Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Connecting Brussels Gare du Midi to Brussels Luxembourg

Old Aug 7, 17, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Next Friday evening I have a 32 minute connection between a Eurostar arriving into Brussels Gare du Midi and a SNCB train leaving Gare du Luxembourg.

I'm desperate to make this connection, as missing it means another hour's wait, and we won't arrive at our destination until 23:15.

We currently have a seat on the Eurostar 2 cars from the front, and are planning to get a taxi from the rank at Place Victor Horta.

Google Maps shows this as a 10 minute drive, so should be tight but do-able.

Any other advice on making this connection? Is there another taxi rank at Gare du Midi that we should aim for?

Last edited by markle; Aug 7, 17 at 11:03 am
Old Aug 7, 17, 11:24 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
It is tight but is doable depending on how fast you can get out of Brussels-South station. Make sure to reserve a taxi through Taxi Verts +3223494949 or another company.

Maybe, since you are in the train station anyway, another option could be to take a train to Brussels-Luxembourg station. Can't check for you because I don't know what time and date you arrive.

I assume you arrive in Brussels outside of rush hour traffic so it should be doable but very tight indeed.
Old Aug 7, 17, 11:32 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by Zolex View Post
It is tight but is doable depending on how fast you can get out of Brussels-South station. Make sure to reserve a taxi through Taxi Verts +3223494949 or another company.

Maybe, since you are in the train station anyway, another option could be to take a train to Brussels-Luxembourg station. Can't check for you because I don't know what time and date you arrive.

I assume you arrive in Brussels outside of rush hour traffic so it should be doable but very tight indeed.
The trains run every 10 minutes during the day, and every 20 minutes late in the evening. It's listed as taking 20 minutes. By the time he navigates the station to find the track... this ends badly.

Brussels-Midi is a very large station; depending upon where the Eurostar parks, it could take him 5-10 minutes just to get to the street. I have no familiarity with the Luxemborg station, but for someone not knowing the specifics of where they're going, this seems to have a lot of potential for going south.

Looking at Googlemaps, two routes are shown, one at 12 minutes, the other 16.

Regarding reserving a Taxi, that could potentially add time as you're looking to find it.
Old Aug 8, 17, 2:30 am

Most trains that pass through Brussels Luxembourg station start at Brussels Midi/Zuid. Did you check if you cannot simply get on that train there?

If you have the train number (or destination and departure time), www.belgianrail.be should give you that information.
Old Aug 8, 17, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks both. We have seats by the door in the second-from-front carriage. There's access from the front of the Eurostar platform to the taxi rank on Place Victor Horta, so I'm hoping to be from train to taxi rank in ~5 min, and be reasonably close to the front of any line.

We're arriving around 8pm; the train to Gare du Luxembourg is only every 20 mins then, so the timing doesn't work.

As for Gare du Luxembourg itself, it has only 5-6 tracks, so hopefully not too complex.

I guess we've probably done as much as we can to try and make it work - biggest variable is probably on-time arrival of the Eurostar, which from past experience is by no means guaranteed.
Old Aug 8, 17, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Most trains that pass through Brussels Luxembourg station start at Brussels Midi/Zuid. Did you check if you cannot simply get on that train there?

If you have the train number (or destination and departure time), www.belgianrail.be should give you that information.
Thanks, unfortunately the train starts at Brussels Airport and routes via Brussels Schuman / Brussels Luxembourg - doesn't touch Midi.

Search this Thread