Palal Sep 18, 2017 3:49 am

What does the SBB site show? I'm seeing 31.2-44.5 CHF/person

Steve Weagant Sep 18, 2017 7:24 am

About 100 swiss francs per person.

In my op I quoted usd. I also pulled up similar fares on sbb app. This might be a time to get a two country pass for France and Switzerland. I have a round trip planned from zurich to Paris. Plus a day trip I'm France and two day trips in Switzerland involving multiple trains each day.

nrr Sep 18, 2017 11:35 am

Within Switzerland fares are totally under SBB control; mixing countries "special" fares from SNCF (France) may also play a role.
Some of the SBB pricing "assumes" a half-fare card is being used.
They have "super saver" fares on some routes, but when you buy one of them you must travel at a particular time and date (they sell insurance should you need to revise your itn.)

Added note: For Oct. 4 ("random date"), they had a SS fare as low as 45(SFr) (without using a half-fare card). November is not yet on sale, most likely the SS fare table would be similar in Nov. [The official fare is 99SFr\

KayVeeBee Oct 1, 2017 9:30 am

The "Trainline" app uses the DB system to look up prices (and issue tickets) for SBB. So the quotes you get use the SBB international tariff.
For trips within Switzerland it is better to use the SBB app. If you book between 1 hour and 1 month in advance you can even get Supersaver tickets that way. If you plan on travelling a lot in Switzerland get the Half Fare Card.
A two country pass France/Switzerland would not be a good buy. You would still need to get reservations for the Paris - Basel (or wherever you are headed) TGV, and these you can only get at the station in Paris... just book the TGV on line, and buy regional French tickets at the station.

A better option for Switzerland than an eurail pass is the saver day pass. This is a new product, and you can get it here:
https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...-day-pass.html

css8100 Oct 1, 2017 12:58 pm

If you know your exact travel date, definitely go to the SBB site (also available in English) and buy a Supersaver ticket. I had a look of your Zurich-Brig trip and you can find Supersaver tickets for ~USD50 pp. These tickets are non-refundable and are delivered as a PDF printable at home. Supersaver tickets for your November trip will be available one month before the travel date. Price increase with the number of tickets already sold for a given train, so it is recommended to buy as soon as your travel date is confirmed.

MarLim Oct 1, 2017 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by css8100 (Post 28881166)
These tickets are non-refundable and are delivered as a PDF printable at home.

Not necessary to print. Just show the QR code on your phone.

nrr Oct 2, 2017 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee (Post 28880518)
The "Trainline" app uses the DB system to look up prices (and issue tickets) for SBB. So the quotes you get use the SBB international tariff.
For trips within Switzerland it is better to use the SBB app. If you book between 1 hour and 1 month in advance you can even get Supersaver tickets that way. If you plan on travelling a lot in Switzerland get the Half Fare Card.
A two country pass France/Switzerland would not be a good buy. You would still need to get reservations for the Paris - Basel (or wherever you are headed) TGV, and these you can only get at the station in Paris... just book the TGV on line, and buy regional French tickets at the station.

A better option for Switzerland than an eurail pass is the saver day pass. This is a new product, and you can get it here:
https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...-day-pass.html

The referenced "saver day pass" has interesting pricing, especially if you are traveling in 1st class and on a weekend--as low as 49Sfr (using a 1/2 fare card). The only minus is that you must pick a date far in advance and if the main reason for travel is to see spectacular scenery, you would "lose" if there is bad weather on the day you choose.
[A "regular" weekend 1st class day card is 127SFr and requires a 1/2 fare card.]

KayVeeBee Oct 5, 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 28886626)
The referenced "saver day pass" has interesting pricing, especially if you are traveling in 1st class and on a weekend--as low as 49Sfr (using a 1/2 fare card). The only minus is that you must pick a date far in advance and if the main reason for travel is to see spectacular scenery, you would "lose" if there is bad weather on the day you choose.
[A "regular" weekend 1st class day card is 127SFr and requires a 1/2 fare card.]

The day saver pass is very useful for people arriving in Switzerland.

I usually buy saver tickets to Zurich airport, as my flight basically fixes the train I'll take. That saves me quite a bit of money.
But I could not do this in the reverse. However this saver day pass is very useful when arriving, and heading eg. for Zermatt.