FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   European Rail Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel-654/)
-   -   Broad questions for Florence to MXP train??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel/1795390-broad-questions-florence-mxp-train.html)

ddschur Oct 8, 2016 9:40 am

Broad questions for Florence to MXP train???

Will be taking train from Florence SMN to MXP in near future.

I hope someone will be able to help me understand better some questions I have:

1. train goes from Florence to Milan Centrale and change trains to go to MXP. 15 minute changeover. Will this be a problem since we'll have quite a bit of luggage after long European visit?

2. Would plan to travel first class...ample room for luggage in rail car or must it be checked somehow? If it has to be checked...what is process for check-in and pick up?

3. Best to purchase tix online?

4. When we arrive MXP, how far to BA check-in from train arrival station? Are porters or carts available nearby?

5. Do tix need to be "verified" before boarding train in Florence? Do they have to be re-verified in Milan?

6. Any other info you think is important to know that I haven't asked?

Thank you to anyone who responds!!!

Walt^^

Nico40 Oct 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by ddschur (Post 27319844)
1. train goes from Florence to Milan Centrale and change trains to go to MXP. 15 minute changeover. Will this be a problem since we'll have quite a bit of luggage after long European visit?

You just have to change tracks. Some hundred meters, same level.
Worst thing, in case of delay, would be to wait for the next train to the airport, 30 min later (these are regional trains so no reservation, so you can take a later one without trouble).

2. Would plan to travel first class...ample room for luggage in rail car or must it be checked somehow?
There are no checked luggage facilities in Italy. The room should be more than enough. The practical limit is what you can handle by yourself ;-)
By the way don't travel first class only for luggage space. Even in economy that's ok.

3. Best to purchase tix online?
Usually yes if you want to get reduced prices as they're sold on a first come first served basis and disappear some days before. But in that case tickets are usually not changeable for another train (or only with a fee).
If you want full flexibility, you may wish to wait rather than to loose time to change tickets.

4. When we arrive MXP, how far to BA check-in from train arrival station?
At a walkable distance. That's terminal 1 so no need to take any shuttle.

5. Do tix need to be "verified" before boarding train in Florence? Do they have to be re-verified in Milan?
At Firenze yes (but that's a rough control, they're just looking for something that looks like to a train ticket with the correct date).
At Milan no, unless you're leaving the station and/or if you're changing trains at Porta Garibaldi, where some high speed services call at, instead of Centrale.

6. Any other info you think is important to know that I haven't asked?
If concerned by reaching a BA flight for Florence... Well, they're are also serving Florence. And also Rome Fiumicino which has some direct high speed trains from Florence (4 a day or so).

ddschur Oct 11, 2016 5:51 am

Thank you!

Thank you for your response!

The information you provided was very helpful to me and I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Take care,

Walt^

Palal Oct 12, 2016 8:39 am

Originally Posted by ddschur (Post 27319844)

Just to clarify this point - you don't need to do any type of check-in or anything. There may be a cursory ticket check before boarding (and one on the train as well), but you don't need to go find someone to 'check you in'.

Also just so you know, there are two high-speed operators - italo and trenitalia. Both operate between Milan and Florence.

Since your flight time is fixed, you may as well go ahead and buy the tickets online, since they are very unlikely to be cheaper. While delays are not extremely common, 15-20 minute delays can occur. Pad some time on the airport end.

ddschur Oct 13, 2016 8:40 am

Thank you Palal!

Palal,

Thank you for the amplifications...very useful info.

Take care,

Walt^