Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice traveling within Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Advice traveling within Europe

Hi All- I will be in Paris in late June of this year. I want to travel to Zurich, Frankfurt and Amsterdam within about a 7 time frame. What would be the best way?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:32 pm

It depends. You can take trains (day or night) to most of these locations. Are you proposing visiting all four of these cities in a total of seven days? Experienced travelers, including myself, will discourage that.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
As you've posted in the rail travel section, I assume your primary interest is going by train.

Best to make a start with www.seat61.com for an overview of European rail companies and recommended routes as well as www.bahn.com/i/view/index.shtml for continent wide timetables.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Adventure- the seven days will cover Amsterdam, Zurich and Frankfurt. I will be in Paris for a couple of days while Im working so Ill be able to check the city out during that time.

I am thinking of trains but would flying be better?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by governor
Adventure- the seven days will cover Amsterdam, Zurich and Frankfurt. I will be in Paris for a couple of days while Im working so Ill be able to check the city out during that time.

I am thinking of trains but would flying be better?
Are you going to Zurich and Frankfurt on business? If not, why did you pick those cities? I'd rather spend my time in the area between Paris and Amsterdam. Tons to see and do there without trying to get all over the continent in a week.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

there are some clubs I wanted to check out in zurich and frankfurt

Originally Posted by adventureadam
Are you going to Zurich and Frankfurt on business? If not, why did you pick those cities? I'd rather spend my time in the area between Paris and Amsterdam. Tons to see and do there without trying to get all over the continent in a week.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I think the consensus here is that Paris and Amsterdam are two of the most fascinating cities in Europe, and Zurich and Frankfurt are dead boring! Suit yourself, but I do like train travel within Europe over flying since there's no need for lengthy trips from city center to an airport. The other factor is that doing all of these cities in only 7 days does not really allow for much of anything in depth. Spend the least amount of time in Frankfurt!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I would also skip Frankfurt on this trip. As far as travelling between Paris and Amsterdam, the train's a no-brainer. As for other destinations, check on Bahn's website what the travel time is. Then decide if it's worth an overnight train ride or if it's better to fly.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:40 am

On the other hand, if the OP definitely wants to visit Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Zurich, Frankfurt is a convenient mid-way stopping off point between the other two cities.

Journey time Amsterdam - Frankfurt and Frankfurt - Zurich is only about 4 hours (for each leg) on direct trains; and you should be able to get some decent savings fares on the DB website.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by railways
On the other hand, if the OP definitely wants to visit Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Zurich, Frankfurt is a convenient mid-way stopping off point between the other two cities.

Journey time Amsterdam - Frankfurt and Frankfurt - Zurich is only about 4 hours (for each leg) on direct trains; and you should be able to get some decent savings fares on the DB website.
True enough.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: KLM, Thalys
Originally Posted by railways

OTOH, he could also take the night train from Amsterdam to Zurich and save time.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:50 am
Original Poster

thanks for everyones advice. Yes I am specifically looking to visit each of those areas. Let me try to be more clear.

Business meetings on june 28th in paris. Would like to be there by the 27th to prepare. I can leave LAX as early as june 23rd. company will fly me into paris and I can leave from wherever I want. If I arrive in paris on 24th I will have hotel covered until the 28th so I figure I will start my trip in paris. From paris I can then travel to each of my destinations.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:49 am

However you travel (train or plane), book your tickets online as early as possible, you will save a lot!

For Paris-Amsterdam and Paris-Frankfurt (or vice versa), check www.voyages-sncf.com (from 35 and 39 euro respectively).

For Amsterdam-Frankfurt, check www.nshighspeed.nl and www.bahn.de

For Frankfurt-Zurich, check www.bahn.de and Swiss Railways at: https://www.sbb.ch/mct/wi/shop/b2c/tree.do?key=30 (choose the major cities option).

Both are available from 39 euro in advance.

Zurich is out of your way, and if you book a through ticket from there to either Paris or Amsterdam (or vice versa), it will be rather expensive (77 euro). Instead, you may consider buying separate tickets, connecting in Strasbourg (and it's definitely worth stopping there for a couple of hours!): one from the SBB website above (to Strasbourg) and the other on the SNCF website to Paris. If the SBB does not give you a convenient inexpensive connection to Strasbourg, instead buy a 19 euro ticket from Zurich to Kehl (last town in Germany, just before Strasbourg) on the DB website and go via Germany.

You may also consider flying between Basel and Amsterdam on easyJet, or using the night train for this route, having booked it on the DB website (the train starts/ends in Zurich, yet it's much cheaper to use it from Basel, if you book online!).

Last edited by nofrills; Apr 17, 2011 at 7:04 am
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: none
To quote: "" .....much cheaper to use it from Basel, if you book online ! ""

Please note: the 'cheaper version' would have to be from Basel Badischer Bahnhof (DB) not Basel SBB !!! (a walking distance of maybe 35 min.)
Old Apr 16, 2011, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by kanopemainer
To quote: "" .....much cheaper to use it from Basel, if you book online ! ""

Please note: the 'cheaper version' would have to be from Basel Badischer Bahnhof (DB) not Basel SBB !!! (a walking distance of maybe 35 min.)
There's also a streetcar (line 2 - should take 9 minutes).

Last edited by Track; Apr 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.