Wiki Posts
Search

Vienna to Salzburg and Return?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Question Vienna to Salzburg and Return?

We will be flying in to VIE and I have the following questions re: train travel.

Our plan is to fly into VIE and take the train from VIE to Salzburg...is that doable from the airport and, if so, is there only one line that serves the route?

Our return from Salzburg would be to Vienna a few days later or, another option would be, return to VIE.

Is there only one line that serves the itinerary or are there several choices?

We would have several pieces of large luggage...will that be a problem on the train/s?

As you can see, I am not experienced with train travel in Europe and any information/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you to anyone who responds and to all who view this message...I wish you a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
It looks like there are quite a few direct trains from VIE to Salzburg, more options changing in Vienna and Graz. That'll be by ÖBB (Austrian Federal Railway). From/back to Vienna, you also have the choice of Westbahn as well.

As for bags, you're likely going to have to haul them on and off the trains yourself. Book first (or even the more expensive business) class (cheaper - even quite affordable - if purchased in advance but inflexible - miss the specific train and you buy a new ticket) for more space. Not sure how Westbahn Plus compares.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Question Further help????

I am trying to get timetables from both OBB and Westbahn but see no DIRECT train from VIE to Salzburg.

What train lines serve Salzburg direct from Vienna International Airport...i'd like to not have to change trains...if possible.

Thank you again to anyone who can help.

Walt
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by ddschur
I am trying to get timetables from both OBB and Westbahn but see no DIRECT train from VIE to Salzburg.

What train lines serve Salzburg direct from Vienna International Airport...i'd like to not have to change trains...if possible.

Thank you again to anyone who can help.

Walt
Shoved this into bahn.de for, say, next week, looks to be basically every half hour:

Dunno about pricing, as you don't enter Germany bahn.de won't quote you. That umst column indicates changes
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:34 am

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?

In the "product" area you can select only direct connections.

I selected random date in January and it shows 19€ discount tickets for a bunch of departures. Normal fare seems to be 58,50€

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.