FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   European Rail Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel-654/)
-   -   France rail pass question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel/1349369-france-rail-pass-question.html)

tcook052 May 23, 2012 8:05 pm

France rail pass question

Having a France rail pass in hand I'm departing for Paris next week and am planning some day trips but have a few questions about the different types of trains in greater Paris.

I want to combine Fontainebleau with Vaux le Vicomte so checked and found SNCF trains listed from Gare Lyon to Fontainebleau-Avon but some are called TER and others Transilien. The rail pass fine print specifically mentions TER are included but doesn't mention the Transilien trains so would anyone know if I would be able to use the rail pass on those trains to travel out to Fontainebleau-Avon, between Fontainebleau-Avon and Melun and back from Melun to Gare Lyon? Or would I specifically have to opt for TER trains and times?

I'm sure I could ask while there but though I'd ask the experts here while I had the time. Thanks for any input. :)

nrr May 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 18631882)
Having a France rail pass in hand I'm departing for Paris next week and am planning some day trips but have a few questions about the different types of trains in greater Paris.

I want to combine Fontainebleau with Vaux le Vicomte so checked and found SNCF trains listed from Gare Lyon to Fontainebleau-Avon but some are called TER and others Transilien. The rail pass fine print specifically mentions TER are included but doesn't mention the Transilien trains so would anyone know if I would be able to use the rail pass on those trains to travel out to Fontainebleau-Avon, between Fontainebleau-Avon and Melun and back from Melun to Gare Lyon? Or would I specifically have to opt for TER trains and times?

I'm sure I could ask while there but though I'd ask the experts here while I had the time. Thanks for any input. :)

Virtually every train run by SNCF, will allow the use of a French rail pass. However, reserved seat trains, like TGV's have restricted the number of seats a Railpass holder can use.:td:
French railpasses let you choose the number of days in a one month period. The trip to Fotainebleau is really very short, you might consider buying a separate ticket and not use up one of your days.
PS: You can ride on many of the RER lines in Paris using a FRP (those lines owned by SNCF, line C to Versailles, line E, and line B north of Gare du Nord (which would get you to CDG)--officially this must be done on one of the validity dates for your pass, but...