Swiss train travel questions

Swiss train travel questions

Old May 5, 2017, 1:43 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I purchase super savers to ZRH airport.
But they must have been from spots at least 50 km away.(?)
Old May 5, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Ahhh, that's it, I come from LUG.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Yep, supersavers only available if it's not a "local" distance. They are occasionally available on the day of purchase, but the times are likely to be extremely limited. Funnily enough, the Zurich - Luzern route seems to have a lot more availability than other routes I regularly take.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Actually, if I look up (right now: 12:26 PM) for a super saver ticket from ZRH to Lucern for today. The earliest I get is the 20:47 departing train for tonight for 18.- CHF.

Last edited by Artemio; May 5, 2017 at 4:31 am Reason: dysorthographia
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I know this is last minute but I'm still confused and hoping someone will chime in.

I'm heading tomorrow night to ZRH for work. I basically have Sunday to explore and then have to get to work. I'd like to take a train somewhere with nice scenery / mountains / lake / etc., it seems like Jungfrau may be a good option.

This late though it seems like a roundtrip train can be upwards of 250-350CHF. However there's this Swiss Transfer Ticket (http://www.swisstravelsystem.co.uk/e...affiliateid=71) that would seem like a good option since I fly into ZRH and could just hop straight on the train and go to/from ZRH and then at the end of the day just take a cab back to my hotel?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Duke787
I know this is last minute but I'm still confused and hoping someone will chime in.

I'm heading tomorrow night to ZRH for work. I basically have Sunday to explore and then have to get to work. I'd like to take a train somewhere with nice scenery / mountains / lake / etc., it seems like Jungfrau may be a good option.

This late though it seems like a roundtrip train can be upwards of 250-350CHF. However there's this Swiss Transfer Ticket (http://www.swisstravelsystem.co.uk/e...affiliateid=71) that would seem like a good option since I fly into ZRH and could just hop straight on the train and go to/from ZRH and then at the end of the day just take a cab back to my hotel?
Skip the Jungfrau, the weather is forecasted to be awful until Monday. Though, the train itself is kind of interesting to ride on its own. Once. Anyways, I don't think the Swiss Transfer Ticket will get you to the top of the Jungfrau anyways, but I could be wrong.

One relatively cheap option is to take the trip up the Uetlibahn, though there are no lakes up that way. It goes out of the Züri HB https://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/travelcard...day-pass.html, and a trip to the Türlersee would pack a lake in as well https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/uetliberg-albispass-lake-tuerler.html I was at the Türlersee last weekend for a walk around, and it was pretty nice. Lunch at the Albishaus on the Albispass is at reasonable in price for Switzerland. Last weekend their special was CHF 26 for soup and main. And the food was very good. You can, of course, link all of the places on the walk planned by myswitzerland with public transportation and skip the walk between them.

Another option would be to go to Luzern, see what the weather is going to be like, and then take a trip up Pilatus, if it's not too bad. The Rigi is another option.

If you're into wine tasting, there is a huge wine event on the Lake Ferries moored at Bürkliplatz going on currently. You can find more info on that at expovina.ch.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:53 am

If you can decide today, then you can get the day saver ticket still for 100Fr. It will take you anywhere on the Swiss network except most "tourist" cable cars and trains (ie those going to unpopulated placed on a mountain) , on which you get a discount. May not be worth it if you are not going far, hence decide and check prices for a standard ticket first.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greg5
Skip the Jungfrau, the weather is forecasted to be awful until Monday. Though, the train itself is kind of interesting to ride on its own. Once. Anyways, I don't think the Swiss Transfer Ticket will get you to the top of the Jungfrau anyways, but I could be wrong.

One relatively cheap option is to take the trip up the Uetlibahn, though there are no lakes up that way. It goes out of the Züri HB https://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/travelcard...day-pass.html, and a trip to the Türlersee would pack a lake in as well https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/uetliberg-albispass-lake-tuerler.html I was at the Türlersee last weekend for a walk around, and it was pretty nice. Lunch at the Albishaus on the Albispass is at reasonable in price for Switzerland. Last weekend their special was CHF 26 for soup and main. And the food was very good. You can, of course, link all of the places on the walk planned by myswitzerland with public transportation and skip the walk between them.

Another option would be to go to Luzern, see what the weather is going to be like, and then take a trip up Pilatus, if it's not too bad. The Rigi is another option.

If you're into wine tasting, there is a huge wine event on the Lake Ferries moored at Bürkliplatz going on currently. You can find more info on that at expovina.ch.
Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
If you can decide today, then you can get the day saver ticket still for 100Fr. It will take you anywhere on the Swiss network except most "tourist" cable cars and trains (ie those going to unpopulated placed on a mountain) , on which you get a discount. May not be worth it if you are not going far, hence decide and check prices for a standard ticket first.
This is what I love about FT. Very much appreciated! Looking at prices might just grab the day saver pass and then I can have some flexibility to go where I want to go tomorrow at a set cost since it looks like basically everything other than Zurich to Lucerne would cost more than the day pass

EDIT: To add I'm confused once again since it appears a day saver can only be purchased if you have a half-price card (which I don't have). Hmmm

Last edited by Duke787; Nov 11, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:59 pm

EDIT: To add I'm confused once again since it appears a day saver can only be purchased if you have a half-price card (which I don't have). Hmmm
Sorry, I'm not able to find the page in english, but you may give it a try here

you got an hour for the booking
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:06 pm

This is what I love about FT. Very much appreciated! Looking at prices might just grab the day saver pass and then I can have some flexibility to go where I want to go tomorrow at a set cost since it looks like basically everything other than Zurich to Lucerne would cost more than the day pass

Just a reminder that the weather is supposed to be horrible tomorrow. Fairly strong winds at about 80 km/h.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Artemio

It's here. But it's 52chf for those without a half-fare card. It' says that it's 106chf on the next, but just click on that link and you'll get the half-price discount on the page after that. Sadly, the SBB site isn't quite a clear as it used to be.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:23 pm

It's here. But it's 52chf for those without a half-fare card. It' says that it's 106chf on the next, but just click on that link and you'll get the half-price discount on the page after that. Sadly, the SBB site isn't quite a clear as it used to be.
Interesting to see that you'll get the best value of it if you buy the pass at least 10 days prior the travel day. I've just learned something ^
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a reminder that the weather is supposed to be horrible tomorrow. Fairly strong winds at about 80 km/h.
Interesting to see that you'll get the best value of it if you buy the pass at least 10 days prior the travel day. I've just learned something ^
Thank you all! Managed to get it done with 3 minutes to spare while waiting for my flight to ZRH to depart. At least now my cost is fixed and I can just see what makes sense from a weather standpoint tomorrow (that's a whole different story though open to any recommendations!) once I get to the hotel.

Thanks again!!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:39 pm

Here's a webcam showing the top of Pilatus. That will give you an idea of what to expect from the views today. Pretty much in the cloud as I write this.

The Rigi is looking a good bit better this morning.

What I would probably do, is to head over to Luzern. Many of the train stations have free wifi. Zürich and Luzern both do. When you arrive, have a look at the webcams for Pilatus and Rigi. Then decide if one of them is decent.

Plan B: When you get to Luzern, and the weather atop the Rigi and Pilatus is bad. I would then take the train across the Brünig, futher to Interlaken, and then up Wengen or Grindelwald (If you have time, otherwise just continue from Interlaken), then back to Zürich via Bern (or if you have time, back over the Brünig via Luzern to Zürich).

Since you have the pass, you can just hop on any train you wish. But check the schedules on the SBB site.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:40 pm

Indeed. There are nice deals to be had in 1st class that far out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.