Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone spent time in Dubrovnik?

Old Jan 23, 09, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)

I am planning a holiday in Dubrovnik in June before the summer rush. Does anyone have comments on the area? Where to stay, where to eat, what to do, what to see?

Looks like Croatian content is rather light on FT!
Old Jan 23, 09, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I spent a long week-end there a few years ago: stayed at the Hotel Exelsior just outside the city walls. At the time, it was somewhat 'faded glory' but still great. It's had a major refurb since I believe.

I would definitely recommend one of those hotels rather than the much-vaunted city centre ones during fine weather (if going in winter, city centre better option).

It's really very beautiful -- walking along the city walls is a unique experience. And the food -- especially seafood is really delicious and depending on where you have it -- from v. affordable to rather expensive.

Enjoy!

tb
Old Jan 23, 09, 2:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Amb Gold, Marriott Plat, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, BA Blue, FB Ivory
June will probably be busy. We went for 4 days in May last year and it was shockingly packed during the day. Many cruise ships now dock there and the cruise passengers started arriving in Dubrovnik around 9.30am and stayed till around 5 or 6pm. The crowds were so dense that we stayed out of the centre during the day and wandered around in the early evening which was more atmospheric.

We stayed at the Hilton just at the city walls. It's an old hotel refurbished by Hilton and it was a good choice for wandering in and out easily.

Last edited by NorthOrSouth; Jan 23, 09 at 2:54 pm Reason: Spelling!
Old Jan 23, 09, 3:59 pm

It's noticeable how the prices rise (just a bit!) and signs appear in shops in Dubrovnik offering specials to cruisers once a cruise ship hits town. Once the ship sails, it's back to business as usual.

I stayed at the Hotel Vis on the Lapad peninsula, close to the Hotel Uvala and several others. It is slightly in a time warp, in that there is nothing for children, but the rooms are comfortable and there's loads of hot water. There's no pool but the pebble beach is just below the hotel. It's very convenient for the bus service into town and bus tickets can be bought from the hotel's reception. It's only 3 star and there are plenty of hotels that are more luxurious and have higher star ratings, but I felt it was honest and reasonably priced for a break. I would only recommend you take breakfast there!!

Besides visiting Dubrovnik, might I also suggest the natural reserve of Lokrum Island just off shore - very peaceful and a break from the narrow streets of the old city, and Cavtat (pronounced Sav-tat) which is 40 mins by boat and is a more traditional resort. I also enjoyed two full day coach tours to Mostar in Bosnia and Cetinje and the Kotor Fjords in Montenegro.

We went in May and unfortunately hit a rainy patch but I would recommend Dubrovnik for an adult holiday.
Old Jan 30, 09, 1:15 pm

You can often find a good deal on a rental apartment. I stayed a block outside one of the main gates through the old city walls in a nice apartment at a very reasonable price.
Old Feb 1, 09, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
I'd be sure to consider additional stops along the dalmatian coast, depending on how much time you have and especially if you're the type to prefer moving around and seeing the sights rather than lounging in one place for a week. There's a substantial ferry network worth checking out.

IIRC, I flew into Split, ferried to Hvar, then Korcula, then Dubrovnik, flew out of Dubrovnik. This was in August or September a couple years back, about a week after the end of high season.

A couple nights was all i really needed in Dubrovnik. I personally found the island of Hvar to be the highlight of my trip.

(In Dubrovnik, I also stayed at a hotel in the Lapad Peninsula area. It proved to be pleasant choice, separated from the old city mayhem and near a beachy enclave of hotels and a pedestrian street with all sorts of restaurants. A short public bus ride into town. Not too difficult.)

Last edited by 1015-1k; Feb 1, 09 at 11:24 pm
Old Feb 2, 09, 12:14 am

Programs: UA/AA
No need to prebook.

Everybody in Dubrovnik who has a room or apartment to rent greets the busses and ferries. You will have a wide selection of price, quality and location depending on your budget and expectations.

Plus, you will be able to negotiate room rates on-site, like William Shatner. June is relatively early in the tourist season, and hotels are far short of capacity.

Other posters are right. Smaller towns/islands like Dubrovnik, St. Tropez, and Santorini get absolutely overwhelmed by the cruise ships when in port.
Old Feb 3, 09, 8:53 am

Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
I was there a few years ago in mid-September and it was packed.
Old Feb 10, 09, 4:59 pm

I've been three times, in May, June and July and I have noticed a huge surge in the throngs of people in the city the further out we get from the war. It actually takes at least a decade after something that disastrous for people here in the U.S. to get that association out of their minds. It's gone now and it is crowded. It is gorgeous there however, just amazing. I've stayed at the Excelsior as well and was most unimpressed since at that time it was supposed to be their best hotel. They have added a number of great places since then. We've also done the renting rooms from the ladies where the boats come in. That was, OK I guess. One time it was interesting and fun, one time, uncomfortable.
I too would recommend Lokrum Island and also the other nearby islands you can get to on the "fish picnic" boats, where they cook out on the boats as you spend the day touring the islands. Great fun. Split is lovely as well, as it Brac island off its coast, with the country's most famous beach Zlatni Rat.

Do your research and you'll be fine.

Search this Thread