Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dual USA / Polish passport, live & work in the UK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:51 am
Original Poster

My finance is moving from the USA to the UK to marry me, she holds a dual USA / polish passport.

So she can live and work here without being deported am I correct in believing that she must enter the UK as a polish / EU citizen then we just get on with life? she needs to be able to work asap as, well thats what we do

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Hi 6000miles. Welcome to FT!

As an EU citizen, your wife has full right to live and work in the United Kingdom.

As to how she enters the UK, it would make the most sense to enter with her Polish passport. If she enters on her US passport, she will (most likely) be given 6 months' limited leave to remain with no recourse to public funds and without the right to work (as will be stamped in her passport). This will not apply to her, but it would be more sensible to enter the UK on her Polish passport than her US passport.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 3:17 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Also a welcome from me 6000miles.

I would double check if the UK has no special arrangement for EU citizens with Eastern
European passports. Some western European countries had temporary restrictions because they were afraid of an "invasion" by cheap Eastern European workers.

If there is no restriction your fiance can live and work with no restrictions in the UK. She might need to register with the auhtorities for tax purpose, health insurance but I really don't know how it exactly works in the UK.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:18 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by caspritz78
I would double check if the UK has no special arrangement for EU citizens with Eastern
European passports. Some western European countries had temporary restrictions because they were afraid of an "invasion" by cheap Eastern European workers.
Along with most EU citizens, Polish citizens have free right to live and work in the UK.

The only EU countries whose citizens have residence and employment restrictions within the UK are Bulgaria and Romania.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by caspritz78
If there is no restriction your fiance can live and work with no restrictions in the UK. She might need to register with the auhtorities for tax purpose, health insurance but I really don't know how it exactly works in the UK.
She will need to apply for a National Insurance number - which is something she will need to do herself, and which she should do as soon as possible after she arrives.

Her tax paperwork will be taken care of once she starts work - her employer will give her a form to complete.

Welcome to FT, and congratulations on the forthcoming marriage!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
No restrictions for Polish citizens living and working in the UK (there are hundreds of thousands of them, literally).

A very good (and official) reference for your rights as an EU citizen is here:

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope

(In all 21 official languages, ^)
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information and the warm welcome all, it is greatly apreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.