Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Italian Train Stations should I use?

Italian Train Stations should I use?

Old Feb 10, 17, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Question Italian Train Stations should I use?

We will be taking a train from Venice to Florence Italy.

In Florence we will be staying close to the Ponte Vecchio.

I want to make sure I chose the correct stations for our trip.

From Venice I think we would leave from the St. Lucia station and our destination station in Florence would be S.M. Novella.

Can anyone confirm these to be the right choices?

Also, a bit of a quirk, on the Italrail website they have two entries: one for Firenze S.M. Novella and the other option is Firenze Santa Maria Novella (spelled out)...would these be the same station or are there TWO Firenze Santa Maria Novella stations???

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Walt
Old Feb 10, 17, 7:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
That's correct - Venezia Santa Lucia (or Sta Lucia or SL) and Firenze Santa Maria Novella (or SM Novella or just SMN) are the correct, central stations.

The alternatives you normally see are Venezia Mestre (which is on the mainland) and Firenze Campo di Marte (which is south of the city, and used by some through trains that don't serve SMN). These are less optimal (though hardly disastrous).
Old Feb 10, 17, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Thank you...

Thank you again...I appreciate your help!

Walt
Old Feb 10, 17, 7:39 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by ddschur View Post
Also, a bit of a quirk, on the Italrail website they have two entries...
Italrail?

I admit this site isn't as easy as, say, DB, but the italian rail website is trenitalia.com.
Old Feb 10, 17, 8:03 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It is, but private company Italo (I don't know if it's that site or Italiarail that the OP is referring to) also run trains on this route - arguably better quality and price, although with reduced frequency.
Old Feb 14, 17, 7:09 pm

For everything you need to know about European train travel, check out this robust web site, The Man is Seat Sixty-One : http://www.seat61.com/
Old Sep 12, 17, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
recent comparison - Trentalia vs. Italo

Originally Posted by stut View Post
It is, but private company Italo (I don't know if it's that site or Italiarail that the OP is referring to) also run trains on this route - arguably better quality and price, although with reduced frequency.
IME, this advice is incorrect.
First, Italo and Trentalia prices are similar, if not identical. Best to check on line a few days before travel for the best prices.
We took Italo from Milan Central to Torino and again from Torino to Firenze. 2nd class cabins were very crowded, and our seating area was littered with garbage. From Turin to Milan, the train went backwards. Not advisable for anyone who gets motion sickness.
We then took Trentalia from Firenze to Roma Centrale and again from Roma Centrale to Venezia Mestre. Seats were larger, less crowded and the cabin was spotless. But the main reason I recommend Trentalia. Italo does not have an on line customer service contact when issues arise (as they will).
Old Sep 13, 17, 10:12 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Your advice is incorrect.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
IME, this advice is incorrect.
First, Italo and Trentalia prices are similar, if not identical. Best to check on line a few days before travel for the best prices.
Cheapest prices can be had weeks to months out, not days out.

We took Italo from Milan Central to Torino and again from Torino to Firenze. 2nd class cabins were very crowded, and our seating area was littered with garbage. From Turin to Milan, the train went backwards. Not advisable for anyone who gets motion sickness.
The train did not go backwards, you were sitting opposite of the direction of travel. As Milano Centrale is a terminal station, through trains come in, switch directions and leave (both times going forward). It's the same both for Trenitalia and Italo and any other train operator going through a terminal station.

We then took Trentalia from Firenze to Roma Centrale and again from Roma Centrale to Venezia Mestre. Seats were larger, less crowded and the cabin was spotless. But the main reason I recommend Trentalia. Italo does not have an on line customer service contact when issues arise (as they will).
You probably booked a higher-fare cabin. The cheapest frecciarossa seats are extremely cramped and uncomfortable.

Don't compare apples to oranges, even though both are high speed fruit :P
Old Sep 14, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
I have the same experiences with both companies as Palal above. Both are OK, but in general I would prefer Italo.

To add: it's much more customer-friendly to book tickets on Italo compared to Trenitalia's shaky website. And Italo employees all speak English - which I can't say about Trenitalia!

The nice thing is that if booked a few months/weeks out, you can have great deals in 1st class which are cheaper than a full-fare 2nd class ticket.
Old Sep 14, 17, 12:47 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Are we really comparing many different products? Even within Trenitalia, there's significant variation. A regional train is a substantially different experience from the Freccia high speed rail. And Frecciarossa is even different from Frecciargento/bianco.

Search this Thread