FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   European Rail Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel-654/)
-   -   Railjet Business Class in Austria - recent experiences? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel/1355356-railjet-business-class-austria-recent-experiences.html)

MareLuce Jun 11, 2012 1:16 am

Railjet Business Class in Austria - recent experiences?

Has anyone taken the Railjet Business class in Austria lately?

I am considering it from Salzburg to Vienna.

http://www.oebb.at/en/Services/Servi...ailjet/Classes

(odd that their Business Class is considered superior to First...)

If you have, what seating strategies for 2 would you suggest?

From the seating plan, looks like the 2 front-most ones facing the direction of travel would be best, because there's only 1 facing opposite.

There are 2 in the back that would give us each window seats, one on either side, but they look too far apart

(You can't see the seating plan unless you pretend to book a ticket from Salzburg to Austria in Business. Actually, you first choose "First" and then 'upgrade' to business in the next screen when you choose the compartment or something like that. THEN, you can see the seating plan. Odd...)

railways Jun 11, 2012 4:08 am

The Business Class seat (ex-Premium Class) is much better than the First Class seat, and the Business Class section tends to be much quieter than First Class.

The configuration of the Railjets is always the same - the Business Class section is at the Vienna end of the train (the front as you leave Salzburg). From the front of the train, Business Class is configured:
- compartment of 3
- compartment of 4
- compartment of 4
- compartment of 3
- two individual window seats

The best seats in my opinion are the two compartments of 4. I wouldn't recommend the two individual seats because they are far apart, as you say, and they feel exposed, being right next to the galley (no longer used) and the curtain separating Business from First.

I travelled recently from Munich to Vienna. Business Class was about one-third occupied. (When it was marketed as Premium, I never saw it more than half full). Whatever you reserve, you will probably find you will have also a choice of unreserved seats (unless you are travelling at the busiest time, weekday early mornings from Salzburg).

The downgrade from Premium to Business class means that you no longer get free food and drink. You can get at-seat service of food from the restaurant menu (but this is also available in First).

So for the extra €15, you get the better seat and (supposedly) a welcome drink - I wasn't offered one.

MareLuce Jun 11, 2012 3:33 pm

railways, thanks so much, that's very helpful.

These look so much nicer than the Hamburg -- > CEbit train I was on (don't remember which flavor it was.)

Any other secrets about the Railjets?
Does it make a swishing sound when running?
I can't wait!

Anything else I should know to ask on the ride while in vacation, I want to be pampered mode? :cool:

railways Jun 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Secrets about Railjet - none really. If you bring your own supplies (recommended), you can have a very civilised party in your compartment :D

Despite the demise of Premium class, it's still my favourite train journey in Europe, although (maybe surprisingly), a Virgin train in the UK at breakfast-time comes a close second.

Still, you can get a very respectable Austrian white (Gruener Veltliner) on the Railjet at €2.90 for 25cl. Compare that with Ryanair if you will. :p

MareLuce Jun 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Supplies... good point!

YVR Cockroach Jun 11, 2012 10:11 pm

What's the ride between Salzburg and Innsbruck like? Thinking of travelling from at least Salzburg to Zurich but I remember the Salzburg-Rosenheim leg is rather windy (did it in a night train going the other way too).

augustz Jun 11, 2012 11:00 pm

I'm having trouble booking the 8:40AM Railjet from Zurich to Innsbruck. I've been using bahn.de but it doesn't show up.

Is there another good place to book railjet tickets from the US? I'll be traveling July 8th 2012.

railways Jun 12, 2012 5:28 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 18740538)
What's the ride between Salzburg and Innsbruck like?

Nothing spectacular - the best part is west of Innsbruck.

Originally Posted by augustz (Post 18740737)
I'm having trouble booking the 8:40AM Railjet from Zurich to Innsbruck. I've been using bahn.de but it doesn't show up.

Is there another good place to book railjet tickets from the US? I'll be traveling July 8th 2012.

Try OeBB.

ToGo Jun 13, 2012 9:39 am

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?L=vs_call

chff Jun 17, 2012 12:08 am

I was on OBB RailJet from Budapest to Salzburg in Premium class (private compartments), was very empty in all classes, got the 1st drink free.

The next day went Slazburg to Munich on OBB but not a railjet, wasn't that nice, didn't get the first drink free

ToGo Jun 17, 2012 2:46 am

in Premium class (private compartments)
The name has changed from "Premium Class" to "Business Class".
2Class = Economy
1Class = First
1Class whit "Airline" Business Class Seats = Business (+15€/Adult)

flyer0409 Apr 20, 2014 7:20 pm

How does one upgrade? I was only given the option of 1st or 2nd on the Bahn.de website and booked 1st. It didn't even give me the option of the third class of service.

linglingfool Apr 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyer0409 (Post 22734186)
How does one upgrade? I was only given the option of 1st or 2nd on the Bahn.de website and booked 1st. It didn't even give me the option of the third class of service.

From this page:

Booking of business compartments:
book your business compartment very easily at the ticket counter, with your train attendant or on the Internet.

Use of compartments alone or together with others:

As a rule, one 1st class ticket and a reservation for 15,- Euro are required for every journey.
Sounds like you should be able to book the day of.

ToGo Apr 21, 2014 1:32 am

1) You book an reservation on ticket.oebb.at
2) you pay the 15€ when you board the train (please note there are many people who drive for free in the Business Class so you have maybe no seat).

anc305 Jan 24, 2019 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool (Post 22734366)
From this page:

Sounds like you should be able to book the day of.

I know this is an old thread and post but maybe someone can answer my question.

I am trying to book from the Frankfurt Airport to Budapest Keliti. It is a Railjet Express with no train changes required. I can buy a 1st class ticket on Bahn.de and reserve a 1st class seat but not a Business seat. Oebb.at will not sell this ticket but will allow me to reserve a Business seat for the normal 15 euro. Will it work if I buy my 1st class ticket on Bahn and pay the normal 15 euro supplement on Oebb.

Thanks