Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London to Munich?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:58 am
Original Poster

London to Munich?

What is the best route from London to Munich? Fly or go by car or go by train or by bus? I mean in terms of cost.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
IMHO Flying wins hands down...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
You can see for yourself flight prices at http://www.skyscanner.net and can work out the train route and costings at http://www.seat61.com/Germany.htm#Lo...leeper%20train

Picking up a cheap flight should be easy.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
The main issue I see with going by train is that you're going to have to change trains at either Brussels or Paris (change stations in Paris too) and that (based on a fake booking I just did) it would take between 9 and 10 hours (London St Pancras to Munich Hbf). So even if flying is a tad more expensive, it's still a hell of a lot faster
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Since you specify "by cost" - I would venture a guess that bus is the cheapest. Not that I would know any details about long-distance buses. But have a look at the Eurolines website.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Since you specify "by cost" - I would venture a guess that bus is the cheapest. Not that I would know any details about long-distance buses. But have a look at the Eurolines website.
Actually, they don't look cheaper than the cheapest flights:
http://www.eurolines.co.uk/eurolines...DASummer11.pdf

Probably better value if you are looking to book more last minute, when airline prices have shot up!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: their are many of them
I would fly

train is a long long ......long long long long trip
but i love traveling on the ICE in germany
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
I would fly

train is a long long ......long long long long trip
but i love traveling on the ICE in germany
Depends what you mean by long long long.

I've done it several times both ways, and enjoy it: I make a mini-break of it and stop off en route.

Will do it again at the end of the week, Salzburg - London, with a four-hour stop in Munich (for an Oktoberfest beer ) and an overnight stop in Brussels. Train fare was €49, booked ten days ago - bargain.^
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by railways
Will do it again at the end of the week, Salzburg - London, with a four-hour stop in Munich (for an Oktoberfest beer ) and an overnight stop in Brussels. Train fare was €49, booked ten days ago - bargain.^
Where did you find the €49 fare? I know www.bahn.de used to have €49 specials to London, but looking recently the best I could find was €89 each way. Have they put the prices up?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Reason077
Where did you find the €49 fare? I know www.bahn.de used to have €49 specials to London, but looking recently the best I could find was €89 each way. Have they put the prices up?
On DB, but you are right - it was extremely difficult. There used to be a €59 tranche, but this seems to have disappeared, and the fares are €49 - €69 - €89 and upwards now. I have been looking for weeks without success for the magical €49, and found this one only after several attempts. Generally, now you have to book very early to get them, whereas previously you could find them only a couple of weeks out.

Tip: start with the "most off-peak" ICE trains Cologne - Brussels and Brussels - Cologne, which are (respectively) Saturday evening and Sunday morning. In this case you are forced to stopover in Brussels both ways. (However, if you book early enough, you should find availability on other trains between Brussels and Cologne). Then you can build on the sectors beyond Cologne to/from your destination in Germany.

Second tip: if you want to, you can choose your Eurostar train by flexing the stopover time in Brussels. (The journey is priced according to the ICE you take to/from Brussels, and not the Eurostar train).
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone, doing some research, looks like air is the best option. Although train might be more enjoyable, watching the countryside from the train window is more fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.