Bought 1st class ticket ob OBB RJ, can travel in 2nd class

Old Sep 12, 17, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver

Bear with me for a moment.
Mrs pbiflyer is headed to Prague and Vienna. She is meeting a friend in Prague and they are traveling to Vienna together on a Austrian Railjet train.
Her friend said it was just 10 euro more to travel first class. So I went ahead and booked it for her, along with a seat reservation. Figured some extra room for 10 euros, what the heck.
Her friend went to book it and it showed no longer available. I am going to assume that I got the last deal.
They of course would like to travel together. Since it appears her friend cannot get a 1st class ticket, will there be any issues with her joining her friend in 2nd class?
Old Sep 12, 17, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL GM/KM
Obviously she would not be able to use the seat reservation, but if her 2nd class friend also foregoes a reservation and they can find a pair of unreserved seats in 2nd (a big if on some dates/times/routes), it would not be a problem to occupy them. The conductor will think it strange, but a voluntary downgrade is acceptable.

Next time you will book for both of them, right? Booking separately almost guarantees that the seats will not be together.
Old Sep 14, 17, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by SkyBuck View Post
Obviously she would not be able to use the seat reservation, but if her 2nd class friend also foregoes a reservation and they can find a pair of unreserved seats in 2nd (a big if on some dates/times/routes), it would not be a problem to occupy them. The conductor will think it strange, but a voluntary downgrade is acceptable.

Next time you will book for both of them, right? Booking separately almost guarantees that the seats will not be together.
I should have realized something was amiss when I booked. I tried to book both, but the price was significantly higher. I thought, "Surely, it couldn't be that there is only 1 seat left at the cheap price." I was wrong!

Search this Thread