Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New, cheap train to Ukraine from Poland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by poisson
I doubt I'd get much sleep on the overnight train, so I'll likely take a train from Krakow to Przemyśl, then take a train from there to Lviv.

I'm considering: Krakow-Przemyśl train, bus to border, cross the border on foot, then bus to Lviv just for the experience. My only concern is that I've heard the wait at the border can sometimes be long. Not sure I want to spend hours doing that.
Shouldn't be too long, but keep in mind that as of very recently, the minibuses from the border do NOT travel to the train station, but rather a bus station on the outskirts of the city. There, you have to change to something that will take you downtown.

The train is very nice and I'd recommend it. You can also book tickets online on the Ukrainian website and the price is really dirt cheap.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA,DL
The wait in Medyka to cross in to Ukraine is few minutes or none. But on the way back - it can take hoers.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by elpi
The wait in Medyka to cross in to Ukraine is few minutes or none. But on the way back - it can take hoers.
I'm guessing this is because people are smuggling items from the Ukraine to EU, but not the reverse?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'm guessing this is because people are smuggling items from the Ukraine to EU, but not the reverse?
EU border controls are tighter because more people want to enter the EU than Ukraine :P

P.S. It's "Ukraine" not "the Ukraine"
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Palal
There's an overnight train from KRK as well as a number of buses.
Does anyone have any experience with this overnight train that they'd care to share?

I had a great time in PL with my wife and kids and we'd like to go back and combine with a side-trip from Krakow to Lviv. However, I'd have to be able to assure my wife, who is a bit skittish when it comes to the prospect of travelling to Ukraine, about the comfort and safety of the train.

Is it possible to get a sleeping compartment for 4 with a locking door?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Does anyone have any experience with this overnight train that they'd care to share?

I had a great time in PL with my wife and kids and we'd like to go back and combine with a side-trip from Krakow to Lviv. However, I'd have to be able to assure my wife, who is a bit skittish when it comes to the prospect of travelling to Ukraine, about the comfort and safety of the train.

No personal experience, but I don't think you'll be getting much sleep (or so I've heard). The train will have to stop near the border to change the gauge of wheels, then stop again for passport control.

The best option is to take the train from Krakow to Przemyśl, then take the direct train from Przemyśl to Lviv. It's about a 6-7hr journey.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
No personal experience, but I don't think you'll be getting much sleep (or so I've heard). The train will have to stop near the border to change the gauge of wheels, then stop again for passport control.

The best option is to take the train from Krakow to Przemyśl, then take the direct train from Przemyśl to Lviv. It's about a 6-7hr journey.
Thank you. So the option you recommended is a day train?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:21 pm

Thank you. So the option you recommended is a day train?
Yes, especially considering the day train route is slightly quicker.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver

The safety of the train is fine. If it's a 2nd class compartment (4 berths) the doors lock. You can buy out the entire compartment if you want.

As others have mentioned there is a gauge changing process that takes a couple of hours, and then passport control.

If you do a change of trains at the border during the day - this avoids the problem of having to wait for the gauge changer.
heraclitus likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Palal
The safety of the train is fine. If it's a 2nd class compartment (4 berths) the doors lock. You can buy out the entire compartment if you want.

As others have mentioned there is a gauge changing process that takes a couple of hours, and then passport control.

If you do a change of trains at the border during the day - this avoids the problem of having to wait for the gauge changer.
Is the day train from Przemyśl to Lviv already set up for the correct gauge?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:40 am

Is the day train from Przemyśl to Lviv already set up for the correct gauge?
The problem of different gauge width at Polish - (then)Soviet Union border was solved in such a way that at one crossing, namely, Terespol (Poland) -Brest (now Belarus) European track continued into the Soviet/Belarus teritory.

At the other crossing, the one we are talking about, (and remember that for may years there existed only 2 rail crossing points between Poland and the Soviet Union) - it was done reversely.
The Soviet track continued into Poland's territory from Mostiska (now Ukraine) to Przemysl (Poland).
Thus Przemysl railway station has a seperate platform with a wide gauge track leading straight to Ukraine.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Barciur
Shouldn't be too long, but keep in mind that as of very recently, the minibuses from the border do NOT travel to the train station, but rather a bus station on the outskirts of the city. There, you have to change to something that will take you downtown.

The train is very nice and I'd recommend it. You can also book tickets online on the Ukrainian website and the price is really dirt cheap.

Hi, I would like to book two tickets on the Premszyl to Kiev train for me and my friend, and was wondering how we could do this? Thank you
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Christian Richardson

Hi, I would like to book two tickets on the Premszyl to Kiev train for me and my friend, and was wondering how we could do this? Thank you
LMGTFY
Old May 7, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Which gives 7 results
  1. Top-level govt info about buying train tickets in UKR
  2. Same as (1) but source is Trip Advisor
  3. How to get from London to Kiev
  4. Buy a ticket from Warsaw to Kiev
  5. UKR train times 2018
  6. Rzeszow to Lviv
  7. Very general tourist/historical info about Przemysl
(6) is likely to be the most relevant, since it's on the same route, but I'm guessing that the OP was wondering if any people on FT had particular info on this.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Christian Richardson

Hi and welcome FlyerTalk, Chris - always good to see new members joining up so thanks for being here and indeed for your very first contribution.

The only solution I could think of on top of my head [in order to purchase tickets from Przemyśl Główny to Kiev Pass beforehand/on-line] is either the DB Bahn website (I doubt it will let you but it is certainly worth a shot) or an on-line ticketing agent such as Polrail (https://www.polrail.com/en); I'm afraid the PKP (the main Polish rail operator) website will not let you, yet it goes without saying that you will still be able to get them at the departure station or even at Warszawa Centralna/Wschodnia/Zachodnia (the Warsaw's main train stations) if you happen to be in the capital at any time during your journey, you will most likely find an English speaking agent and you will easily be able to pay by debit/credit card.

Any doubts, please let us know.

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.