Reload this Page >

1st or 2nd class train travel

Old Jul 19, 16, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold

Hi folks,

i'm planning a trip to Czech/Germany/Denmark/Netherlands in October and am looking at train options.

At Bahn.de, train from Prague to Berlin is 19 euro is second class and 79 euro in first class.

My attempt at reading the website makes it seem that first class is a slightly nicer seat and some complimentary light food options.

To me, that's not worth 50 euro. I'm traveling with one other person, so it's 100 euro actually. I'm not looking to do this trip "on the cheap" as the 100 euro wouldn't change my life or anything, but I am trying to spend my money wisely.

Can anyone comment to me on the differences between 1st and 2nd class, and if i'm correct that the differences are not that extreme. Because I'm traveling with a companion, seat width/having my own direct aisle access seat is slightly less important as I'm unlikely to be seated next to a stranger.

I'll be planning other train travel throughout Germany and Holland - but am trying to piece together each train as it becomes 90 days away. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.
Old Jul 19, 16, 8:37 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I never travel 2nd class whatever it costs (I only travel bahn on Business if I not after a long car-ride). Main reason is, that 1st class is much more silent and you don´t have school-classes etc. inside. On the other Hand my parents travel only 1st class if price is OK, so in your constellation they would choose 2nd class. In the end 1st class is a 1-2 configuation while 2nd class is a 2-2 configuration. So yes, seat is nicer. If it´s worth is an individual decision. 2nd class is not that bad, but I would pay 60 (79 -19 = 60) without doubt, but regarding your question I´m sure you will be fine with 2nd class.
Old Jul 19, 16, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
I would suggest that you get the very reasonable 2nd class ticket and then go and sit in the restaurant car, which will have better seating than 2nd class. Enjoy a few beers or coffee and cake while you go along the Danube betwen Prague and Dresden.
Old Jul 19, 16, 9:13 am

I've done both and unless the prices are close, I'll usually take 2nd class. There isn't a huge difference in seats. The only time I wished I took 1st class was on a train from Bratislava to Budapest where they oversold tickets so the train was out of seats. I honestly didn't even know I booked 2nd class at the counter, just took what the clerk gave me. Lots of backpackers crowding things, but was lucky enough to grab a seat in the dining car otherwise it would have been miserable.
Old Jul 19, 16, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Well, I went to purchase the tickets in 2nd class and was offered a Delta-style buy-up to first at booking, the total was 68 euro for two people in first, it was going to be 38 euro in second, so 15 pp for the up charge, i chose to live a little.

I guess I can come back in 3 months and determine if I felt like it was worth it or not.
Old Jul 19, 16, 1:15 pm

Depends on the price differential really, it's usually just about worth the extra money if bought on a sparpreis just for the quieter carriage if nothing else
Old Jul 20, 16, 12:09 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
Food in 1st class is NOT complimentary. They will serve it at your seat but you have to pay for everything you order.
Old Jul 20, 16, 3:00 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Kathrin View Post
Food in 1st class is NOT complimentary. They will serve it at your seat but you have to pay for everything you order.
You only get some free treats like Gummibärchen or small biscuits. Food is free at the few 1st class lounges in the train stations.
Old Jul 20, 16, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by jeff191 View Post
Lots of backpackers crowding things
One of the reasons I don´t travel 2nd class

At 15 € per person it´s a good deal and you did the right decision.
Old Jul 20, 16, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
You only get some free treats like Gummibärchen or small biscuits. Food is free at the few 1st class lounges in the train stations.
Nice Schoko-Linsen last night!
Old Jul 21, 16, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Nice Schoko-Linsen last night!
Saves dinner
Old Jul 21, 16, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
In 1.class IIRC there are more table seats, which I like because it is easier to use my laptop.

And I have only been on one oversold 1.class train (Cologne to Hamburg), where I found my reserved seats occupied.
Old Jul 21, 16, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
where I found my reserved seats occupied.
So someone had to stand up
Old Jul 21, 16, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
So someone had to stand up
Yes, four college-age young ladies had taken all seats around a table; the one in my reserved seat moved right away. As all of them were of small stature, she was able to squeeze in between her companions.

Also, do all seats in 2.class have individual power ports?
Old Jul 22, 16, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post

Also, do all seats in 2.class have individual power ports?
They do on the ICE, but not on the older ICs.

Search this Thread