FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   European Rail Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel-654/)
-   -   3 persons in Deluxe Double cabin, 2 or 3 beds? (CNL) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel/1323033-3-persons-deluxe-double-cabin-2-3-beds-cnl.html)

767400 Mar 9, 2012 12:11 pm

3 persons in Deluxe Double cabin, 2 or 3 beds? (CNL)

Looking at Zurich to Amsterdam citynightline train for 3 people. (2 adults + 1 child) We want to reserve a sleep carriage and the DB site offers us the following:

3 persons in Economy Double cabin
or
3 persons in Deluxe Double cabin

Does this mean the 3 of us will share 2 beds? Just for inquiry I changed the child to an adult and still gave me the option of 3 persons in Double cabin.

I have seen on other routes they offer 3 persons in Deluxe 3 person berth??

I tried calling the DB Germany phone but there was no option for English and I couldn't connect to the UK office.

Thanks!

KQ321 Mar 9, 2012 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by 767400 (Post 18168158)
Looking at Zurich to Amsterdam citynightline train for 3 people. (2 adults + 1 child) We want to reserve a sleep carriage and the DB site offers us the following:

3 persons in Economy Double cabin
or

Does this mean the 3 of us will share 2 beds? Just for inquiry I changed the child to an adult and still gave me the option of 3 persons in Double cabin.

I have seen on other routes they offer 3 persons in Deluxe 3 person berth??

Looking on bahn.de for 2 adults and 1 child (aged 6-14) on CNL40478 on random dates in April, I get the following options:
3 persons in Economy 3-berth cabin
3 persons in Economy double-berth cabin
3 persons in 1 Economy Double + 1 Economy Single cabin
3 persons in 3 Economy Single cabins
3 persons in Deluxe 3-berth cabin
3 persons in 3 Deluxe Single cabins

Assuming this is a single-decker carriage (CNL have double-decker sleeper cars on a few route, which have a different configuration), then the carriage is physically constructed with only two types of compartment: 'economy' (berths plus washbasin) and 'deluxe' (berths, plus ensuite shower/toilet). Both types of compartment have 3 berths, and the CNL staff fold up/down the right number of berths for the number of passengers allocated to the compartment (based on how it has been sold; they would not be happy if for example, someone booked a 2 berth compartment and then tried to fit 3 people in it). Note that reservations are sold by berth, not by compartment, so you don't need to occupy a whole compartment in order to book a berth. (For example, if a single traveller books a berth in a 2- or 3-berth compartment, they will find themselves sharing with 1 or 2 other passengers of the same sex).

I therefore understand the above offers as follows:

3 persons in Economy 3-berth cabin
3 people in one compartment, with all 3 berths down; no other passengers in the compartment (as it is at max capacity)

3 people, each in a shared 2-berth compartment, with one other passenger per compartment (ie: with the group spread across at least 2, and possibly 3, different compartments). This means that each person could be in a different compartment, sharing with a 'stranger' (ie: across 3 compartments in total), although it is likely that 2 people will be put together, and the third will be sharing with someone unknown (ie: 2 compartments in total). (If you click on "Book Selected Offer", it will ask you to indicate the gender of the passengers; I think it assumes that all three are the same gender, as presumably mixed gender groups either have to book an entire compartment, or make separate bookings).

3 persons in 1 Economy Double + 1 Economy Single cabin
2 people in one compartment, with 2 berths down; and 1 person in another compartment, with 1 berth down (ie: no other passengers in either compartment)

3 persons in 3 Economy Single cabins
3 people, each with their own compartment with 1 berth down; and no other passengers in any of the compartments.

3 persons in Deluxe 3-berth cabin
3 people in one compartment, with all 3 berths down; no other passengers in the compartment (as it is at max capacity)

3 people, each in a shared 2-berth compartment, with one other passenger per compartment. (ie: with the group spread across at least 2, and possibly 3, different compartments; and at least one compartment shared with someone else).

