Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to plan rail travel in Eastern Europe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I will be in Budapest April 4, 2011 until April 15, 2011. I am planning to take the train from Budapest - Bratislava on April 4, Bratislava - Brno on April 5, Brno - Prague on April 6, Prague - Vienna on April 9, and finally Vienna - Budapest April 12.

The easiest way to do this is book a 5 day European East 2nd class pass for $214 through RailEurope. I have also skimmed through a few threads where they mentioned Eastern European rail travel is quite affordable, from 19-29 Euro and they do not sell out. 1st time in Europe, would everyone suggest I book through RailEurope instead of going to the station the day of to purchase tickets. Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:53 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway

1. Buy a ticket.

2. Get on train.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:06 am

Programs: KLM, Thalys
Originally Posted by 22calbr
The easiest way to do this is book a 5 day European East 2nd class pass for $214 through RailEurope. I have also skimmed through a few threads where they mentioned Eastern European rail travel is quite affordable, from 19-29 Euro and they do not sell out. 1st time in Europe, would everyone suggest I book through RailEurope instead of going to the station the day of to purchase tickets. Thanks.
RailEurope, from what I read here, adds additional charges to the tickets, so if you don't mind paying extra, then buy from them.

If you would like to be a little more adventurous (and save money), you might start at the European Railway Server. Click on "Links" at the top and you will have a page with every European rail company links. You can try several countries to get an idea of costs and how to buy a ticket.

Another option is to use the German railway site because they offer both trains service and ticket sales to other countries. Germany is also located very close to most of the countries you want to visit, so it might even be cheaper to fly to Germany, then take the train to the closest city you plan to visit.

Good luck.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:46 pm

we're taking the rail in Dec. 2010 from Vienna to Prague to Budapest, using Euro Railways Passes. RailEurope charges more, but you do get a nice time schedule booklet (which it doesn't appear you need). If you buy the pass, you still need reservations (about $12 extra)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:44 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Barbara Z
we're taking the rail in Dec. 2010 from Vienna to Prague to Budapest, using Euro Railways Passes. RailEurope charges more, but you do get a nice time schedule booklet (which it doesn't appear you need). If you buy the pass, you still need reservations (about $12 extra)
If you haven't already booked this, and are just doing the city-to-city journeys, it may well be a lot cheaper to book direct. It's easy to get Vienna - Prague for €29 (including reservation) and Prague - Budapest for Kr481 (also including reservation) by booking online at http://www.oebb.at/ and http://www.cd.cz/ respectively.

That's a little over $50 all-in.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:31 am

I doubt walking to the counter an hour before the train leaves and buying these 5 tickets individually would be $214. Maybe though.

As said above, you could save significantly if you plan ahead, buy your tickets at least 3 days in advance, stick to specific trains, etc.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by adventureadam
I doubt walking to the counter an hour before the train leaves and buying these 5 tickets individually would be $214. Maybe though.

As said above, you could save significantly if you plan ahead, buy your tickets at least 3 days in advance, stick to specific trains, etc.
+1 ..
I would never buy from rail europe.. they r quite expensive and if u hv specific dates in mind, its much cheaper ( more than 50% IMO) to buy it through one of the railway booking sites of the country u r travelling to.. so for budapest - bratislava - prague, try to buy in hungarian or czech railway site.. for prague -- vienna buy in czech railway site as its cheaper in that site compared to obb..
Basic point is for the route u mentioned, USD214 is a lot from my experience.. I believe its possible within USD 100 easily with only a lil planning..
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Wow thanks for all the advice guys and gals. I most defintely will try to check the individual train websites.

"15 minutes on FT can save you 50% or more off your train travels...."
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:03 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by 22calbr
Wow thanks for all the advice guys and gals. I most defintely will try to check the individual train websites.

"15 minutes on FT can save you 50% or more off your train travels...."
more important is that u get a lot of knowledge which can save u much more in the long run

Hope u continue to be a part of this community and are able to contribute whatever u can here in the future
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Barbara Z
That booklet has maybe 10% of the trains in Europe. If you want a printed timetable google Thomas Cook’s all-Europe timetable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.