FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   European Rail Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel-654/)
-   -   Train from Garmisch into Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel/1285503-train-garmisch-into-italy.html)

robbosawtell Nov 28, 2011 7:47 pm

Train from Garmisch into Italy

We are a family of 6 adults staying in Garmisch Partenkirchen over Christmas/New Year. On the 2/1/12 we want to travel by train from Garmisch with 2 adults going to Venice and 4 going to Bologna in Italy, but we're not sure about ticketing and which trains. It's quite confusing.

clacko Nov 28, 2011 9:19 pm

i assume you want to ticket in advance?

if you have hotel reservations, i'm sure the hotel would have the answer, or certainly could get the answer...

JY1024 Nov 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk, robbosawtell! :) We'll shift your query over to the Europe forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

David-A Nov 29, 2011 5:20 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk robbosawtell.

In addition to the main 'Europe' section that your thread has been moved to, we also have a European rail travel section.

And Germany and Italy specific sections for general topics.

I can't answer your question myself, and sadly 'cross-posting' the same question in multiple threads (in different sections) is not allowed. If nobody comes along with an answer in this section you could try requesting a moderator moves your thread over into the European rail section.

Fanjet Nov 30, 2011 12:21 am

There are actually direct trains between Munich and Venice (I just took one this past summer). You're going to have to hook up with that line there or in Innsbruck. G-P is only served by regional trains. If you go to the Deutsche Bahn website (db.de), you'll be able to find the available fares and times. As for Bologna, you might have to travel via Milan (from Munich or Zurich). I'm not sure about that one.

railways Nov 30, 2011 6:06 am

Originally Posted by robbosawtell (Post 17530341)
We are a family of 6 adults staying in Garmisch Partenkirchen over Christmas/New Year. On the 2/1/12 we want to travel by train from Garmisch with 2 adults going to Venice and 4 going to Bologna in Italy, but we're not sure about ticketing and which trains. It's quite confusing.

I'm not sure why this wasn't moved to the European Rail forum.

The shortest and quickest route is via Innsbruck; it's also very picturesque as you descend into the Inn valley before arrival in Innsbruck.

From Innsbruck there is one direct daytime train to Bologna, and one to Venice. So if you want to travel together for most of the way, one party is going to have to change trains at Verona. The ticketing then gets complicated, because you will need to buy tickets:
1. From Garmisch to Innsbruck (you can do this at the station);
2. From Innsbruck to Bologna or Venice or Verona (do this online on the OeBB site - some good advance fares in 1st class); and
3. The the party changing at Verona needs a separate ticket to Venice or Bologna as appropriate (can be bought on the Trenitalia site).

If you don't mind travelling separately (or you could travel together as far as Innsbruck and spend some time there), it's simpler: only (1) and (2) apply.

The trains from Garmisch to Innsbruck are at 08:04 and 10:04 (arr. Innsbruck 09:23 and 11:23). The connecting trains are Innsbruck dep. 11:27 Bologna arr. 16:20 (train EC 85), and Innsbruck dep. 13:27, Venice arr. 18:10 (train EC 87). The 11:23 arrival at Innsbruck does not connect with the 11:27 departure.

You can travel via Munich and buy advance fares for the whole journey on the DB site (except the Trenitalia bit), but the journey is longer and you will find the fares more expensive for your date.

railways Nov 30, 2011 8:42 am

Actually, you could save yourselves a few euros by booking on the OeBB site from Scharnitz (to Venice etc) rather than from Innsbruck. It's the first station in Austria on the Garmisch - Innsbruck line, and the advance fares are the same as from Innsbruck.

Then you only need to buy a Garmisch - Scharnitz ticket (currently €9.90 per person). This doesn't affect your journey at all - you don't have to get off the train at Scharnitz.

chrissxb Nov 30, 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by David-A (Post 17536939)
In addition to the main 'Europe' section that your thread has been moved to, we also have a European rail travel section.

and that's the new home of this thread :)

regards,

chrissxb
co-moderator
europe forum