Swiss train travel questions

Swiss train travel questions

Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:51 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Hello,

I tried to book a train ticket from Zurich HB to Lausanne on sbb.ch website for 3rd June 2018 departure but I keep getting this error N"OT_FOUND: ips.meldung.nova.50006" when I attempt to click the purchase button. Can someone pls advise what's wrong?
I tried to book your itn even in May--but the message was in English noting that it was not in the advance booking period. But for April I can book it. My guess is the advance period is up to one month.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
I tried to book your itn even in May--but the message was in English noting that it was not in the advance booking period. But for April I can book it. My guess is the advance period is up to one month.
In Switzerland trains are just public transit. Buying tickets on the day of travel is the norm, buying in advance the exception. I usually buy train tickets using the SBB app, often only seconds before departure.
When the SBB decided to offer tickets over the internet they probably picked the one month booking horizon because it is a round number, and would suit everybody. Recently I started buying supersaver tickets a lot, but on the route I take most frequently (to/from Interlaken) I usually can get them even an hour before departure.

Old May 28, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Traveling to Switzerland this summer and have been exploring the SBB app. Can anyone tell me if tickets such as the Lucerne - Mt Pilatus "Golden Round Trip" ticket is bookable via the app once I arrive? Might it possibly show up in the "Quick Tickets" section of the app?
Old May 28, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by jrsinpdx
Traveling to Switzerland this summer and have been exploring the SBB app. Can anyone tell me if tickets such as the Lucerne - Mt Pilatus "Golden Round Trip" ticket is bookable via the app once I arrive? Might it possibly show up in the "Quick Tickets" section of the app?
I just had a quick look, though it was the business version of the app, and I didn't see any way to get these to come up.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Thanks! Not a big deal to buy at station but app would be sooo convenient.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:24 pm

I just bought a 1st class Swiss travel pass through raileurope. I see comments in years past that reservations are not needed. Is this still true? This is my first time using a rail pass. raileurope gives the option to reserve, but it's $12 per connection, plus processing, and a charge to mail paper tickets

I'll be traveling:
Zurich-Interlaken
Interlaken-Montreux
Montreux-Geneva

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dom Bologna
I just bought a 1st class Swiss travel pass through raileurope. I see comments in years past that reservations are not needed. Is this still true? This is my first time using a rail pass. raileurope gives the option to reserve, but it's $12 per connection, plus processing, and a charge to mail paper tickets

I'll be traveling:
Zurich-Interlaken
Interlaken-Montreux
Montreux-Geneva

Thanks!
I wouldn't bother with reservations. Zürich-Bern is sometimes good to have reservations if you've got a number of people together on a rush-hour train, but otherwise you should find a seat. You can probably just download the SBB app and make reservations over that if you're on a rush-hour train and have a number of people together.
Dom Bologna likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:23 pm

I'll be traveling:
Zurich-Interlaken
Interlaken-Montreux
Montreux-Geneva

Thanks!
Trains are mass transit. People rarely reserve seats here. There are trains every half hour or more on most routes. That is the nice thing about the pass. You can just hop on and travel. On average Swiss trains are only abou 25/30% full.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat

I'll be traveling:
Zurich-Interlaken
Interlaken-Montreux
Montreux-Geneva

Thanks!
Was last week on a zurich-bern train on rush hours. 2nd class was more than fully packed while on 1st class you could get your 4-seat-compartiment for yourself. Anyway, if you know already which exact train you're going to ride, I would check on the app or online the desired schedule, and next to the selected train you'll see how packed the train is predicted to be (1 to 3 symbols/guys).
On my train ride from last week: 2nd class had 3 symboles/guys and 1st class had only 2!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Artemio
Was last week on a zurich-bern train on rush hours. 2nd class was more than fully packed while on 1st class you could get your 4-seat-compartiment for yourself. Anyway, if you know already which exact train you're going to ride, I would check on the app or online the desired schedule, and next to the selected train you'll see how packed the train is predicted to be (1 to 3 symbols/guys).
On my train ride from last week: 2nd class had 3 symboles/guys and 1st class had only 2!
Currently, it's holiday time, so the trains are not very full. The indicator in the app is pretty useful.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Do SBB ticket machines accept more than one form of payment? I have extra CHF I'd like to get rid of but not enough to cover the two tickets I need, so I'd like to pay the balance with credit.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Do SBB ticket machines accept more than one form of payment? I have extra CHF I'd like to get rid of but not enough to cover the two tickets I need, so I'd like to pay the balance with credit.
I'm pretty sure you can't split a transaction between more than one payment method. But you could buy one ticket with cash, and the other with a CC or Debit card.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:57 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
You may be able to do it at a staffed counter.

The "duty free" shops at ZRH airport accepts part cash and part card (last year I paid 10 rappen by card as I was one coin short for my purchase).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.