Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Stockholm to Oslo by train & Norway in Nutshell booking

Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

Plan trip (Stockholm to Oslo, one way) in June.
Which is the best web site to book the ticket? How many classes of service offered? So far I casually checked one site that showed only 1 fare, something like US$44. I suspect it be 2nd class? I want 1st class if offered.

Also interested in Oslo to Bergen by Norway in Nutshell. Where best to book ticket?

Besides the above, I also contemplate train from Oslo to Copenhagen to Stockholm. Should I book point to point? Or, is there savings to book them as 1 ticket, if possible?

How far in advance should I book?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:26 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
For trains departing Sweden, use http://www.sj.se/ - you can easily get e-tickets direct from them, and it's clear which class you're booking.

On the Stockholm-Oslo route, there are two classes of service. First class on the X2000 service looks like this:

Between Copenhagen and Stockholm, also book via sj.se - same train. There's only a few direct services, but there are more if you change in Malmo (as well as a very comfortable overnight service from Malmo).

Between Copenhagen and Oslo there's no easy rail route, but there is a direct, overnight ferry service which is very convenient, via https://www.dfdsseaways.dk/

For Norway in a Nutshell, see https://www.norwaynutshell.com/

If you need just the train from Bergen back to Oslo or v/v then http://www.nsb.no/
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by stut
For trains departing Sweden, use http://www.sj.se/ -
Between Copenhagen and Oslo there's no easy rail route, but there is a direct, overnight ferry service which is very convenient, via https://www.dfdsseaways.dk/

http://www.nsb.no/
I find the Copenhagen-Oslo rail connection easy; It involves changing trains at Malmo and Goteborg.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

stut and Track,

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

When should I book, 30 days out or ...?

Tickets seem expensive (compares to de bahn for travel in Germany ..). Is that seasonal?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel
stut and TrackTickets seem expensive (compares to de bahn for travel in Germany ..). Is that seasonal?
You don't say when in June you will travel. Don't forget the Midsummer festival in late-June will make things busier so fares may rise at that time
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farci
You don't say when in June you will travel. Don't forget the Midsummer festival in late-June will make things busier so fares may rise at that time
My schedule is quite flexible, most like early June.

Midsummer festival looks like fun! Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles/Aeroplan
stut and Track,

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

When should I book, 30 days out or ...?

Tickets seem expensive (compares to de bahn for travel in Germany ..). Is that seasonal?
Try the ferry link above. If you buy the less expensive cabins, it is cheaper than the train. If you are 2 or more people travelling together, it is VERY cheap, as the price is for a cabin, not per person. Also, you save one hotel night.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danaraujo
Try the ferry link above. If you buy the less expensive cabins, it is cheaper than the train. If you are 2 or more people travelling together, it is VERY cheap, as the price is for a cabin, not per person. Also, you save one hotel night.
Good to know. Yes, we are a party of 2.
Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by danaraujo
Apart from the price and convenience Oslo-Copenhagen by ferry is also a beautiful trip at that time of year. You sail down Oslo Fjord in daylight right into the centre of Copenhagen near the Little Mermaid. The ships are more like cruise liners with a good selection of restaurants, bars and entertainment
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:32 am

Apart from the price and convenience Oslo-Copenhagen by ferry is also a beautiful trip at that time of year. You sail down Oslo Fjord in daylight right into the centre of Copenhagen near the Little Mermaid. The ships are more like cruise liners with a good selection of restaurants, bars and entertainment
You sail up the Skagerrak, sail down the Kattegat, round the harbour and up to the quay, and there she stands... Well, not quite. But it is a rather lovely journey.

What train fare types are you seeing on sj.se? It's usually pretty easy to get a 1st class single for Kr295 on this route (this is the inflexible, advance purchase fare).
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

The ferry looks real interesting. Love to have a chance to see more Fjords. Thanks for the tip.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
You sail up the Skagerrak, sail down the Kattegat, round the harbour and up to the quay, and there she stands... Well, not quite. But it is a rather lovely journey.

What train fare types are you seeing on sj.se? It's usually pretty easy to get a 1st class single for Kr295 on this route (this is the inflexible, advance purchase fare).
Re: the DFDS ferry, I am sold! Thank you.

That link connects me to this https://www.sj.se/sv/hem.html#/
Unfortunately it is all "Greek" to me. So I was not sure what I was seeing at the time. Need to go back and look at it more carefully. Why are prices in fr ? Hope there is a way to read it in English.

Thank you stut. You always have been extremely helpful!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Now I have a new question (perhaps it might be better served in the Nordic Countries Forum). Moderator, please move if you see appropriate.

I plan 9 nights to do the following:

Fly in and fly out of ARN (arrive 14:00 and depart 9 days later at 22:00).

1. Want to see Stockholm
2. Want to see Bergen
3. Do the Norway in Nutshell railway, from Bergen to Oslo.
4. Want to see Oslo (1 night, perhaps)
5. Ferry Oslo to Copenhagen
6. Copenhagen 1 night
7. Return to Stockholm (by train if scenic; else or by air), enough time to catch my flight

How I can fit it all in in 9 nights? Thank in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:38 am

Now I have a new question (perhaps it might be better served in the Nordic Countries Forum). Moderator, please move if you see appropriate.

I plan 9 nights to do the following:

Fly in and fly out of ARN (arrive 14:00 and depart 9 days later at 22:00).

1. Want to see Stockholm
2. Want to see Bergen
3. Do the Norway in Nutshell railway, from Bergen to Oslo.
4. Want to see Oslo (1 night, perhaps)
5. Ferry Oslo to Copenhagen
6. Copenhagen 1 night
7. Return to Stockholm (by train if scenic; else or by air), enough time to catch my flight

How I can fit it all in in 9 nights? Thank in advance.
3. If you travel to Bergen - and you like railways - it's worthwhile considering the Flm trip if only for the train ride

7. The train route from Copenhagen-Stockholm is not very scenic and there are lots of airlines competing. Hotel accomodation at Arlanda is expensive. Bear in mind the airport is a long way from the city so best if you can schedule CPH-ARN the same day as your US flight
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:15 am

Try the English language version here:

https://www.sj.se/en/home.html#/

The language switch is a little hidden these days. The "fr" isn't a currency, it just means "prices from".

On 7 - you could also consider the very comfortable sleeper train from Malmo to Stockholm as an alternative. I use it on occasion for business trips. Malmo and Lund are worth a visit en route.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.