Budapest Keleti arrival and departure status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere

We're scheduled to arrive on Thursday 10 Sept on the overnight from Prague and to depart on Tuesday 15 Sept on a 7:10 AM train to Vienna.

Just wondering if there are any first hand reports (not conjecture) about how the situation is at the station.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:16 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Can't give you a first hand report, nor can I predict what will happen in the next week...

However, do bear in mind that the Prague train stops at Vac, which has a regular service to Budapest-Nyugati, which could be of use if the crowds at Keleti persist.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by stut
Can't give you a first hand report, nor can I predict what will happen in the next week...

However, do bear in mind that the Prague train stops at Vac, which has a regular service to Budapest-Nyugati, which could be of use if the crowds at Keleti persist.
Thank you. I had checked the EN 477 schedule and realized that it stopped (very briefly) at Vac. I didn't know how difficult it would be to get to Budapest from there. Knowing that there'e regular service from Vac makes it a good option.

I just watched a TV report which said that the police have stopped blocking the refugees at Keleti.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Right now EC trains from Prague & Bratislava bound for Budapest are all terminating at Szob. No thru trains at the moment to Budapest. No train traffic at all to Austria.

Needless to say, the situation is likely to change each day. I wouldnt worry too much getting into Budapest. Getting to Vienna is what is most likely the biggest problem. It might be wise to check out alternatives by bus.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:37 am

The latest updates are posted on the Hungarian railways' website, in English as well:

http://www.mavcsoport.hu/en

Obviously, with the current situation, this could change day by day.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Right now EC trains from Prague & Bratislava bound for Budapest are all terminating at Szob. No thru trains at the moment to Budapest. No train traffic at all to Austria.

Needless to say, the situation is likely to change each day. I wouldnt worry too much getting into Budapest. Getting to Vienna is what is most likely the biggest problem. It might be wise to check out alternatives by bus.
Originally Posted by stut
The latest updates are posted on the Hungarian railways' website, in English as well:

http://www.mavcsoport.hu/en

Obviously, with the current situation, this could change day by day.
Thank you both. We're flying to PRG later today and I'll stay on top of the situation daily.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: VA Velocity, SQ KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Getting to Vienna is what is most likely the biggest problem. It might be wise to check out alternatives by bus.
Agreed. What ways can a passenger with valid travel document to go from Budapest to Vienna at the moment since no trains are running and if they cannot drive?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:18 pm

There's always the hydrofoil:

http://www.ddsg-blue-danube.at/eng/c...il_to_budapest

They do seem to be taking bookings.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:37 pm

You can still go by train, but it's a bit awkward: see here.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:54 pm

If you have trouble getting into Budapest Keleti station (as has been the case last week), all trains to Vienna also stop at Budapest Kelenföld, unbeknownst to most refugees so there is no problem getting into the station there. You can easily get there by metro. That is, if trains are running again until then!

If not, you will have to make your way to Hegyeshalom and change to the Austrian trains there, as they are currently not being continued to Budapest. This might change any day though. If you are still forced to make your own way to Hegyeshalom I'd recommend a bus as trains will require multiple very complicated and unpredictable changes. Austrian railjets are operating normally from Hegyeshalom. Austrian Federal Railways is also currently offering refunds on all tickets to and from Hungary that have been bought from them.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Revilo199
If you are still forced to make your own way to Hegyeshalom I'd recommend a bus as trains will require multiple very complicated and unpredictable changes.
The train journey requires a change of trains at Győr and Hegyeshalom, both of which (especially the latter) are small stations. It will take longer than normal, of course, but the process is straightforward.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:34 am

Update - 4th September

As reported yesterday, all the entrances to Keleti station are now open, but this has only had the effect of some refugees decamping to inside the station itself.

Trains to Győr (for the Austrian border) are leaving from platforms 7 or 8, which are the central two platforms of the four which are under the main station roof. These are the only platforms where there can be effective barrier access, and police are checking IDs and tickets here.

The subterranean level, which is the de facto main refugee “camp”, is becoming increasingly squalid, and there are more people here now than there were on Wednesday, when I was last here, despite the subsequent temporary “release”, so to speak, yesterday. This is a large area, stretching right out under the square in front of the station. It is partly covered and partly uncovered, and there are many people still out in the open – when it starts raining seriously, the situation can only become more dire. At street level, there are further refugees and the area immediately in front of the main station entrance seems to have been taken over by media crews.

If you are arriving at the station by metro, each of the exits (from line 2 and line 4) decants you right into the middle of this mass of humanity. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find a way through to the station without stepping on something, because what informal pathways there were are rapidly disappearing. If you are arriving from line 2, the best way to get into the station is as follows: at the exit at the top of the escalators, immediately do a U-turn to the right. Go up the steps to street level, and the station building is on your left. Walk alongside the building for about 50 metres, and there is a side entrance to the station proper there.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:06 am

Following last night's events, the number of refugees remaining at Keleti is in the low hundreds, compared to the 2-3,000 earlier in the week. Part of the subterranean level has been cleared.

International train services are gradually getting back to normal. Trains to/from Bratislava and Prague seem to be operating almost as usual, but Railjets to/from Vienna are not back to the normal schedule yet. The 17:10 Railjet to Vienna and Salzburg was replaced by a fast train to Hegyeshalom, making the same stops, and connecting with the Railjet there. Quite a few refugees caught this train, although it was by no means full. Then soon after, a couple of hundred refugees started the long walk – presumably because they had no money for the train ticket.

The police presence on the station this afternoon was minimal, and there were no ticket or ID controls on the platforms. Everything was very orderly.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the continuing updates, they're very much appreciated.

I'm happy for everyone that the situation seems to be getting resolved.

It does seem that we'll have minimal trouble next week coming from Prague an then leaving for Vienna the following week.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Thank you for the continuing updates, they're very much appreciated.

I'm happy for everyone that the situation seems to be getting resolved.

It does seem that we'll have minimal trouble next week coming from Prague an then leaving for Vienna the following week.
Yes. Unless you're travelling with a Syrian passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.