Wiki Posts
Search

Bahn.de - Missed connection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Bahn.de - Missed connection

I've booked self-print ticket for Amsterdam to Dusseldorf airport on bahn.de with following itinerary:

- 16:34 Amsterdam - 18:32 Duisburg Hbf (ICE)
- 18:42 Duisburg Hbf - 18:49 Dusseldorf Flughafen (RE)

Ticket says "GILT NUR FÜR EINGETRAGENE ZÜGE UND REISETAGE(ZUGBINDUNG)" - I understand it that I can use it only on those trains. However, what happens if first train (ICE) will be delayed say 15 minutes and therefore I'll miss my connection? Can I then simply hop on any other RE train to Dusseldorf Flughafen?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:51 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Yes. If the missed connection is out of your control, they will honor the ticket on other trains. Happened to me once too.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:50 am

As long as its on the same itinerary. It pretty unlikely that you'll get checked on the RE anyhow, its just 5 minutes.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
There are actually 2 factors here (both of which are in the OP's favour):
- On the 'Zugbindung' tickets, you have to travel on the specified long-distance trains (eg: ICE, IC/EC, D, CNL, EN, etc). However, if local trains (RE, IRE, RB, S), form part of the ticket, you don't need to travel on the specified local train, and can travel (once) on any other local train on that route the same day (or even first the following day, on some tickets). The ticket should say something like "NV = NAHVERKEHRSZÜGE VOR / NACH FERNVERKEHRSZÜGEN; GILT JE FAHRT MAX. 1 TAG BIS FOLGETAG 10 UHR"* (Some tickets don't explicitly have this condition written on them, but I think if it says "NV" for part of the routing, that rule still applies. The tickets do say that the routing written under the 'Fahrkarte' heading is binding, while the routing written under 'Ihre Reiseverbindung' is only advisory).

- If you miss a connection because a previous train on that ticket was late, then DB will allow you to take the next train. (In the case of short, local train, like this example, you can just jump on. However, for long-distance trains, I think you're supposed to check with DB first (eg: with the conductor on the delayed train), and if you're booked on a cheaper train (say IC/EC) and missed the connection, I'm not sure they'd would automatically let you take an ICE instead).

* NV = LOCAL TRANSPORTATION LINES BEFORE / AFTER LONG-DISTANCE TRAINS, IS PER TRIP MAX. 1 DAY UNTIL the following day 10 CLOCK
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by KQ321
The ticket should say something like "NV = NAHVERKEHRSZÜGE VOR / NACH FERNVERKEHRSZÜGEN; GILT JE FAHRT MAX. 1 TAG BIS FOLGETAG 10 UHR"*
I don't have this, but I have this:
"Gültigkeit: ab 03.01.2012 - 02.02.2012 NV (S/RB/RE/IRE)"

Anyway, I'll try to travel on my original train and should I miss it, I'll speak with conductor at ICE (or simply hop on next regional train to airport).

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by the810

Anyway, I'll try to travel on my original train and should I miss it, I'll speak with conductor at ICE (or simply hop on next regional train to airport).

Thanks for your help!
You don't have to - as others have pointed out, on that section you are allowed to use any regional train on that particular day. The trainbinding is only applicable to the ICE part (and moreover, in your case - only from the last Dutch station, i.e. Arnhem. But this is not relevant to your question).
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Another hint (although probably not applicable to this situation, as there are no other trains on the Netherlands-Düsseldorf relation): If your train is already delayed at your departure station and there is another train which will most likely enable you to catch your connecting train somewhere else, just check with the information counter of your departure station. They will most likely stamp your ticket with "Zugbindung aufgehoben" (train obligation revoked) so as to enable you to take the other train to make your connection (at least they usually do in germany). Should you miss your connection which in turn leads to a total delay of more than one hour, they have to pay compensation, so it is entirely in their interest to enable you to make the connection.

If you have already missed your train (or decide to take a train of a higher category to minimize your delay), I wouldn't use the information counter (or Service Point, as they say) but instead simply jump onto the next train. If you explain the situation to the conductor, everything will usually be fine. If they don't believe you, ask them to check with the dispatchers ("Transportleitung") and if they still want to charge you for the fare difference, demand that they note your name on the ticket, confirm everything with a clipper print (ask for a "Zangenabdruck") and later hand everything in to the "Servicecenter Fahrgastrechte" which is responsible for compensation and refund matters in such cases.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: FB
- If you miss a connection because a previous train on that ticket was late, then DB will allow you to take the next train. (In the case of short, local train, like this example, you can just jump on. However, for long-distance trains, I think you're supposed to check with DB first (eg: with the conductor on the delayed train), and if you're booked on a cheaper train (say IC/EC) and missed the connection, I'm not sure they'd would automatically let you take an ICE instead).
As mentioned several times already, tickets for most local trains in Germany and the Netherlands are not train-specific, even though it does say so on the ticket. There should be no problem whatsoever taking a different regional train to DUS.

On the Amsterdam to Duisburg line, you do require a train-specific ticket. Should you miss your connecting ICE train, a DB staff member will stamp your original ticket and write the details of your permitted new train on the ticket. You can now only travel on that train.