3 persons in 3 Deluxe Single cabins
3 people, each with their own compartment; 1 berth down, and no other passengers in any of the compartments.

I assume that what you want is the "3 persons in Deluxe 3-berth cabin" option. I am not sure why this is not being offered to you. Is it not listed at all, or is there a red cross against it (which means there is no availability for that day)?

Originally Posted by 767400 (Post 18168158)
I tried calling the DB Germany phone but there was no option for English and I couldn't connect to the UK office.

I don't think the DB Germany helpline has an automated option for English, but if you get through to a German speaker and ask (in English) to speak to someone in English, they should at least understand enough to be able to transfer you to an English speaker.

Which number are you trying for the DB UK office? Their current number, and opening times, are at: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/ho...n-the-uk.shtml

767400 Mar 9, 2012 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by KQ321 (Post 18168930)

3 people, each in a shared 2-berth compartment, with one other passenger per compartment (ie: with the group spread across at least 2, and possibly 3, different compartments). This means that each person could be in a different compartment, sharing with a 'stranger' (ie: across 3 compartments in total), although it is likely that 2 people will be put together, and the third will be sharing with someone unknown (ie: 2 compartments in total). (If you click on "Book Selected Offer", it will ask you to indicate the gender of the passengers; I think it assumes that all three are the same gender, as presumably mixed gender groups either have to book an entire compartment, or make separate bookings).

Which number are you trying for the DB UK office? Their current number, and opening times, are at: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/ho...n-the-uk.shtml

THANK YOU so much, that was the exact info I was looking for! I couldn't figure out the 3 people in the "double" room. You explained this perfectly and sincerely appreciate your time typing that out! I think other train rookies will find this post helpful!

I was also reading somewhere online that some CNL sleeper trains have adjoining rooms! that may be an option for us if we book 3 persons in 1 Economy Double + 1 Economy Single cabin.

I was calling the +44 8718 8080 66, it would ring then hang up. I was calling during posted UK hours.

Thanks again!^

KQ321 Mar 10, 2012 2:42 am

Originally Posted by 767400 (Post 18169022)
THANK YOU so much, that was the exact info I was looking for!

You're welcome - pleased it was useful.

I was also reading somewhere online that some CNL sleeper trains have adjoining rooms! that may be an option for us if we book 3 persons in 1 Economy Double + 1 Economy Single cabin.

I had momentarily forgotten this option, but I think you're right. Economy compartments have a door (normally locked) to the adjacent economy compartment; and Deluxe compartments have the same to the adjacent Deluxe compartment. If you occupy both compartments, then you can unlock the door.

However, If you want to book this option, I would strongly advise to do so by phone, as I am not sure that bahn.de would necessarily assign you two compartments that have an interlinking door.

Having 2 interlinked Economy compartments may give you slightly more space than 1 Deluxe compartment (but note that it still won't be that spacious, and you won't have the ensuite shower/WC, of course).

I was calling the +44 8718 8080 66, it would ring then hang up. I was calling during posted UK hours.

Then I would suggest calling +49 (0) 180 5 99 66 33, and asking for an English speaker.

forgiveomatic Apr 7, 2012 2:48 pm

Will they give us a Guest?

I just booked a deluxe sleeper on CNL from Mannheim to Copenhagen for my parents. If there is a third bed in the sleeper, will they put a stranger in that bed? They wanted it to be just the 2 of them and I am afraid now that I may have just made it so a stranger is in there too. Any thoughts?

Zaphod Apr 7, 2012 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by forgiveomatic (Post 18352196)
I just booked a deluxe sleeper on CNL from Mannheim to Copenhagen for my parents. If there is a third bed in the sleeper, will they put a stranger in that bed? They wanted it to be just the 2 of them and I am afraid now that I may have just made it so a stranger is in there too. Any thoughts?

