Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxembourg to Trier train fares.

Old Jan 9, 17, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad

I would like to go to Trier from Luxembourg by train,but having looked at the fares,it seems very expensive,it is only 40km to Trier,but the fare ONE way is 18 euros!!!,we are always being told that the UK has the highest rail fares in Europe,but this is terrible,so thats 36 Euros return,I can go from Slough to Spalding for 22:00 RETURN,(120 miles each way)have I been looking on the wrong websites,or is this the correct fare???I am 67 but there is no provision for booking and OAP fare either......travelling on 21st January.
Old Jan 9, 17, 6:16 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
That's the walk-up fare (bear in mind the walk-up peak fare from Slough to Spalding is 72!) You can buy an advance purchase fare for €4.80 each way from https://travel.b-europe.com/cfl/voyager/reserver (the Luxembourg Railways booking site - they use the SNCB one). It can't be refunded once bought, but it is valid for any train on the day.

There is also a rover ticket that covers Luxembourg and the adjacent German Laender:

http://www.cfl.lu/espaces/voyageurs/...ticket-plus-lu

Last edited by stut; Jan 9, 17 at 6:22 am
Old Jan 9, 17, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut View Post
That's the walk-up fare (bear in mind the walk-up peak fare from Slough to Spalding is 72!) You can buy an advance purchase fare for 4.80 each way from https://travel.b-europe.com/cfl/voyager/reserver (the Luxembourg Railways booking site - they use the SNCB one). It can't be refunded once bought, but it is valid for any train on the day.

There is also a rover ticket that covers Luxembourg and the adjacent German Laender:

http://www.cfl.lu/espaces/voyageurs/...ticket-plus-lu
Thanks very much,I did try loads of websites,but NONE came up with those cheaper fares!!!Cheers!!!
Old Jan 9, 17, 12:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Check for bus routes. That train is horribly slow.
Old Jan 10, 17, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Check for bus routes. That train is horribly slow.
I have,it appears the buses only run early in the morning from LUX,I arrive about 11am in LUX on a Saturday,I want to spend a few hours in Trier,then come back the same day,can't do with the bus,maybe train there and bus back???
Old Jan 10, 17, 7:29 am

That's bad luck. I just checked and there appears to be a bus line 117 going from the city via the airport to Trier and only takes 50 minutes from the airport to get there. Unfortunately it does not operate on weekends.
Old Jan 10, 17, 7:58 am
Original Poster

That's bad luck. I just checked and there appears to be a bus line 117 going from the city via the airport to Trier and only takes 50 minutes from the airport to get there. Unfortunately it does not operate on weekends.
Yes,never mind,thanks for your input,very grateful....
Old Jan 10, 17, 9:11 am

If it's any consolation, they seem to have reduced their ticket price. I once used the service and only paid for the part Trier->Border and it cost me 6 or 7€.

Their return ticket deal for 9.6€ bookable online, at ticketing machines and ticket offices is really not bad. BTW: The city bus lines (1 to 30, I believe) in Luxembourg are free on Saturdays.

Last edited by WorldLux; Jan 23, 17 at 5:02 am
Old Jan 23, 17, 2:37 am
Original Poster

If it's any consolation, they seem to have reduced their ticket price. I once used the service and only paid for the part Trier->Border and it cost me 6 or 7.

Their return ticket deal for 9.6 bookable online, at ticketing machines and ticket offices is really not bad. BTW: The city bus lines (1 to 3, I believe) in Luxembourg are free on Saturdays.
Yes,I bought my ticket at Luxembourg station, 9.60 return,nice journey,double decker train,and indeed the buses were free,including the Airport bus!! Trier was great,enjoyed my visit,no passport check or anything on the train,just checked my ticket.

Search this Thread