Wiki Posts
Search

Zagreb to Vienna Train - Early Sept

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Zagreb to Vienna Train - Early Sept

We are looking to take the train from Zagreb to Vienna to catch an onward flight from Vienna. I have read it is a very scenic ride... If we are going in September, say the 1st or 2d.. will it still be very crowded from August vacationers? Any recent riders, thoughts, or suggestions welcome
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:03 am

I've never travelled on that line, but in general I would say that if you can get seat reservations (which I imagine you can for this service) then there's no need to worry about overcrowding as you'll have a seat.

The main issue with overcrowding is if you don't have reservations - then trains can be very unpleasant. Usually more an issue on commuter trains.

However others here may have better knowledge of the Zagreb route.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:56 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by worldiswide
We are looking to take the train from Zagreb to Vienna to catch an onward flight from Vienna. I have read it is a very scenic ride... If we are going in September, say the 1st or 2d..
I take it you will give yourself a day or two in Vienna. Don't recall from which city in former Yugoslavia it was, but arrival in BUD was delayed by about five hours, which meant that I arrived in BTS .... actually SIX hours late. Somehow instead of making up time, they arrived even later

I found perfect timing on a train with sleeper car to catch my flight back, but was warned that I do not want to take a chance on my PRG-BUD trip. Would have had an extra day in Prague ....

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I've never travelled on that line, but in general I would say that if you can get seat reservations (which I imagine you can for this service) then there's no need to worry about overcrowding as you'll have a seat.

The main issue with overcrowding is if you don't have reservations - then trains can be very unpleasant.
Yes, this is VERY good advice. I don't normally spring for the extra charge of seat assignment (sorry only know the correct term in Czech, not English), but if you are concerned then this would be a very good idea @:-)

So isles may be crowded, but those sitting , especially if the seats are in a compartment, will be totally unaffected.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good advice...including building buffer time in.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:20 am
Suspended

Even with a reserved seat - still it's quite unpleasent to sit in an overcrowded train!!!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Bumping this thread for another question. We are traveling on Aug 31. I have been corresponding with our hotel in Zagreb who are buying the tickets for us. They tried to buy them last month and were told that tickets were not available it. How far in advance can you buy the tickets? We are staying at a reputable hotel, so I am not concerned and thought it would be easier for them to negotiate the transaction for us, and they seemed willing to do so, but Im wondering when the tickets can be purchased.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:42 am

Usually around 90 days ahead, can be a bit more or a bit less dependent on countries involved and I'm not familiar with Austria/Croatia personally, but I'd have thought you'd be OK now
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Bumping this thread for another question. We are traveling on Aug 31. I have been corresponding with our hotel in Zagreb who are buying the tickets for us. They tried to buy them last month and were told that tickets were not available it. How far in advance can you buy the tickets? We are staying at a reputable hotel, so I am not concerned and thought it would be easier for them to negotiate the transaction for us, and they seemed willing to do so, but Im wondering when the tickets can be purchased.
There is no need to get the hotel to 'negotiate the transaction'. You can buy the tickets easily online yourself at the Austrian railways website. Tickets are available now for the 31 August direct train at €29 + €3 seat reservation fee. Or only €10 more for first class (see screenshot below):
https://tickets.oebb.at/en/ticket

See the excellent seat61website for more guidance should you need: https://www.seat61.com/international...#Zagreb-Vienna
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jun 26, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information and the screen shots... perfect!!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again.. was able to purchase easily online.. with reserved seats and all. Help here was most appreciated.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:37 am

Good to hear. Do please post back here with your experiences of the trip if you can - I'd be interested to hear what you make of it. It sounds like a very scenic ride.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Will do.. the trip is Aug 31...ill be back in September
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Good to hear. Do please post back here with your experiences of the trip if you can - I'd be interested to hear what you make of it. It sounds like a very scenic ride.

Posting back.. lovely ride last week through Slovenia and then Austrian alps..very comfortable seats ..short delay mid way through but conductor made up time and arrived in Vienna about 10 minutes late.
StartinSanDiego and Ldnn1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.