No worries - if you booked a deluxe double, there will be no strangers in there.

kmandrew Nov 9, 2013 9:36 am

My wife and I are travelling from Amsterdam to Berlin on the sleeper. I see the Economy sleeper for 208 and Deluxe sleeper for 268 so 60 euros for a private bathroom. My question is since we will be boarding at 7 pm I would assume we would want to mingle and have a few drinks with fellow passengers does the train have a compartment for that? Also I checked 1st class so I assume the economy and deluxe sleepers are both in a 1st class part of the train?

linglingfool Nov 9, 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by KQ321 (Post 18171916)
Then I would suggest calling +49 (0) 180 5 99 66 33, and asking for an English speaker.

Even easier -- call this number and hit 9 for the English menu.

YVR Cockroach Nov 10, 2013 1:03 am

Everything you need to know is here:
http://www.citynightline.de/citynigh...sicht_en.shtml

The way CNL trains are configured (at least the ComfortLine single-deckers between Munich and Rome which is my 2 trip experience with them), the deluxe (shower) compartments are linked to economy (sink-only) compartments due to the bulge of the shower/bath (the shower compartment will not fit into the rectangular space of a deluxe compartment. The train is divided into sleeper cars (mix of 3 deluxe, 9 economy), regular seats and couchettes and may be all over the train depending on whether the train splits (or joins up) along the way.

http://www.citynightline.de/citynigh...ortline_en.pdf

http://www.citynightline.de/citynigh...ailansicht.pdf

Just a note that if you use 3 berths per cabin, the beds are apparently spaced closer to each other so it may be a bit more claustrophobic.

Not aware that there is a lounge car of any sort (depends on the route - see above). When you board, the attendant will offer you a drink which is a small bottle (1/4l or 1/4 of 3/4l) of wine or beer. You can fold up the bottom berth so it becomes a trio of seats.

Siebrand Nov 10, 2013 5:59 am

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 21755337)
My wife and I are travelling from Amsterdam to Berlin on the sleeper. I see the Economy sleeper for 208 and Deluxe sleeper for 268 so 60 euros for a private bathroom. My question is since we will be boarding at 7 pm I would assume we would want to mingle and have a few drinks with fellow passengers does the train have a compartment for that?

The train does not have a restaurant or buffet car from Amsterdam, I think it will be attached in Hannover around midnight. It is possible to get drinks and snacks from a couple of the crew compartments. Ask one of the crew where they are located.

In the couchette cars the side corridors offer some space to look out the window and mingle with other passengers. The sleeper cars are more private, and I am not sure how useable those corridors are for meeting other passengers.

kmandrew Nov 10, 2013 9:25 am

Bummer, how come all the movies show passengers having a great time drinking at the bar on the train?

exilencfc Nov 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Well some of them (the Copenhagen starter for example) do have bars which are quite sociable. Otherwise you may find you get chatting with your neighbours anyway, especially if you leave your door open.

I do think that all 3 berths occupied would be a bit of a squeeze. You wouldn't have much headroom in the bunks and floor space might also be an issue depending on what other luggage storage is available.

767400 Nov 11, 2013 10:51 am

Originally Posted by exilencfc (Post 21760717)
Well some of them (the Copenhagen starter for example) do have bars which are quite sociable. Otherwise you may find you get chatting with your neighbours anyway, especially if you leave your door open.

I do think that all 3 berths occupied would be a bit of a squeeze. You wouldn't have much headroom in the bunks and floor space might also be an issue depending on what other luggage storage is available.

The 3 berth cabin is a tight fit, we had 2 adults and a 6 year old child with us! If you had 3 full size adults in this cabin it would be very interesting, It is possible but I would not call this enjoyable if all the bunks are down. There is a lot of space for luggage up top but those racks are a good 8' in the air!! I am glad I made the journey and tried it.... but I probably wouldn't do it again.

I will see if I have any photos from our cabin and try and post up.