Wiki Posts
Search

Munich to Paris advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 8 mm lifetime,1K, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Munich to Paris advice

Have any of you made the Munich to Paris run? Is the night sleeper trip the best way to go? Not sure of just how long this trip might be.

Thanks for any thoughts you have
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:06 am

I recently did the reverse, Paris to Munich, during the daytime. We left Paris at 7:30 am on the TGV, changed to the ICE in Stuttgart, then arrived in Munich at 1:30 pm. There was some scenery in eastern France, mainly rolling hills and small towns, but there really isn't a whole lot to look at. It was part of a pretty busy sightseeing trip so it was actually nice to have the 6 hours to relax on the trains. We booked the trip through bahn.com and we thought it was a good value even though we didn't get the deeply discounted rate because of how close to departure we booked. It looks like there are a few options for the Munich to Paris run, an early morning direct trip, an early morning with one change, a mid morning departure with one change, and an early afternoon departure with one change (there are other options but they involve more changes and longer trip times). Then there is the overnight train as you mentioned, which I have never done so I can't give much advice on that. You may want to check out the Seat61 website for more info.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Have any of you made the Munich to Paris run? Is the night sleeper trip the best way to go? Not sure of just how long this trip might be.

Thanks for any thoughts you have
What do you consider as "best"?

You have a choice of day trains, generally requiring one transfer (unless you take the direct train leaving Munich at 06:20) - as bmorechris says - with a journey time of about 6h 15m - or the night train, leaving at 22:43 and arriving in Paris at 09:23, but saving you a night in a hotel.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:45 am
c00

Programs: AC*G
I'd avoid changing trains (odds are that delays may add up - especially in Stuttgart), so use the direct connection if possible. I personally try to avoid overnight trains and prefer a hotel, but YMMV
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the great information. The train time of 6 hours is not too bad so we may just do the daytime run.

Regards,

Rob Troxel
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I've done both runs, Paris-Munich and Munich-Paris. The German countryside is quite stunning, so take the day train if possible. I believe we changed trains in Strasbourg and had a short layover, enough time to buy a postcard and mail it from La Poste.

When are you going? If in October or November, remember that Oktoberfest and Carnival are very popular celebrations - so book early. Carnival is mainly celebrated in the Rhineland, but don't be surprised if college students dressed in animal costumes are at the train station.

Definitely go to Dachau for a day trip, if you're able to fit it into your itinerary.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
When are you going? If in October or November, remember that Oktoberfest and Carnival are very popular celebrations - so book early. Carnival is mainly celebrated in the Rhineland, but don't be surprised if college students dressed in animal costumes are at the train station.
Okotoberfest is in September (yes, I know - very confusing!), and although the Carnival Season officially starts at 11:11 on 11 November things don't really kick off until the New Year, with the main festivities taking place just before Ash Wednesday.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! We will be traveling during the first/second week of December and have changed our routing starting in Munich,(3 days) then heading to Zurich/Lucerne(3 days) and then on to Paris (3 days). Anyone have advice on getting from Lucerne to Paris via rail during the day? It has been 6 years since we have been in Paris so I'm wondering if any of you can update us on a reasonable priced hotel near the first or 8th arrondisments ?

Regards to all.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
get a train from lucerne to basel sbb. TGV runs from Basel to Paris few times a day, too
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Chriss

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.