Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

New Eurostar trains - how can I get one?

Old Oct 13, 15, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt

Has anyone figured out the method to the madness of how they're allocating them on schedule now? Is there any way of figuring out how I can predictably get one?
Cheers
Old Oct 13, 15, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plat, UK AMEX Plat
Which do you mean - the new new E320 trains, or the refurbished E300 trains (old train, new interior)?
Old Oct 14, 15, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Either! Last 3 trips this past month have been all old trains.
Old Oct 14, 15, 2:06 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
From what I understand, the only way to tell is from the seat selection tool (there's fewer, but longer carriages). However, you don't get to use this until after you've paid, so you can't tell in advance.

If you're in London, I guess your best bet is to head to the booking office in St Pancras - they're a lovely bunch there anyway.
Old Oct 14, 15, 2:06 am
Original Poster

er, old interiors I mean
Old Oct 14, 15, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut View Post
From what I understand, the only way to tell is from the seat selection tool (there's fewer, but longer carriages). However, you don't get to use this until after you've paid, so you can't tell in advance.

If you're in London, I guess your best bet is to head to the booking office in St Pancras - they're a lovely bunch there anyway.
Ah I see. I was hoping to find out in advance. Guess I can pop by the booking office after work one day. Cheers stut
Old Oct 14, 15, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plat, UK AMEX Plat
I think the problem is that, like airlines, they don't guarantee a given service will be operated by a given train. So, while you can find which train ought to be running a given service, you might turn up to find a different one waiting.

Eurostar are still waiting for delivery and sign-off of many of the new E320s, and most of the old trains can't go into to be refurbished into E300s until there's something to take their place while they're gone

If you have a look at the Eurostar FAQs on the new trains, they're expecting to have most of them in service by the end of next year. Initially, they'll mostly be on the Paris runs, as those tend to need the extra seats the most. Later, if you take a train to Amsterdam it'll have to be an E320, as those are the only ones that can handle that signalling. Ditto Germany, for even later still.

If you can get to St Pancras at a quiet time, asking in the ticket office might help you with finding out a train that ought to have it on, otherwise wait a bit longer for a higher chance!
Old Oct 14, 15, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I know they won't guarantee anything but I figured some trainspotter may have figured out a pattern like "second train of day to Paris is always new" or similar. Never underestimate trainspotters

Search this Thread