You will not be 'upgraded' from IC/EC to ICE.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by FrankC6
You will not be 'upgraded' from IC/EC to ICE.
I was allowed to travel on an ICE after missing a connection. I think it all depends on how long you would otherwise have to wait
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
The ticket should say something like "NV = NAHVERKEHRSZÜGE VOR / NACH FERNVERKEHRSZÜGEN; GILT JE FAHRT MAX. 1 TAG BIS FOLGETAG 10 UHR"*
Originally Posted by the810
The regional train portion is good for a month instead of just the next day, due to the fact that it's an international ticket. This provision can be useful if you plan ahead when booking.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
To add to the above, make sure you don't discard your ticket immediately upon arriving at Düsseldorf airport station as you'll probably want to take the inter-terminal transit, which is not free although it's included on any rail ticket.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
To add to the above, make sure you don't discard your ticket immediately upon arriving at Düsseldorf airport station as you'll probably want to take the inter-terminal transit, which is not free although it's included on any rail ticket.
Well, that shouldn't be necessary - while the train is technically part of the VRR fare system, I have never encountered a ticket check on the Skytrain, nor have several airport employees to which I have talked about the topic (and they should be on that transit every day). Another problem is that there is no DB ticket machine in the terminal building, only a Rheinbahn machine which doesn't sell tickets for journeys exceeding the VRR borders which would technically require you to buy several tickets at higher prices than a combined DB ticket from the long distance train station would cost. To be honest, I've never had a valid ticket to travel from the terminal to the train station, and I've never gotten into trouble.

Ah, and something more: If you are on tight connections and need to buy a ticket at the train station, be sure to be one of the first people (no - be the first) to get off the Skytrain and hurry - I mean it, hurry - towards the station, as there are only 4 ticketing machines available for the whole bunch of people getting off the Skytrain - and expect a majority to need more than 10 minutes to get their tickets out of the machines, as most people there don't know how to handle them.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by bruce80
Ah, and something more: If you are on tight connections and need to buy a ticket at the train station, be sure to be one of the first people (no - be the first) to get off the Skytrain and hurry - I mean it, hurry - towards the station, as there are only 4 ticketing machines available for the whole bunch of people getting off the Skytrain - and expect a majority to need more than 10 minutes to get their tickets out of the machines, as most people there don't know how to handle them.
Useful to know (although I think the OP is travelling in the other direction - arriving at DUS by train). Also, these days you can buy virtually all DB tickets online at bahn.de, and print them out yourself in advance - which can save precious minutes spent queuing at a ticket machine when trying to make a tight connection. (This is also useful at NUE, and perhaps other airports, where there's no DB ticket machine at the airport, but (some) DB tickets are valid on the U-bahn into town - so you don't need to buy a separate ticket for the U-bahn if you have a self-print DB ticket).

Slightly OT: I wish airports would put railway ticket machines inside the baggage hall. That way, you could easily buy your train tickets while waiting for baggage to arrive. A few airports seem to do this for car park tickets, but I don't think I've seen any that do it for train services.

My night-train memory, 2011 timetable:
Europe: R440, R441, CNL456, EN477, 60477, D347, D498, 435, 824
SE Asia: 69, SE3
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:02 am

Also, these days you can buy virtually all DB tickets online at bahn.de, and print them out yourself in advance - which can save precious minutes spent queuing at a ticket machine when trying to make a tight connection.
Yep, but that does only apply to tickets involving a journey involving some long-distance train. When you try to book a ticket within VRR (or even some types of regional train tickets within Northrhine-Westphalia), the DB website says "Preisauskunft nicht möglich" ("Price calculation not possible") and doesn't offer you the option to buy online. Your only option would be the Rheinbahn ticket machine at the Skytrain station (which only sells VRR tickets). There would be the option to buy your ticket using your cell phone (provided you have an internet connection), but for those living abroad, this doesn't really make sense as the connection fees are probably higher than the ticket itself.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by bruce80
Yep, but that does only apply to tickets involving a journey involving some long-distance train. When you try to book a ticket within VRR (or even some types of regional train tickets within Northrhine-Westphalia), the DB website says "Preisauskunft nicht möglich" ("Price calculation not possible") and doesn't offer you the option to buy online. Your only option would be the Rheinbahn ticket machine at the Skytrain station (which only sells VRR tickets). There would be the option to buy your ticket using your cell phone (provided you have an internet connection), but for those living abroad, this doesn't really make sense as the connection fees are probably higher than the ticket itself.
OK, good point. I guess I've never tried to purchase an urban-area ticket online. However, Länder Tickets are now available as self-print tickets online - which is very useful if you're travelling medium distance, and are happy to use regional trains. (As this means you're not tied to a specific train (as you would be with the Sparpreis tickets on ICEs/ICs) and therefore you don't have a problem if your flight is late and you need to take a later train, but also you don't need to waste time queuing if you've bought your ticket online in advance). However, a Länder Ticket would be an expensive alternative if in fact you only need an urban-area ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.