Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Euro-Rail Discounts through credit-card program?

Old Feb 19, 16, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Any credit cards out there that offer a discount on a rail pass through the euro-rail? Planning a trip abroad for a month to two next summer. Hoping to knock down country-wide access expense through some kind of rewards program.
Old Feb 20, 16, 1:58 am

There is no such entity as 'euro-rail'.
What do you mean by 'country-wide access? Is this one country or several?
I strongly doubt there is any credit card which has what you look for and it seems a foolish idea to expend money on a credit card in this way thinking you will save any worthwhile sum of money.
Old Feb 20, 16, 2:31 am

When you decide which countries to visit be very wary of all-inclusive 'rail passes' which can work out more expensive than point to point tickets.

Check Seat61.com for inspiration
Old Feb 20, 16, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plat, UK AMEX Plat
Some Amex MR programs (eg the UK one) let you transfer MR points into Eurostar Frequent Traveller points. It's 450 Eurostar points for a single standard class ticket between London and Lille/Paris/Brussels, and generally they can be booked up until the last minute as availability is generally very good. It's 500 points for the south of France services, eg the Ski train or the Marseille train, but as that's such great value the frequent traveller tickets tend to sell out fairly quickly. You can also redeem Eurostar frequent traveller points for TGV tickets, but that's generally less good value.

For the UK, it's 15 Amex MR points per Eurostar frequent traveller ticket.

If you want a return, you can go via Avios too, but that's generally only about 0.6p/avios in value. Details on this HeadForPoints article
Old Feb 23, 16, 5:16 pm
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by farci View Post
When you decide which countries to visit be very wary of all-inclusive 'rail passes' which can work out more expensive than point to point tickets.

Check Seat61.com for inspiration
Even though a railpass may be more expensive, the convenience (for NON-reservation trains) of just boarding (nearly) any train, WITHOUT STANDING IN LINE to purchase a ticket, could offset the extra expense.
[Point to point DISCOUNT tickets often requires extra planning.]
Old Feb 23, 16, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate your advice. I would start from London find a train to the Britanny region of France (explore that area), then travel south along the border of Spain stopping to see some of the wine country. From there I will be looking to go East to the Alps. After the French Side of the alps I'd head into northern Italy to see Milan, Florence, and Venice. I'd then take a ferry over to Croatia. From there I'd go North to Vienna and I'd end in the Czech Republic. Looking at some of the options you all have given me the country pass is foolish. Seat 61 seems to be a great resource to use. I need to become more familiar with the site. I do not have an Amex Card, but I have read that using statement credit would be an option, although it would require a lot of points.
Old Feb 24, 16, 3:08 am

When you figure out your itinerary, perhaps using the DB timetable service you can make reservations online for multiple countries using Captain Train

Search this Thread