Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Railjet Business Class in Austria - recent experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Railjet Business Class in Austria - recent experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Are you sure it's an RJ the entire way under one train number? I see a few ICE to RJ options and they are sold with a Business class.
I did RJ service, on a different route, and the Austrian site would not sell me Business but the Czech site would.

Any particular reason you want to take a long train ride vs a short and sometimes cheap flight. Afternoon flights tend to be cheap ~47USD with a bag.

Originally Posted by anc305
I know this is an old thread and post but maybe someone can answer my question.

I am trying to book from the Frankfurt Airport to Budapest Keliti. It is a Railjet Express with no train changes required. I can buy a 1st class ticket on Bahn.de and reserve a 1st class seat but not a Business seat. Oebb.at will not sell this ticket but will allow me to reserve a Business seat for the normal 15 euro. Will it work if I buy my 1st class ticket on Bahn and pay the normal 15 euro supplement on Oebb.

Thanks

Last edited by Yoshi212; Jan 26, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
I know this is an old thread and post but maybe someone can answer my question.

I am trying to book from the Frankfurt Airport to Budapest Keliti. It is a Railjet Express with no train changes required. I can buy a 1st class ticket on Bahn.de and reserve a 1st class seat but not a Business seat. Oebb.at will not sell this ticket but will allow me to reserve a Business seat for the normal 15 euro. Will it work if I buy my 1st class ticket on Bahn and pay the normal 15 euro supplement on Oebb.

Thanks
There is no direct train from Frankfurt Airport to Budapest. You need to change at least once at Munich main station. Additionally you can only reserve a seat from Frankfurt Airport to Munich for the Deutsche Bahn ICE train and not for the Railjet from Munich to Budapest since the Deutsche Bahn reservation system can not make reservations on OEBB trains independent of the class you want to reserve. In first class this is a bit unpleasant since first class tickets have a reservation included for free but since the system can not make the reservation for you the only work around is to buy a separated reservation directly at the OEBB website. There you need to pay extra for it. On the OEBB website it says that you can make reservations three months in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
There is no direct train from Frankfurt Airport to Budapest. You need to change at least once at Munich main station. Additionally you can only reserve a seat from Frankfurt Airport to Munich for the Deutsche Bahn ICE train and not for the Railjet from Munich to Budapest since the Deutsche Bahn reservation system can not make reservations on OEBB trains independent of the class you want to reserve. In first class this is a bit unpleasant since first class tickets have a reservation included for free but since the system can not make the reservation for you the only work around is to buy a separated reservation directly at the OEBB website. There you need to pay extra for it. On the OEBB website it says that you can make reservations three months in advance.
I'm I missing something on the BAHN website ? 3.2.19 shows Franfurt airport to Budapest - Keleti 05:39 arrive at 16:19 , train RJ63 with 0 train changes ?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'm I missing something on the BAHN website ? 3.2.19 shows Franfurt airport to Budapest - Keleti 05:39 arrive at 16:19 , train RJ63 with 0 train changes ?
Same train two segments. Frankfurt Flughafen-Salsberg RJX63 & Salsberg-Budapest RJ63 which seems to be an operational limitation between the two countries.

If you want to save €40, in difference in pricing 1st class, you can take the S-Bahn (included in price) to Frankfurt HBF to catch an ICE to Wien and then transfer to the same RJ63 to Budapest.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
There is no direct train from Frankfurt Airport to Budapest. You need to change at least once at Munich main station.
Not true. On Saturdays and Sundays, RJX 63 runs directly Frankfurt Hbf - Frankfurt Airport - Munich - Budapest.

Similarly, in the reverse direction, RJX 66 runs from Budapest - Frankfurt on Fridays and Saturdays.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:37 am

RJ63 and RJX63 are of course the same train. DB just uses RJX, whereas ÖBB uses RJ. In Salzburg, where the train is handed over from DB to ÖBB the train designation changes, but you can just stay on the train.

Interestingly in Germany all you need to sit in those Business seats is a 1st class ticket, as DB does not have a "Business Class". So in Germany those seats are considered normal 1st class seats.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:40 pm

The train type RJX has been introduced recently by the Austrian Railways (ÖBB) to distinguish those Railjet trains between Vienna and Salzburg that stop only in Linz and St. Pölten (those are the Railjet Express trains RJX trains) and the ones stopping more frequently. This is the only difference between the two types, and besides that, as arleady mentioned, RJX63 and RJ63 are the same train.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Just to confirm. I just booked my seat reservations directly at the ÖBB website. Reservations open up exactly 90 days in advanced. It was 3€ one-way per person for first class.
MareLuce likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.