swiss rail note re 1st class

Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:30 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I've been traveling in Switz. for over 50 years (in the early days with a Eurailpass [1st class]), now with the aid of a 1/2 fare "card", I use 1st class day passes. For the first time, a week ago on two different trains, there were coaches labeled "1st class", each seat in addition had "1st class" on the head cushion. BUT, the seating arrangement was 2 + 2, not the usual 1 + 2, hence narrower seats. Have they gone over to "cost cutting"?
[Besides less crowding, one of the perks of 1st class is (or should be), wider seats (as well as more leg room).
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:41 am

Which kind of train was it exactly? InterCity, local Trains, SBB or a private rail company?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I've had this from time to time on SBB trains between ZRH and Basel.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprngli Connaisseur
In the Zrich metropolitan area the S-Bahn trains are typically 2+2. The long-haul trains are 1+2. Sometimes you will see that the S-Bahn train sets are being used for a long-haul route. This is generally announced as there is a train of a different configuration: 'In ein andere Formation', and the sign at the track will often say 'Erzsatzzug'.

I've not noticed if the online schedule notes if there is a substitution train, but I can imagine it does.

The newer 2+2 s-bahn train sets have been around as long as I have in Switzerland, over 10 years. But until recently I think they've been fairly limited to the Zrich and Basel areas.

2nd class seating apparently includes the stairs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.